PDA

View Full Version : What is you choice as best iPad stylus?

dadoftwogirls
Apr 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
There have been a couple small, nice reviews here on some available stylus. However, There are lots out there, Griffin, Alu, Boxwave, Elago, Pogo, Hard Candy, Targus.... So if you've found one you love, please share brand, model, apps you use it with, and why it works best for you.

Thanks!

holyindian
Apr 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
Boxwave is the best selling stylus on amazon, i brought boxwave from amazon, plus Targus from best wave. I think Targus is better for its response and light wave.
Griffin is the same as targus and boxwave.. but expensive.

M-5
Apr 10, 2011, 09:19 PM
I just purchased the Nataal from Amazon for around $8 or so, and I like it. I haven't tried any others though. The Nataal is the same pen as the Acase; and from the pictures, the tip looks very very similar to the Griffin stylus.

gnychis
Apr 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
i did a review a while back on 3: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1080241&highlight=

vrillusions
Apr 10, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have a boxwave as well. Only other one I tried was my parent's pogo stylus and OMG is that thing unusable for me (had to keep it perpendicular to the screen and use some pressure before it registered). The boxwave I can almost just let it's own weight be enough to register on the ipad (you do still have to touch the barrel for the capacitance to work)

KylePowers
Apr 11, 2011, 12:36 AM
Tried Targus, then bought Nataal (which is the same as the Acase 2nd gen and AYL, just cheaper). I like it, and I can do great things with it, but I wish the tip wasn't as squishy (not that big of a problem... but we're all looking for a pen-like experience, I'm sure).

misdy
Apr 11, 2011, 02:17 AM
I have the targus stylus, the nataal, and the pogo sketch. I actually ended up being pretty disappointed with the nataal, because sometimes when writing and sketching, it momentarily won't register, leaving gaps in what I'm doing. It also just doesn't glide quite as well as the targus - there's a lot more resistance.

SchneiderMan
Apr 11, 2011, 02:33 AM
Really love using the AluPen. You can find some reviews on it.

clovis112
Apr 11, 2011, 06:21 AM
got the griffin stylus from target. i believe they are the same like the boxwave one.

steadysignal
Apr 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
how "pointy" are these styluses? for drawing and such? the fatness of the point leads me to think its no better than a finger...no finger grease i guess...

Treebark
Apr 11, 2011, 08:52 AM
how "pointy" are these styluses? for drawing and such? the fatness of the point leads me to think its no better than a finger...no finger grease i guess...

A little smaller than a U.S. dime and certainly smaller than a typical finger....pointy ones won't be happening. If they could happen, they would have happened by now. Maybe when the iPad version XYZ comes with layered capacitive/active/passive digitizers then we would see a pointy stylus.

Boxwave is my favorite mostly because I like the pen in the other side (of the model I got).

Geeky Girl
May 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have Griffin stylus and Pogo Sketch. I love Pogo sketch the most.

However both have own pros and cons. I wrote a post on best ipad stylus (http://www.geekreaders.com/choose-the-best-ipad-stylus-for-you/) you might like to read. :p

seanpholman
May 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
Anyone have experience with the Bamboo?

--Sean

Built
May 19, 2011, 08:15 PM
I have the Targus, Boxwave and Acase stylus.

Targus is the best, IMHO.

Mafteah
May 20, 2011, 02:20 AM
I have the Targus, Boxwave and Acase stylus.

Targus is the best, IMHO.

This one:
http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=AMM01US&PageName=ipad%202%20|%20Targus%20USA&productCategoryId=5&bucketTypeId=0&searchedTerms=ipad%202&navlevel1=&cp=&bannertxt=Search%20Results%20ipad%202

It's better from the bamboo?

gugy
May 20, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have Alupen and it is very good.
But I have my eyes set on the Bamboo Stylus. Wacom does make great products and they have years of experience creating stylus. I would expect their new product to follow their reputation.

Cubemaster13
May 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
kinda of off subject buut you can easily make your own using conductive foam and some wire. i cant compare it to any other stylus because i don't own any others but i think it is pretty sensitive

club1820
May 20, 2011, 03:15 PM
Boxwave is my favorite mostly because I like the pen in the other side (of the model I got).

can you point me (us) to that model?

club1820
May 20, 2011, 03:16 PM
kinda of off subject buut you can easily make your own using conductive foam and some wire. i cant compare it to any other stylus because i don't own any others but i think it is pretty sensitive

pics?!!?

HoosierInFL
May 20, 2011, 08:57 PM
I use the Targus stylus. It almost feels like I'm using someone else's finger when using it. I think it's 100 times better than the Pogo stick.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7200684&CatId=6954

TypeMRT
May 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
Check out Macworld's review roundup: http://www.macworld.com/article/156560/2010/05/touchscreen_stylus_roundup.html

seanpholman
May 21, 2011, 12:48 AM
Check out Macworld's review roundup: http://www.macworld.com/article/156560/2010/05/touchscreen_stylus_roundup.html

Great info. That reinforces my decision to go with the Bamboo.

--Sean

Sonisk
May 21, 2011, 01:34 AM
Yeah, gonna order me a bamboo next month also I think :)

club1820
May 21, 2011, 01:38 AM
yes, thanks for that review link.

as I don't want to spend quite that much ($30), will be going with what seemed like his overall 2nd choice of the Kuel H10.

swishbrade
May 21, 2011, 03:06 AM
Am testing the Ozaki iStroke L which I just bought and it's good! I feel that my handwriting will suck with whichever stylus, if I am not able to rest my wrist on the table.

calvy
May 21, 2011, 03:16 AM
pics?!!?

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/05/diy-ipad-stylus-actually-extremely-easy-to-make/

gordita
May 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks to this thread/board, I ordered the Kuel H10 stylus from their ebay store which saved me another $2.55.....

class77
May 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
Can't believe the Bamboo stylus is already backordered and it just came out

3goldens
May 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
Tried the Pogo first, tossed it.

