PDA

View Full Version : Apple Imac G3 making hissing sound

jpproductions
Mar 2, 2005, 01:31 PM
Hello, I purchased An Imac of ebay, arrived yesterday, and got it out of the box, from what I could tell looked okay, but when I went to power it up it made a very bad hissing noise, this continues when ever I use it, and I am worried that it will blow and catch a light when I use it next time. I used it for about 15 minutes last night and I shut it down correctly, went back later and it wouldn't turn on, just made the hissing sound, and just wouldn't power up, turned it on this morning and it did power up but it is still making the hissing sound. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it?

Cheers

Jp Productions

mcgarry
Mar 2, 2005, 01:48 PM
It's hard to say without hearing it what your sound is, but I have used a G3 iMac for years. It has no fan, so the only things that can make noise are the HDD and the optical drive. At least, if it's working properly, those are the only things that should be making noise. Even in that case, maybe one of those two components is somehow faulty: bad drives can make funny noises. But without hearing the sound, it's hard to say.

Of course, there's the speakers too ... make that 3 things that should be making noise.

rogerw
Mar 2, 2005, 02:02 PM
Hello, I purchased An Imac of ebay, arrived yesterday, and got it out of the box, from what I could tell looked okay, but when I went to power it up it made a very bad hissing noise, this continues when ever I use it, and I am worried that it will blow and catch a light when I use it next time. I used it for about 15 minutes last night and I shut it down correctly, went back later and it wouldn't turn on, just made the hissing sound, and just wouldn't power up, turned it on this morning and it did power up but it is still making the hissing sound. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it?

Cheers

Jp Productions

This could be the eht cap attatchment to the crt causing a chrona disharge around the area

If the unit is in a damp room, or has been in a smoky enviroment in its past life, this could be the cause. There will be approximatley 25KV coming out of this and it could be tracking inside across the surface of the tube local to this connection.

IF it is this, you must take it to an authorised repair chappie. The area around this connection will be cleaned and this will normally fix it. This process will involve discharging the crt and if you *uck this up, you will have major problems. If it is this, dont ignore it because it could flash over and damage some components