PDA

View Full Version : Making an app out of a map

Metalmorphed
Apr 10, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hi,

I have a map with some files in it. One of the files launches a program (which uses the other files in the map).
Is it possible to make an app out of the map, and when I double click the app the file to launch the app is launched automatically ?
(I just don't like to look at the other files, it's just ugly :P)

Thanks !

robbieduncan
Apr 10, 2011, 07:27 AM
When you say map what, exactly, do you mean? A folder (or in Unix terms a directory)?

Metalmorphed
Apr 10, 2011, 07:33 AM
When you say map what, exactly, do you mean? A folder (or in Unix terms a directory)?

yea, a folder :P
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/300/screenshot20110410at143.png <- that ;)

robbieduncan
Apr 10, 2011, 07:40 AM
OK so now we are using normal, standard terminology :)

A Mac app is actually a folder with a special structure. It may be possible to do what you want. The general structure of a normal Mac app is as follows:

MyApp.app
└Contents
└Info.plist
└MacOS
└MyApp

It might be possible to get what you want (do this with a copy obviously) to create the required outer folders around the one you have now, rename the file that starts the app to MyApp (replace MyApp with the correct name in all cases) and provide a correct Info.plist file. Unfortunately what you would need in the Info.plist I can't say as this is an abnormal usage. You might also have to "bless" the outer folder as a package...

Metalmorphed
Apr 10, 2011, 08:59 AM
@robbieduncan

Though I still have no idea how to do it xD Played around with it but I always get a damaged app :(
Ahh well :P

robbieduncan
Apr 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
A simpler solution would be to move the folder somewhere (or even hide it) and make an alias to the file that starts the app.

Metalmorphed
Apr 10, 2011, 09:15 AM
A simpler solution would be to move the folder somewhere (or even hide it) and make an alias to the file that starts the app.

That's not a bad idea actually, yet it would be cool to be able to give the app to other people easely, but ahh well, it'll have to do :D