Then used the Boxwave which I thought was pretty good.

I just received the SGP and found that to be very disappointing. It just does not feel like writing to me, the nib is very very sof so one has to be somewhat delicate when writing. Push down and you'll get nothing. It is kind of like a little bubble on the end os an aluminum tube. Its very light, and short even extended and just a little dainty for me to write with. Oh well.

I have the Just Mobile coming any day so I'll see about that.

Would like to get my hands on a Wacom, but it appears to be sold out, that should tell us something!

Don't see anyone posting who has it, so hopefully those will start showing up soon!

Look forward to trying one out.

Built
May 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
It's interesting how MacWorld chose to review the Targus 2-in-1 instead of the cheaper, but awesome, regular Targus stylus sold by Best Buy. I was able to purchase a handful at $14.99. They are now up to 19.99 but often on sale for 16.99.

CH34P3T
May 27, 2011, 02:45 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260743778860&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Basically the same thing as the Targus/Griffin/Boxwave stylus but without the branding for about $1. Got one of these and they work great.

nineohtoo
Jun 14, 2011, 05:00 AM
Needed to bump this thread. Just opened up my bamboo, and while I'm loving the details and finish, I'm a little off put by it's sensitivity. It seems I need to apply way more pressure than my Alupen, and still not get the same thin lines in sketchbook pro. Im wondering if it's the smaller nub or the finish on the tube. It really sucks because I love how it feels.

3goldens
Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
Needed to bump this thread. Just opened up my bamboo, and while I'm loving the details and finish, I'm a little off put by it's sensitivity. It seems I need to apply way more pressure than my Alupen, and still not get the same thin lines in sketchbook pro. Im wondering if it's the smaller nub or the finish on the tube. It really sucks because I love how it feels.

I found the same thing with Bamboo. The tip obviously is softer, but I found that it does produce thinner line when drawing or writing. I think most people may be used to applying the pressure when writing, so being a little more delicate in touch takes some getting used to I found.

I like both of them and use them interchangeably.

Sparky9292
Jun 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260743778860&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Basically the same thing as the Targus/Griffin/Boxwave stylus but without the branding for about $1. Got one of these and they work great.

EPIC Find. My toddler pulled off the rubber tip and I was sad that I was going to have to blow another $15 for it.....

The only bummer is that they only offer black and white... no red...

Thanks!:D

Sparky9292
Jul 9, 2011, 09:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

EPIC Find. My toddler pulled off the rubber tip and I was sad that I was going to have to blow another $15 for it.....

The only bummer is that they only offer black and white... no red...

Thanks!:D

Just got it in mail today. Work great. Saved $30.

mobi
Jul 11, 2011, 04:00 PM
Griffin stylus has worked great thus far. Small, light & accurate.

jsh1120
Jul 11, 2011, 04:53 PM
Tried several. By far the best is the iFaraday. No question. Only thing it lacks is an included ballpoint so I don't have to carry two implements. Otherwise, it beats the pants off the Boxwave, Targus, Rocketfish (Best Buy), Pogo, etc.

P.S. I seldom make an unqualified recommendation or fail to take account of the fact that different people have different opinions, especially about consumer products. But in this case, I frankly don't think there is (much) room for debate. The design of the iFaraday is simply far superior to any other stylus I've used and I suspect that anyone else who uses it will agree.

www.iFaraday.com

PlanByHero
Jul 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
I highly recommend the iFaraday styli. Comfortable, functional, and well balanced.

lego batman
Jul 27, 2011, 12:10 AM
my gf got a Boxwave, but she's used to using Wacom Tablets for drawing and work. i'll look into the iFaraday for a bday gift, thanks!

CHSeifert
Jul 27, 2011, 01:13 AM
I use both Wacom Bamboo and Justmobile Alupen :)

Sparky9292
Jul 27, 2011, 10:29 PM
Tried several. By far the best is the iFaraday. No question. Only thing it lacks is an included ballpoint so I don't have to carry two implements. Otherwise, it beats the pants off the Boxwave, Targus, Rocketfish (Best Buy), Pogo, etc.

P.S. I seldom make an unqualified recommendation or fail to take account of the fact that different people have different opinions, especially about consumer products. But in this case, I frankly don't think there is (much) room for debate. The design of the iFaraday is simply far superior to any other stylus I've used and I suspect that anyone else who uses it will agree.

www.iFaraday.com

The iFaraday will scratch your screen if you hold it a an angle.

jsh1120
Jul 28, 2011, 12:03 AM
The iFaraday will scratch your screen if you hold it a an angle.

Not so. In the initial production run the manufacturer encountered a problem with the substrate beneath the conductive material on the tip. That allowed a user to make the edge of the metal barrel come into contact with the screen. Once identified the problem was resolved. At least as far as I know. I have two iFaraday styluses, use both of them at "an angle" and haven't encountered the problem. Nor as far as I know has anyone else reported it (on another forum where there is more discussion of the stylus.)

Furthermore, for those who prefer to use a stylus at a very acute angle (almost parallel to the screen) the manufacturer offers a specifically designed version with a slightly different shaped tip.

Finally, anyone who encounters such a problem must be pressing VERY hard on the screen. Enough to compress the tip completely. I can't imagine using the stylus (or any stylus for that matter) in that fashion.

Tsuchiya
Jul 28, 2011, 04:39 AM
I have the JustMobile AluPen and an "e-stylo", both of which are pretty good.

Responsiveness is fantastic, better then I thought a stylus could ever be on one of these screens.

I use both for sketching though, despite the touch screen responding well to both I don't think the current form of stylus (usually a soft rubber "nib") is quite there.

Even with the e-stylo (which is thin and made of wood), the screen only responds when a certain amount of the tip surface area makes contact.

