Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What'll you be doing when Lion comes out?

• Stick with Snow Leopard

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Upgrade to Lion!

Votes: 93 60.8%
  • Wait until Lion bugs etc are fixed then buy it.

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • Dunno, I'm on the fence...

Votes: 12 7.8%

• Total voters

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
When Lion comes out will you be sticking with SL, upgrading to Lion or waiting and seeing what other features Lion has and for Apple to fix any glitches/compatibility issues?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Let's make this easy, no need for a poll.

Those who rely on their machine for work:
Will test on a separate machine and wait until things are clear. They may stick with Snow Leopard for quite a while.

Those who care about having the latest and greatest:
Will upgrade immediately.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
How can anyone answer this now? We have a few people on this forum that have tested Lion, and say they don't like it. Others say they do. From what I've heard, Lion and iOS 5 are supposed to take the idevice/Mac experience to the next level. Add to that, the inevitable cloud. An OS with cloud based storage and sharing, sounds great to me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you'll see the majority of respondents post that they want lion - its the latest thing from apple and most people here are apple fans so it stands to reason they'll want to upgrade.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
I will upgrade on my MacBook Air immediately, but i will wait a bit before upgrading on my iMac (until i know about possible bugs) since it is my Heavy-Duty- and Office-Mac.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll stick with Snow Leopard. I see little incentive for me to upgrade to 10.7. There's really no feature that has tempted me.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'll stick with Snow Leopard. I see little incentive for me to upgrade to 10.7. There's really no feature that has tempted me.

Although I'm an Apple fan and want to have the latest OS on my MBP, I have to agree with you there. I might if I could slip it in without having to re-install all my stuff, but thats impossible. I can't be bothered putting all my software back on my MBP just for a minor upgrade...

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
where's the option for "time your next mac purchase so you get snow leopard for now, but qualify for an up-to-date copy of lion to have when bugs are ironed out/applications require it"? :p

i got burned by adopting snow leopard at launch, and i'm exceedingly leery of jumping onto a new os too soon. snow leopard still has some persistent issues fo me, so i'd probably try them both, see which is least painful and go with that..

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I'm a bit hazy on something. Will I be able to *upgrade* from Snow Leopard to Lion, or will I have to do a complete reinstall? If the latter, that's going to really piss me off as I've just had to reinstall Snow Leopard. =/ And using a Time Machine backup isn't always an option when you want to rid yourself of a bunch of needless preferences and old program traces.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Although I'm an Apple fan and want to have the latest OS on my MBP, I have to agree with you there. I might if I could slip it in without having to re-install all my stuff, but thats impossible. I can't be bothered putting all my software back on my MBP just for a minor upgrade...

So it seems... for some, they want the latest OS but don't really mind the features. They are as much excited for the new 10.6.x release as for 10.7, am I right?

Well, I'll give everyone who likes it a nice, warm Meh. (Like a hug, but then just... Meh)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm a bit hazy on something. Will I be able to *upgrade* from Snow Leopard to Lion, or will I have to do a complete reinstall? If the latter, that's going to really piss me off as I've just had to reinstall Snow Leopard. =/ And using a Time Machine backup isn't always an option when you want to rid yourself of a bunch of needless preferences and old program traces.

You'll be able to upgrade.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
How can anyone answer this now? We have a few people on this forum that have tested Lion, and say they don't like it. Others say they do. From what I've heard, Lion and iOS 5 are supposed to take the idevice/Mac experience to the next level. Add to that, the inevitable cloud. An OS with cloud based storage and sharing, sounds great to me.
Exactly. It's basically going to be one of the most major upgrades to OS X. There isn't anything minor about it.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I will wait a few months after it is out ... Snow Leopard does everything I need right now so for me there is no rush for Lion

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Exactly. It's basically going to be one of the most major upgrades to OS X. There isn't anything minor about it.

A minor GUI overhaul and a few new features isn't exactly a major OS upgrade IMO.

Tiger and Leopard - They were MAJOR upgrades. Tiger made OSX usable for tons and tons of people (myself included) and Leopard overhauled almost the entire OS. Lion doesn't do anything near that!

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Thus far there's nothing in Lion of interest to me.

Lately the latest is not always the greatest if it comes from Apple.

Sad but true.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
A minor GUI overhaul and a few new features isn't exactly a major OS upgrade IMO.

Tiger and Leopard - They were MAJOR upgrades. Tiger made OSX usable for tons and tons of people (myself included) and Leopard overhauled almost the entire OS. Lion doesn't do anything near that!

Just a simple question -

Was Windows 7 a major upgrade over Vista?

OR

XP for that matter?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Was Windows 7 a major upgrade over Vista?
The perception is a major upgrade but in reality, it was a minor (maybe medium). By that time, MS had righted the Vista ship, but it was too little too late, in the eyes of the consumer. Vista was a dog in the eyes of the public (and enterprises) and they chose to wait until win7

I've used both vista and win7 and its definitely different, the look, feel even to a degree the performance.

Between OSX 10.5 and 10.6 you really can't say that, visually speaking you really couldn't tell which OS you were using. There was no consumer facing major feature that you could point to in SL.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
The perception is a major upgrade but in reality, it was a minor (maybe medium). By that time, MS had righted the Vista ship, but it was too little too late, in the eyes of the consumer. Vista was a dog in the eyes of the public (and enterprises) and they chose to wait until win7

I've used both vista and win7 and its definitely different, the look, feel even to a degree the performance.

Between OSX 10.5 and 10.6 you really can't say that, visually speaking you really couldn't tell which OS you were using. There was no consumer facing major feature that you could point to in SL.

Fair argument for Windows 7. One could absolutely tell if he was using Windows 7 by looking at the taskbar, which had a different colour in Vista. :rolleyes:

But yes, the look and feel was different. Windows 7 is a great release and I really like it for the most part except that it doesn't have any features over Vista or XP for that matter.

One could easily tell if he was using SL or Leopard; SL feels way more polished, stable and smooth. The UI may not be different at all but Leopard was way different in normal operation.

I have leopard on one of my partitions and it was never that stable and smooth.

As for Lion, I still need an argument from either you or the user quoted in my previous comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.