PDA

View Full Version : Anyone develop a universal app in Corona SDK?

chrono1081
Apr 9, 2011, 01:09 AM
Hi guys,

I'm working on a project in Corona SDK (omg if you never used it its amazing! I can't tell you how much faster my projects been going since I switched from hand coding everything to using Corona.)

Anyway I want to make my app universal but I can't seem to find way to load images specific to the iPad without having to scale them.

For the iPhone 3Gs and the iPhone 4G Corona uses Apples model of @2x to load different resolution images, but is there a way to also do this for iPad?

I know its a super long shot and this isn't the best forum to ask in but since I didn't buy Corona yet I don't have access to their forums.

KarlJay
Apr 9, 2011, 04:54 AM
I'm not using Corona SDK, but wondering about how it works. I saw the youtube vid on it and the code doesn't look like Obj-C, it looks like something more like c++ without ";" at the end.

Is this an engine that runs off a script? What control do you have over performance tuning? How does it intergate with regular iPhone app code, if you wanted to put code in your game that stopped and displayed an ad for your web site, could you do that?

Just based on the demo video, it looks like it would do great for simple games, but I would be concerned over level of control. If a game starts to do well, you might decide that you need to tweak it a certain way, I wonder if this allows low-level coding.

chrono1081
Apr 9, 2011, 02:39 PM
I don't want to say its an engine since it doesn't have all the tools an engine does but its basically an SDK that uses Lua script to interface with Cocoa and OpenGL. Its actually pretty powerful. It has the best performance I've seen in a 2D SDK and I did a bunch of tests on it, like loading tons of physics objects and moving them around screen. All graphics are hardware accelerated so everything I tried runs very smooth.

For a 2D game I honestly haven't found a better solution (unless you hand code everything but that takes forever). For a 3D project I'd still stick with something like Unity (my personal favorite).

As for iAds I'm pretty sure it can be implemented but I didn't look into it. I know it was on a feature request a year ago so I would assume by now its been implemented. I just started really using it about a week ago on a new project I started. So far I am loving what I am seeing and my coding time has been cut significantly.

KarlJay
Apr 9, 2011, 03:22 PM
I downloaded it, so I'm going to give it a shot. My main concern will be the flexability.

In the past we used to call things like these 3rd party tools and they can be life savers! It really depends on what level of control you retain. With a newer os, you'll have API's come out from time to time.

It would be nice to have an Open Source version of one of these, that gives you the best of all worlds.

I'll check it out next week.