Hammie
Jul 28, 2011, 10:31 AM
I bought the Pogo Sketch shortly after getting my iPad 1 when it was first released. It was much too short in my hand. Therefore, I never used it.

Recently, a co-worker recommended a Remington pen/stylus combo. I looked into it, but did not like the fact that when the pen cap was removed and placed on the other end of the shaft, the stylus part would not be usable. Additionally, I feel that there is a high chance of loosing the cap if you just leave it lay so you can use both the pen and stylus.

So, I found a very solid, well made combo device from AYL. It can be found here (http://www.amazon.com/Engraved-Capacitive-Stylus-Executive-Warranty/dp/B004ZJYES6/ref=pd_sim_e_7). I have been away from work for a little while on personal leave, but the little I have used it was very nice. It glided nicely on my iPad with a matte screen protector. I have a small microfiber cloth that I used to clean my screen that I now use to rest my hand on so I can write with my hand rested on the iPad screen.

I am very satisfied with this purchase. Two thumbs up from me.

King Julian
Jul 28, 2011, 01:28 PM
Not so. In the initial production run the manufacturer encountered a problem with the substrate beneath the conductive material on the tip. That allowed a user to make the edge of the metal barrel come into contact with the screen. Once identified the problem was resolved. At least as far as I know. I have two iFaraday styluses, use both of them at "an angle" and haven't encountered the problem. Nor as far as I know has anyone else reported it (on another forum where there is more discussion of the stylus.)

Furthermore, for those who prefer to use a stylus at a very acute angle (almost parallel to the screen) the manufacturer offers a specifically designed version with a slightly different shaped tip.

Finally, anyone who encounters such a problem must be pressing VERY hard on the screen. Enough to compress the tip completely. I can't imagine using the stylus (or any stylus for that matter) in that fashion.

That's alot of inside knowledge !

DanH
Oct 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
Hiya, just posted a review of this on my blog. Basically I'm recommending the Aponyo for smoothness of the pen on the screen. Everything else I've tried has been really grippy especially since im currently using a screen protector.

Hope this helps!
-Dan

iAmYou
Oct 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ten one Progo sketch pro and the just mobile alupen
Are by far the best.
I Purchased the Adonit jot pro and it has left hairline scratches all over my iPad2s screen.
I would not recommend the jot/jot pro at all.
It will eventually scratch your screen.

Dhelsdon
Nov 1, 2011, 12:18 PM
The Wacom Bamboo stylus now come in various colours, but they are still on backorder. I really want to get an orange one!

glen e
Nov 1, 2011, 02:40 PM
Got more styli than I know why.......
Alu pen
Adonit
Faraday
Boxwave
Several naatal...

And about 6 sponge ball types of eBay

I always go back to my faraday artist model......

jsh1120
Nov 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Got more styli than I know why.......
Alu pen
Adonit
Faraday
Boxwave
Several naatal...

And about 6 sponge ball types of eBay

I always go back to my faraday artist model......

Same here. The iFaraday combines the smallest diameter point with the most reliable performance, i.e. minimal drag, no missed strokes, etc. Several models are available. My favorite is the "artist" model, as well. For those who like the feel of a fountain pen, the "RX" model is better (fatter) but the weight does not match a real pen. And for those who prefer to write at an acute (i.e. shallow) angle, the "SALT" version may be appealing.

The Adonit Jot Pro is by far the most appealing from a look and feel standpoint. Unfortunately, it has problems (for many users) of missed strokes and claims (doubtful imo) that the hard tip on the stylus can scratch the screen of the iPad.

As far as other styluses are concerned (and I've tried many) I think it's more a question of personal preference than clear advantages of one model versus another. If you prefer a "fat" stylus, the Alupen or Wacom stylus will appeal more to you. If you prefer a thin stylus, there are other options. Many folks seem to like a long stylus; others are fine with a short stylus. It's really a matter of personal preference.

mr.thing
Nov 2, 2011, 05:04 AM
I'm using DAGi stylus (http://www.dagi.com.tw/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=p504&Rcg=2) for about 3 months now and cannot be happier. It's very nice and I think perfect for writing notes. I tried other styluses before (Pogo, etc...) but they never worked for me. Have a look on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbt3R1EkDM)video review to see how it works.

jsh1120
Nov 2, 2011, 08:42 AM
I'm using DAGi stylus (http://www.dagi.com.tw/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=p504&Rcg=2) for about 3 months now and cannot be happier. It's very nice and I think perfect for writing notes. I tried other styluses before (Pogo, etc...) but they never worked for me. Have a look on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbt3R1EkDM)video review to see how it works.

The Dagi and the Adonit Jot are similar designs. Both use a transparent disc to activate the capacitive screen of the iDevice with a tiny visible point in the middle to identify the precise contact point. The two differ in the length of the stylus itself (The Jot Pro is longer and heavier, more like a true pen) and the Dagi uses a flexible spring to keep the disc in contact with the screen when the writing/drawing is done at an acute (less than 90 degree) angle.

I haven't used the Dagi but I have a friend who has one along with a Jot. He has found the spring to be problematic in keeping the disc in constant contact with the screen compared to the Jot. Others may have a different experience.

Personally, I've found the disc/point design to be problematic, period. Specifically, the design doesn't work very well if one writes at an acute angle to the screen. Note that in the video the reviewer keeps the Dagi at close to 90 degrees in relation to the screen. If you write at a more acute angle, the tendency is for the disc to be out of contact with the screen and consequently for the screen to "miss" short strokes and the beginning of longer strokes.

What this comes down to is that your satisfaction with a particular stylus may well depend on your preferred writing/drawing style. If you write at close to a right angle to the screen (or can adjust to that style) the Dagi or the Adonit Jot may work well for you. If not, you may find that particular design to be problematic.

