Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Is there any way to mute the iPad completely, for real? I'm tired of never being able to open a new program when I need it muted because any given app's settings might require me to turn off the sound separately, even if the iPad is on mute. This is the silliest problem I've ever encountered - there must be a way to mute it system-wide, right?

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Ipad 2? The switch on the side- go to settings and change it from orientation lock to mute...

iPad 1 - just use the mute switch?

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Ah, I didn't realize that using the mute switch would give different results than muting with volume control. (It really shouldn't; the fact that apps can ignore the volume being all the way down is ridiculous.)

This also means I can't lock rotation and mute at the same time? Hmmmmm, when do I need to lock rotation.... When I'm lying in bed. When do I want to mute.... Gee, also when I'm lying in bed so I don't wake up my husband!

This is the most nonsensical settings configuration possible, wtf?

Thanks for your help, though.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can lock rotation and mute at the same time:
You select one function for the hardware switch and the other one then appears on the multi-task control bar (double tap home and swipe to the right: The far left hand side will show a mute option if you have the hardware switch set to rotate lock and a rotate lock option if you have the hardware switch set to mute)

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Aha! Thanks, at seemed like too ridiculous a problem to actually exist, but googling had failed me. I still dont get why apps can override the master volume control at all, but as long as there is some way to shut them up.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Ipad 2? The switch on the side- go to settings and change it from orientation lock to mute...

iPad 1 - just use the mute switch?

This not a hardware issue. It works the same on both models of iPad. It is a feature of iOS, if you have a current version.

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
This not a hardware issue. It works the same on both models of iPad. It is a feature of iOS, if you have a current version.

I have to disagree with this. On my iPad 1 when I put the device in mute it's in mute. The iPad 2 when it's in mute things like calendar, email are muted but apps override mute. You have to turn the volume all the way down. Shouldn't be this way. Mute should be mute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.