Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caralck

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
So just curious if magnets are even needed for this function to work since one of the cases I'm looking at, the STM skinny, does have a magnet but it clicks onto those corner knobs and not the screen itself. So in other words, if someone just puts a cover, without magnets on it, is there a sensor that says, "I'm covered up and no one can see the screen, therefore, turn off." You know, like those cards you can buy that make sound but only when opened and turn off immediately when the card is closed. I'm also liking the pixelskin HD but wondering if the microsuction cover will also auto on/off the device, even without magnets.
No ipad yet but I like to make sure I've got protection for my $$$ devices before I actually buy the device. Neurotic that way I guess. :p

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
So just curious if magnets are even needed for this function to work since one of the cases I'm looking at, the STM skinny, does have a magnet but it clicks onto those corner knobs and not the screen itself. So in other words, if someone just puts a cover, without magnets on it, is there a sensor that says, "I'm covered up and no one can see the screen, therefore, turn off." You know, like those cards you can buy that make sound but only when opened and turn off immediately when the card is closed. I'm also liking the pixelskin HD but wondering if the microsuction cover will also auto on/off the device, even without magnets.
No ipad yet but I like to make sure I've got protection for my $$$ devices before I actually buy the device. Neurotic that way I guess. :p

The automagical sleep/wake feature is used with magnets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.