Dhelsdon
Nov 2, 2011, 09:58 AM
I bought the iFaraday Artist first, but i am still waiting to receive it. So I keep looking around at others in the meantime. I keep coming back to the Wacom Bamboo, it looks so appealing and I don't know why.. everything I heard about it (for the most part) was high praise.

gugy
Nov 8, 2011, 07:42 PM
OK guys between the JotPro from Adonit and the Bamboo Stylus from Wacom what would be your choice?
I have the Alupen, it's good but not great and the e-stylo that I hate.

I mostly looking for a stylus for taking notes rather than sketching or drawing. So I would like something that is precise. My instincts push me towards the Jot Pro since the Bamboo reminds me the look of the Alupen.
Thanks for any feedback.

Dhelsdon
Nov 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
OK guys between the JotPro from Adonit and the Bamboo Stylus from Wacom what would be your choice?
I have the Alupen, it's good but not great and the e-stylo that I hate.

I mostly looking for a stylus for taking notes rather than sketching or drawing. So I would like something that is precise. My instincts push me towards the Jot Pro since the Bamboo reminds me the look of the Alupen.
Thanks for any feedback.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Bamboo Stylus, The Alupen is in no way comparable to the Bamboo (other then the aluminum) The bamboo has excellent balance and feels like a real quality pen. I am biased because I've never used the Jot Pro before.

Farrellcollie
Nov 9, 2011, 11:27 PM
I have both the jot pro and the faraday rx. I really like the faraday rx. The jot pro skips strokes and clicks. The faraday is a little light and wish it had a better cap and weight, but the more important part to me is it writes when I want it to. The jot pro skips a lot of strokes for me even though I have replacement disks.

jsh1120
Nov 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
I have both the jot pro and the faraday rx. I really like the faraday rx. The jot pro skips strokes and clicks. The faraday is a little light and wish it had a better cap and weight, but the more important part to me is it writes when I want it to. The jot pro skips a lot of strokes for me even though I have replacement disks.

Just a tip from another thread regarding the Jot Pro. Haven't tried it yet but others may find it useful. Try cleaning the Jot disc with dish washing liquid and rinsing. The poster claimed that the problem of missed and skipping strokes stems from touching the disc and leaving trace oil that interferes with the contact.

Can't hurt, at least in my case. My Jot Pro has become virtually unusable as the missed stroke problem has gotten worse with use.

Farrellcollie
Nov 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
Just a tip from another thread regarding the Jot Pro. Haven't tried it yet but others may find it useful. Try cleaning the Jot disc with dish washing liquid and rinsing. The poster claimed that the problem of missed and skipping strokes stems from touching the disc and leaving trace oil that interferes with the contact.

Can't hurt, at least in my case. My Jot Pro has become virtually unusable as the missed stroke problem has gotten worse with use.

I just tried washing with some dish soap and it does seem to have helped the jot pro. Will you report back after trying it?

dannn
Nov 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
Here are my experiences:
Bought the wacom bamboo stylus, as I heard it was better than most.
-Attractive
-Strange weight distribution...but feels good overall. It feels heavy, though unbalanced
-Tip is rubbery and collapses with pressure like many other styluses. Personally I do not like this
-Requires as close to a 90 degrees angle as possible, otherwise it loses responsiveness. It often misses strokes when I'm annotating pdf's, and it doesn't register tapping sometimes too.

Just bought an iFaraday Rx.
My initial impressions
-Feels and looks incredibly cheap
-No weight to it at all
-Probably 30% easier to write with than the bamboo.

I will continue using it and report back

jsh1120
Nov 18, 2011, 07:34 AM
I just tried washing with some dish soap and it does seem to have helped the jot pro. Will you report back after trying it?

Finally got around to trying the dish soap washing treatment. Works like a charm. I'm not sure how long the "fix" will last but my Jot Pro is now usable for the first time since a week after I purchased it.

szolr
Nov 20, 2011, 03:15 AM
Who wants a stylus? :rolleyes:

Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY3MSaUqMg). :cool:

King Julian
Nov 20, 2011, 05:40 AM
Check this stylus (http://www.yoyobase.com/stylus-touch-screen-capacitance-pen-ball-pen-for-apple-ipad-2-ipad-iphone-4-3g-ipod.html), I have been use this for quite a while, works perfect.

It looks like all the other stylus out there, ie, boxwave, Nataal, Acase.

GaresTaylan
Nov 21, 2011, 07:46 PM
I've tried a few so far. The griffin stylus, one from stylus-r-us, the jot pro which I received last week and the ifaraday rx I received today.

I feel like I'm the only one that prefers the jot pro over the ifaraday. I just like the fact that I always know where my point of contact will be and I don't have any issues with it missing strokes.

jsh1120
Nov 22, 2011, 08:44 AM
I've tried a few so far. The griffin stylus, one from stylus-r-us, the jot pro which I received last week and the ifaraday rx I received today.

I feel like I'm the only one that prefers the jot pro over the ifaraday. I just like the fact that I always know where my point of contact will be and I don't have any issues with it missing strokes.

You may not experience the problem, especially if you (a) write cursively rather than print; (b) keep the Jot near perpendicular to the iPad surface; or (c) you just haven't used the Jot long enough to encounter the problem. (Mine became much worse over time, but as noted above, washing the disc with dishwashing liquid has improved the Jot Pro's performance significantly.)

BTW, having used about half a dozen different styluses I've become convinced that almost any of them can be used productively with practice. The visible "point of contact" advantage of the Jot is a real one but I've also found that when I use the iFaraday I quickly "learn" where the point of contact is and Jot Pro's seeming advantage fades.

yellowknight
Nov 25, 2011, 01:35 PM
I find this intriguing!
does anyone know about this? :confused:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1225098940/ipen-the-first-active-stylus-for-ipad
YKnight

torbjoern
Nov 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
Out of the 10 stylii I can use, I prefer the index-stylus of my right hand.

jsh1120
Nov 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
I find this intriguing!
does anyone know about this? :confused:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1225098940/ipen-the-first-active-stylus-for-ipad
YKnight

Don't know much about it other than the url cited above and some earlier publicity about the project that came out a few months ago. But I find at least one aspect of the promotional material misleading and that makes me skeptical about the entire approach.

