PDA

View Full Version : Question about having different brand name ram...

Wilson
Mar 2, 2005, 05:44 PM
I have a Powermac G5 dual 2.0 Rev. A, with the stock 512MB of ram and I added 2 sticks of SAMSUNG 512MB PC3200 DDR400 184PIN OEM. I want to know if Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL3 ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=586829&sourceid=qIpwQiZOKyq7AnSH7nbP&siteid=0041191406&SRCCODE=BFCAN&CMP=AFC-Affiliate&Sku=ULT30215 ) would work on my machine. Does anyone know if this ram is any good? and if it is okay to use different brands of ram on the computer?

Thanks.

CanadaRAM
Mar 2, 2005, 05:58 PM
It's OK to use different brands of RAM as long as all of the ram is guaranteed compatible with your model Mac. Each pair of RAM modules should be the same brand and configuration within the pair, however.

The TigerDirect RAM makes no mention of Mac compatibility, so you are taking a chance. The $40 advertised price is after two mail-in rebates, but they don't display the rebate terms and conditions, you have to go to another website and look it up. Commonly, there is a limit of one rebate per person. Since you have to buy a pair of DIMMs for the G5, you could pay $40 for the first one and $90 for the second. Also, Ultra rebrands other people's memory, so you have to be careful to see you get a matched pair... there's no telling whose chips it will be from week to week. Last point: You have to pay tax on the full $90 price, you don't get the tax back with the rebate, so it is more like $47 rather than $40.

My stock advice: Buy Mac RAM from a seller who gurarantees it is compatible with your Mac.