Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Are there any iBook fans here? Everyone seems to love there PBs and PMs (for good reason) but you most never here anyone rave about there iBook. Well...I love my iBook. Its a G3 900, and I always find myself using it over my iMac G5 or PM G5. Not just becuase its a laptop, but becuase I just love it. I was wondering what others felt about theres. and yes, I have had the logic board replaced, twice.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i am a huge ibook fan

well priced and great for the average dude. the ibook is tough and dependable. i think its a fantastic computer.

i plan on getting a g5 for my intense work and keeping my ibook for the personal computer.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I am looking on Ebay every day for a 14" 1 gig model.

I want one for around the house wireless surfing/email, light photoshop/illustrator work when I'm away from my G5, and other things laptops are good for.

I never really conisidered one until two of my switchers got them, and I loved using theirs - they are just great little machines.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
I think what drew me to it was more the White/minimaistic look than the price, even thought it was a good deal, even at 1400 when I bought it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I got an iBook 12" over a PB 12" motivated purely by looks. w00t w00t! I'm such a dork. :p

But it does say something for the style of the iBook that the look has been out for four (?) years now, since the original G3 white iBooks, and people are still buying it today because it looks better than anything else on the market. Although I think that's just as true for the PBs (I think the TiBooks look better, personally, but...).

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
When my 800mHz 12" iBook G3 is working, I love it. When the logicboard dies, I want to throw it through a window. Seriously though, it is a great machine and I would never trade my iBook for any other laptop. Even though it has so many problems, I still love it. I guess this would be true for any Mac. I've never heard a PC user say they love their computer...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yep, I'm an iBook fan too. Had a tangerine clamshell for awhile, but it wasn't fast enough so I got a 12" 1.2GHz iBook with the built-in bluetooth and airport extreme , maxed out the RAM, and couldn't be happier. :)

I now use it as my primary computer, and my old PM G4 just sits and folds and snipes eBay auctions for me. The best part is, I have all my files with me now at all times!

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
I like my iBook

I still use and abuse my 500 mHz G3 iBook daily, and the darn thing just won't stop working. I'd like to get a new Mac sooner or later (probably a desktop - Mac mini or iMac) but until then, I am sure this iBook will keep plugging away. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Quark all run well enough to get things accomplished.

A toast to the iBook! :D

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I love the older clamshell ibooks. IMO, they are much more sturdy than the newer G3 ibooks (haven't really used the G4 ones.) I have had nothing but bad luck with my 500 and 700 mhz ibooks. :(

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
latergator116 said:
I love the older clamshell ibooks. IMO, they are much more sturdy than the newer G3 ibooks (haven't really used the G4 ones.) I have had nothing but bad luck with my 500 and 700 mhz ibooks. :(

I dunno, my iBook G4 feels pretty solid to me. The old clamshells were TANKS, except for the tray-loading drive. And a bit on the heavy side. That's why it was so refreshing to get a 12" iBook that's compact, much lighter, and slot-loading drive.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
virividox said:
i like the ibooks, cept the whole line that had the logic board problems and the toilet seat ones

but other than that they are good entery level machines

I never really thought of them as toilet seats. Very funny! For my purposes, my iBook G4 is great. I did do a bit of upgrading but I can't imagine getting another one any time soon. The 12 inch is especially nice. Clean and functional. Toilet seats :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
My iBook does everything I want it to do and then some :p I use it as my main Mac everyday and so does my girlfriend. She put it next to her Gateway and put her laptop back down with a slight "think I should sell the old GW?" She doesn't like pc's anymore since she moved in. :D Now she wants an iBook 12" of her own, what can I say...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
ldburroughs said:
I never really thought of them as toilet seats. Very funny! For my purposes, my iBook G4 is great. I did do a bit of upgrading but I can't imagine getting another one any time soon. The 12 inch is especially nice. Clean and functional. Toilet seats :D

Just think if they combined the old clamshell iBooks with the case material and color of the new iBook G4's, then you REALLY have a toilet seat. :D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
My iBook 500Mhz is by far my favorite computer that I've ever had. It's performed well at everything I've asked it to do, and served as my trustworthy companion during my time in the Peace Corps. Great little machine.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i have and love my PowerBook and i would not trade it for anything... but the iBook is beautiful. if i didnt have the money for a PB i would NOT hesitate getting an iBook.

and people say its tougher than a PB.

my girlfriend wants one :) and im trying to get my gran to buy one for my families holiday home in spain... or 2 ;)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I have a G4 iBook (not at the moment though as the logic board has gone and it's in for repair) and I love it. He's called Carl.... must remember to get out more! :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i love my clamshell 300 mhz ibook from 1999...it worked 100 percent for a full five years until the modem broke

it's still good for word processing, light graphics (i have photoshop, illustrator, and pagemaker on it), and older games...if i do need to resort to heavier duty tasks with those adobe products, i have a power mac but it rarely goes that far

the ibook is relatively quiet compared to a dual g4 power mac which is very loud and not fun to use for everyday tasks...i only like to use the duallie if i need the horesepower

i have never owned or used the newer g3 or g4 icebooks and i have heard mixed reviews on the g3 icebook models yet many people still swear by them

my next mac will probably, unfortunately, be some desktop since in five years of using laptops, i found i rarely ever leave the house with them so i can't justify getting a laptop which has a slower hard drive, smaller hard drive, and smaller screen than an equally appointed mac desktop for the same price...and with desktops, you can expand easier

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
um ... is this an iBook owner thing to think that nobody likes iBooks? everybody likes iBooks!

As to the original post about not hearing people "rave" about them as much, well, typically they are simply different-looking, less powerful, less expensive PowerBooks with better battery life ... but essentially similar computers at heart. So that limits the iBook-specific raves to appearance, price, or sometimes battery life, no surprise there. The iBook's all about value in portability, which is great, it just doesn't always bring on the raves.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
iBook

iBooks are built TOUGH! Dropped mine twice, once on concrete, and it's still running, there is slight damage to the screen, but I can live with it. Besides when I inquired Apple for a screen repair, they were saying $800+... WTF? :eek:

iBooks definitely are better than pB's on battery life and AirPortExtreme reception. At work, when I use my iB the wireless signal is full-on all the time. When I use my pB the signal goes from full-on to 3 bars... Hmmm? It could be because of the metal casing as apposed to the plastic casing of the iB.

iBooks are very good when your travelling.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Huge iBook fan here.

Good computer. Great price. Solid. Light. Sufficient power for my needs. etc.

I would prefer a 12" PBook but don't have the cash. But I'm still really happy with the iBook. :) :) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.