Using a capacitive stylus, the width of a mark is not determined by the width of a stylus tip. It's determined by the app being used. If you doubt this take any conventional stylus and make a mark on the iPad screen with any of the many drawing/note taking apps that allow you to set the width of the line. Then do the same with your fattest finger (try your thumb.) You'll find the width of the lines is identical.

The capacitive screen of the iPad requires a certain activation diameter (designed for a finger tip) to enable a mark. The mark itself is at the center of this circle. Some styluses with larger tips may obscure the "contact point" but that does not result in a larger contact point or a wider "mark."

Frankly, I find the video to be misleading in this regard. It's obvious, I think, that the wider marks shown by a capacitive stylus are the result of changing the width of a drawing app, not the greater accuracy of the iPen.

Furthermore, as the video demonstrates, the "iPen" requires an attached receiver to locate placement of the pen. Likewise, it requires a note taking/drawing app to use the signal rather than the capacitive placement to locate the contact point. This may well have advantages such as palm rejection compared to the capacitive stylus (at least theoretically) but it is neither more accurate nor does it result in a finer line when drawing.

By the way, I'm not defending the more conventional (and considerably less complex) technology used by most styluses. Apple took a low cost, simple approach and then defended it as "superior" by arguing that one could use a finger rather than a stylus. That is clearly arguable. But the iPen approach requires just the sort of "add on" technology and hardware that Jobs sought eliminate in the iPad. And it does so without really adding much functionality.

mutantblack
Nov 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
got me a rocketfish on black friday. So far so good. Nothing special. It slides well on my antiglare screen and I can draw stuffs pretty good. Good $5 spent.

lsquare
Nov 27, 2011, 03:35 AM
Where is the cheapest place to get the Wacom Bamboo Stylus?

----------

How about the feel of it? Is it any good? I'm not sure if Wacom's style is worth 30x more.

----------

I found the same thing with Bamboo. The tip obviously is softer, but I found that it does produce thinner line when drawing or writing. I think most people may be used to applying the pressure when writing, so being a little more delicate in touch takes some getting used to I found.

I like both of them and use them interchangeably.

I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that I do have to apply a bit of pressure with the Wacom pen, but it's about the same amount of pressure that I would use with a pen when writing on paper? If so, then it's not a big deal since I would want a similar writing experience. I'll think it'll be weird if I were to write with less pressure.

APlotdevice
Nov 28, 2011, 12:22 AM
Don't know much about it other than the url cited above and some earlier publicity about the project that came out a few months ago. But I find at least one aspect of the promotional material misleading and that makes me skeptical about the entire approach.

Using a capacitive stylus, the width of a mark is not determined by the width of a stylus tip. It's determined by the app being used. If you doubt this take any conventional stylus and make a mark on the iPad screen with any of the many drawing/note taking apps that allow you to set the width of the line. Then do the same with your fattest finger (try your thumb.) You'll find the width of the lines is identical.

The capacitive screen of the iPad requires a certain activation diameter (designed for a finger tip) to enable a mark. The mark itself is at the center of this circle. Some styluses with larger tips may obscure the "contact point" but that does not result in a larger contact point or a wider "mark."

Frankly, I find the video to be misleading in this regard. It's obvious, I think, that the wider marks shown by a capacitive stylus are the result of changing the width of a drawing app, not the greater accuracy of the iPen.

Furthermore, as the video demonstrates, the "iPen" requires an attached receiver to locate placement of the pen. Likewise, it requires a note taking/drawing app to use the signal rather than the capacitive placement to locate the contact point. This may well have advantages such as palm rejection compared to the capacitive stylus (at least theoretically) but it is neither more accurate nor does it result in a finer line when drawing.
While what they have shown is indeed a bit misleading, this solution does nonetheless have a potentially serious advantage in terms of accuracy. If only because you can better see what you're doing. The fat tips of capacitive styluses obstructs fine pen work from view, which can be quite frustrating. Also from what I have heard and experienced, the capacitive sensor is not exactly 1:1.

Besides palm rejection, having the pen be recognized as a seperate input could open the door for some interesting interface methods. Like producing a virtual ruler with two or three fingers and drawing across it with the pen.

Also there is that hover feature. That's something I'm a bit familiar with thanks to my Wacom digitizer tablet. Basically it allows the pen to mimic the mouse-over behavior. It would be interesting to see how app developers could take advantage of that.

By the way, I'm not defending the more conventional (and considerably less complex) technology used by most styluses. Apple took a low cost, simple approach and then defended it as "superior" by arguing that one could use a finger rather than a stylus. That is clearly arguable. But the iPen approach requires just the sort of "add on" technology and hardware that Jobs sought eliminate in the iPad. And it does so without really adding much functionality.
Actually capacitive touchscreens are quite a bit pricier than the older, more stylus-friendly resistive touchscreens. Especially since they consume more processing power and battery. Or do you mean compared to the Wacom digitizers they use in higher end TabletPCs? That by itself wouldn't make sense for iOS.

MathRulz
Nov 28, 2011, 09:39 AM

The concept seems similar to the Dane Electric Z-Pen with the sensor. Of course, that is for writing on actual paper.

In addition, there is already an I-Pen Mouse for the PC.

Macman45
Dec 4, 2011, 04:43 AM
Read reviews and went mid-range. (posted in the post your last purchase thread) My friend who is an artist reckons the best of the best is the Wacom bamboo range, but I wasn't going to spend that kind of money (£79.00) so I will see how I go.

