Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Can anyone recommend a good, reliable aftermarket charger (for home use) for my iDevices? Was looking at getting Apple's 10watt charger but $30 seems a little steep, especially since it can only charge one device at a time (two usb ports would be nice). Looked around on amazon but a lot of products got mixed reviews so I thought I'd ask the experts.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008

I like it as well, but the OP should be aware that if an iPhone or iPad is plugged into one of the USB ports, the other is not usable. Plugging two iPhones in results in both of them beeping incessantly as they switch from charging to not charging and back repeatedly.

when I travel by myself, the Belkin is perfect. When my wife is along, I need to remember to bring an iPhone charger so we can both charge our phones at the same time.

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I like it as well, but the OP should be aware that if an iPhone or iPad is plugged into one of the USB ports, the other is not usable. Plugging two iPhones in results in both of them beeping incessantly as they switch from charging to not charging and back repeatedly.

when I travel by myself, the Belkin is perfect. When my wife is along, I need to remember to bring an iPhone charger so we can both charge our phones at the same time.

Thanks for that bit of info. Definitely would need to be able to charge more than one device at a time. Looks nice otherwise though.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
You need 2.1 A output to charge the iPad, and 1 A to charge the iPhone. If you want something that have to USB ports, make sure they are rated for the sum of these two current values.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.