Only want to doodle a bit on my iPad, plenty of free apps to do it with too.

APlotdevice
Dec 4, 2011, 04:43 AM
@Aman: Dude, you already posted about that stylus in this thread. Stop spamming already.

glen e
Dec 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
I really have tried them all - own most of the pens above - the one I keep coming back to is a faraday artist...thinnest line is the adonit....

ifaraday.com

Dhelsdon
Dec 4, 2011, 04:31 PM
I really have tried them all - own most of the pens above - the one I keep coming back to is a faraday artist...thinnest line is the adonit....

ifaraday.com

+1 I ordered an iFaraday Artist, it didn't arrive for 2 weeks (From US to CAN) so I emailed Rustle and he asked me to wait two more days, I emailed him back two days later and he promptly resent me a new stylus which arrived within a week and I love it.

I was debating on the Wacom but for it's price you can buy all three of iFaraday's stylus's in a pack! Way better deal!!

LaurieAnn
Dec 5, 2011, 06:45 AM
I'm using the iFaraday stylus. I've tried many. This one is in a class of it's own. Love it.

jrm27
Dec 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
I use the bamboo. It's awesome.

MsApple
Dec 18, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm also using the Bamboo which is great. I've previously used the Kensington and Griffin. The bamboo has a smaller tip and glides much better over the screen than the other two. It's also weighted very nicely. Definitely the best I've used so far.

iCandii
Dec 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
i recently picked up a bamboo stylus and really like it. the bamboo paper app is pretty cool too :)

Macman45
Dec 30, 2011, 12:19 AM
Is probably the best, as reflected here, but the Griffin is excellent value and works well too. If you are on a budget I recommend it. Amazon have it for around £10.00 UK

t0rr3s
Dec 30, 2011, 12:23 AM
In terms of functionality (sketching and writing) and design, my architect stylus edges it for me.

lsquare
Dec 30, 2011, 01:06 AM
Since there is no on screen pointer, how easy is it to use a stylus on the iPad 2?

Macman45
Dec 30, 2011, 02:22 AM
Since there is no on screen pointer, how easy is it to use a stylus on the iPad 2?

A more accurate "Finger" you tap for the menu's etc. You can use a stylus for playing games too. I use Sketch for fun, as you can see, I have zip talent when it comes to drawing, but it's fun:)

lsquare
Dec 30, 2011, 04:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

A more accurate "Finger" you tap for the menu's etc. You can use a stylus for playing games too. I use Sketch for fun, as you can see, I have zip talent when it comes to drawing, but it's fun:)

Sice there is no in screen pointer, how accurate is the stylus input?

hchavarria
Dec 30, 2011, 08:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sice there is no in screen pointer, how accurate is the stylus input?

I use the Bamboo and have tried several others including Targus, RocketFish from bestbuy, and other brands but by far Bamboo is the best for me. As far as accuracy I haven't had any issues or tapping on things by mistake in fact, I have now gone paperless and all my meeting notes, homework assaignments, and classroom notes get written on my iPad using the stylus.

I recently was given a bluetooth keboard/case combo from Brookstones for christmas and have now given up my laptop since I can pretty much do everything from the ipad with this combination. When in need of something more powerful I just use my desktop.

jsh1120
Dec 30, 2011, 08:53 AM

A couple of points about these styluses. I, too, have both.

The ultimate "fix" for the Jot's "missed strokes" is to apply a small (very small) dab of conductive grease (I know it sounds crazy) to the tip and collar of Jot. (To apply, you remove the collar and place a very, very small dab of the grease in the point "holder" in the middle of the disc and reassemble.) The effect is to eliminate any gaps between the collar and the tip that allow the miniscule current to pass from the former to the latter.

You can find what you need at many hardware/auto stores or on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BODU66/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details?tag=5336612452-20

From all reports, this resolves the skipped strokes problem. Another "fix" that works for some people is to wash the tip of the Jot with dishwashing liquid and dry thoroughly. Worked for me but not for some others.

As far as the iFaraday is concerned, a new model is coming out with improved (i.e. heavier) weight. I, too, find the RX model a bit light, especially compared to the great feel of the Jot Pro. Not sure if the new model is available yet but when it is I suspect it will be the best of the conventional stylus designs.

P.S. I've tried at least a half dozen styluses. They're very much a personal preference but from what I've seen, the iFaraday models are universally beloved. :)

GobblerChaser
Dec 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
Another vote for bamboo. I tried several and like the feel of it the best.

Macman45
Dec 30, 2011, 10:52 PM
Out of the 10 stylii I can use, I prefer the index-stylus of my right hand.

Although you can use your finger:). I'm going to buy one of the apps eventually, but in testing some out, I find they vary greatly.

Draw Free seems to drop lines that Sketch doesn't. I also think results vary from iPad to iPad. This may depend on the age of the device?

I'm happy with the Griffin though......It doesn't drop lines, and line drawing is as ambitious as I get so far.

An app with the ability to get good colour ( particularly metallic chrome so I could colour the motorcycle picture on the previous page ) would be good, but there are so many. I guess that's for another thread though.

Rhittle
Jan 2, 2012, 06:18 PM
I recently downloaded a remote desktop connection and it works great. One problem though. My desktop isn't too small to read but, I notice that my stylus is too blunt to accurately activate some of the buttons etc. Is there a stylus that has a sharper point?

jsh1120
Jan 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
I recently downloaded a remote desktop connection and it works great. One problem though. My desktop isn't too small to read but, I notice that my stylus is too blunt to accurately activate some of the buttons etc. Is there a stylus that has a sharper point?

That won't solve your problem.

rizkyrizzle
Jan 4, 2012, 10:10 PM
I like the Pogo sketch and plus itsfits perfect in my ibackflip carrying case.

Julysky
Feb 2, 2012, 12:50 AM
i am also waiting for better answers.

noneother
Feb 4, 2012, 07:33 PM
I have ifaraday and just got an Adonit JotPro...

Love them both... Different uses.... Surfing is nice with the ifaraday. And notes on Note Taker HD in zoom mode are great with the Jot...just need to write a bit slower than usual..

odinsride
Feb 7, 2012, 10:25 AM
With so many choices in this thread I'm just going to ask for a recommendation based on the following:

I primarily want a stylus for note-taking and diagram drawing
I'm left handed and write overhanded (i know many apps have a shade function to help with this)
I have fairly large hands so something similar to a full-sized pen/pencil would be best.

I have the Pogo Sketch currently and absolutely hate it. It's inaccurate and so tiny I can barely get a good grasp on it...so I'm looking for other suggestions

Thanks!

zipur
Feb 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
Ifariday tip is unraveling after one week. The tip is made from a cloth like cover very smooth to write with but..Not good long term.

helenrose
Feb 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
Ipad is very famous in our life! Many people like it very much!:)

MathRulz
Feb 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ifariday tip is unraveling after one week. The tip is made from a cloth like cover very smooth to write with but..Not good long term.

I used the iFaraday RX for about six months with no problems. Now I am using the RX 2 also with no issues. Contact the vendor. You may have just gotten a bad one.

ununo
Jun 5, 2012, 10:35 PM
I looked at all the suggestions here and in other threads. The one I went with was a boxwave. Best reviewed stylus for the money. I've been using it at work now for a few weeks with no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUI76S (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUI76S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=shoclo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000BUI76S)

-Knight-
Jun 6, 2012, 11:33 AM
Not sure if anyone is in a hurry to get a stylus but there looks to be a nice one coming out from Kickstarter if anyone is interested. They are even offering custom engraving. I like that they will use 4mm tip on this one along with some nice features.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hand/hand-stylus

ridingforlife
Jun 6, 2012, 08:32 PM
Bought the Bamboo Stylus for iPad by Wacom today. Works great with their Bamboo Notebook app (I just have the free one) and Notability app (though had to turn off multitasking gestures but I don't care for it anyways). Comfortable to hold and works really well.

glen e
Jun 6, 2012, 08:37 PM
ifaraday artist......

cabello
Jun 7, 2012, 06:53 AM
I use my ipad for meetings, and after reading reviews here and in other forums, I went on a mad stylii buying rampage. As a result, I currently have : the ifaraday rxii, the adonit jot pro, the zoogue(free) and the caseen vibe. I also have the free stylus that comes with the Ozaki case, but I do not use it at all as it is the length of my little finger and almost useless except for the most casual of tasks.

I tend to use noteshelf for jotting down notes/ ideas/ doodling etc.

The Caseen Vibe is too short and now belongs to my wife. The tip is also slightly squishy.

The Zoogue, I am told is similar to the Wacom in terms of writing ability. I used it once but I am not too fond of the rubber on glass feel, so it now sits in the drawer. I am debating whether to buy the Bamboo.

I switch between the Jot and the rx2 when I feel like it, with the RX being my go to stylus for the past month.

The Jot is brilliant for precise writing, on noteshelf, I am able to write without using the magnifying function at all. For drawing, it works as well, and the customer service is second to none. Had to change the disc and they send me replacements. It is, however, not so intuitive/ comfortable if you use it for day to day tasks, like tapping on apps/ games etc. Writing feels like using a sharp nib pen on a glass table, but very smooth, and it glides nicely. It is also very nicely designed/ built and feels/ looks expensive.

The ifaraday rx2 is more of a generalist than the specialist that is the Jot Pro. It writes well, extremely smooth, but I need to use the magnifying function in noteshelf for accurate writing. Everything else, drawing, day to day is effortless. The tip is nice and firm, not squishy and just feels....nice. Unfortunately, it looks cheap. Plastic cap and plastic body, although nicely weighted. So, more function then form, but it is an independent operation.

kobiano
Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
I backed this yesterday! I spent 30 bucks total, but that comes with 6 replaceable nibs! Amazing value! And I love how it comes with a tin carrying case. The rubber nib seems to be smaller than the pogo sketch stylus, or it could be the same size.

Not sure if anyone is in a hurry to get a stylus but there looks to be a nice one coming out from Kickstarter if anyone is interested. They are even offering custom engraving. I like that they will use 4mm tip on this one along with some nice features.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hand/hand-stylus

-Knight-
Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
I backed this yesterday! I spent 30 bucks total, but that comes with 6 replaceable nibs! Amazing value! And I love how it comes with a tin carrying case. The rubber nib seems to be smaller than the pogo sketch stylus, or it could be the same size.

Nice, I got 3 of them with custom engraving myself. Going to give one to the wife and one to my mother. $105 total but i think it's worth it. It's getting great reviews too.

GerritV
Jun 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
I'm using the Architect stylus from The Arctic Store (http://www.thearcticstore.com/). About 6mm tip, light, stylish, and I love the protective cap.

Xultar
Jun 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
I have 2 Alupens and 1 Bamboo based on reviews.

The Bamboo says on the box that it doesn't work well with screen protectors because it is designed not to and for me it doesn't. I don't know if it is the brand SGP UO but it doesn't work well with it. Maybe it is the anti-glare properties in the UO. But if you have a UO hesitate a bit on using the Bamboo stylus. My AluPen however works fine with the SGP UO.

My PowerSupport HD should come soon. I will test the Bamboo with it.

oneapplegeek
Jun 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have a bamboo stylus duo! :) It's nice so far.

neutrino23
Jun 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
I've had several. The Jot is nice but for some reason it writes streaky for me. Too bad as I really want to like it.

My favorite is the iFaraday. It is the most reliable for writing. I just lost mine this morning and immediately ordered a replacement ( Rx II).

One thing I hope is improved on future iPads is the digitizer speed and resolution. I want to be able to make fine resolution drawings and notes without using some sort of magnification window.

cabello
Jun 22, 2012, 11:20 PM
I've had several. The Jot is nice but for some reason it writes streaky for me. Too bad as I really want to like it.

My favorite is the iFaraday. It is the most reliable for writing. I just lost mine this morning and immediately ordered a replacement ( Rx II).

One thing I hope is improved on future iPads is the digitizer speed and resolution. I want to be able to make fine resolution drawings and notes without using some sort of magnification window.

The streaky jot can be fixed with:

1. conductive grease applied between the ball and the connector on the disc (so I've read)
2. Cleaning the ball with cleaning solution (worked for me temporarily); or
3. Writing to jot and they'll send you replacement discs (worked for me).

Streaks can be caused by a variety of issues, including lack of connectivity between the ball tip and the disc. Hope that helps.

Grey Hound
Jun 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
sounds really nice! Thanks for posting! I really appreciate having forums like this. Sharing of ideas is great!

Scottyee
Jun 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Just purchased my very first stylus (Wacom Bamboo Solo) a week ago and really like it a lot. :)
My only concern is there's no cap to protect the rubber tip. :confused:

momentlab
Jun 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
There are a lot of ugly, boring iPad styluses out there. This one actually looks good and you can customize the tip. It's a Kickstarter project. http://kck.st/K1LwVU

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/040/344/2d7d783c2de16650914d0f157f27e613_large.jpg?1340379549

JonMPLS
Jul 3, 2012, 08:30 PM
My stylus experience to date:

Based on the helpful reviews around here, I have 3 of the best around the house.

Bamboo: A very nice feel and good basic stylus. My second favorite.

Jot: Just can't warm up to the design. I don't really like the feel, and it seems to respond a little slow compared to how I write.

iFaraday: Wow, my current favorite. Really responsive. For various reasons I ended up with three of them. The Artist, the RXII and the SALT. Of these, I really like the Artist the best. All are really nice, but the Artist just seems to work best for me. What I like the best is that the iFaraday keeps up with me. The others I have tried end up leaving gaps when I write. Also, I like a light touch, and the iFaradays all work with a light touch.

agallowa
Jul 7, 2012, 01:45 PM
My review of the Jot Pro:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7492351544_faf82e7b53_c.jpg

While styluses can be useful when used the right way it still can be hard to get real accurate results from nearly every stylus on the market today. The Adonit Jot Pro however has a super slim tip that no other stylus before it has been able to achieve.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7492346170_2157f809fe_c.jpg

The Jot Pro comes with a metal screw on cap to ensure that your stylus tip stays safe and secure while not in use that matches the rest of the aluminum body. The tip can also screw into the opposite side of the stylus when the pen is in use so you donít lose it. The grip pad is fairly comfortable as well but I did notice it attracted lint and dust if your not careful.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7492346874_2525f173de_c.jpg

The tip of the Jot Pro has a thin clear disc attached to it that basically acts as a conductor to activate the touch screen sensitivity. Since the disc is clear and fairly small this makes drawing and more importantly writing very accurate. I have not used another stylus that can match the accuracy of the Jot Pro hands down.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7492347564_a1c949f2d8_c.jpg

While the tip is the most accurate tip you can find it is however a little awkward to use if youíre normally used to using a regular rubber tipped stylus. The clear plastic disc tends to get stuck in the last position you used it at the angle you were writing at. Upon using it again you have to push the disc down again at whichever angle you are writing which can get a little annoying. Itís not as simple as just picking up the stylus and writing with no worries like with a normal stylus. However after using the stylus for a while you become familiar with the way it handles and doesn't continue to be an issue.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7492350384_4f8b795313_c.jpg

Drawing with the Jot Pro was surprisingly easy and fun once you get used to the ergonomics of the pen. I was expecting this to be more of a writing tool not a drawing instrument but I was wrong it was a joy to use in both areas.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7276/7492349966_57d80ca0ce_c.jpg

The Jot Pro also can attach to your iPad and Smart Cover with the magnetic feature that is nice and handy. While itís not going to stick on there if youíre flinging your iPad around it will stay under normal use.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7492348724_f84f28fa9b_c.jpg

The aluminum finish of the Jot Pro is very nice and seems like it will withstand the abuse you may put it through on a day to day basis. The footprint of the stylus is fairly compact and small as well which is a plus since you want your stylus to stay as small of a form factor as possible so it doesnít get in the way.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7492350706_458572c665_c.jpg

At the end of the day as long as you give yourself enough time to get comfortable with the unique tip and the way it handles I cannot recommend the Jot Pro enough. Not does it have a beautiful understated design but the main selling point here is the amazing accuracy of the tip. So if accuracy is important to you stop looking here and go pick one up immediately.

Amanshah
Jul 20, 2012, 02:06 AM
The Dagi and the Adonit Jot are similar designs. Both use a transparent disc to activate the capacitive screen of the iDevice with a tiny visible point in the middle to identify the precise contact point. The two differ in the length of the stylus itself (The Jot Pro is longer and heavier, more like a true pen) and the Dagi uses a flexible spring to keep the disc in contact with the screen when the writing/drawing is done at an acute (less than 90 degree) angle.

I haven't used the Dagi but I have a friend who has one along with a Jot. He has found the spring to be problematic in keeping the disc in constant contact with the screen compared to the Jot. Others may have a different experience.

Personally, I've found the disc/point design to be problematic, period. Specifically, the design doesn't work very well if one writes at an acute angle to the screen. Note that in the video the reviewer keeps the Dagi at close to 90 degrees in relation to the screen. If you write at a more acute angle, the tendency is for the disc to be out of contact with the screen and consequently for the screen to "miss" short strokes and the beginning of longer strokes.

What this comes down to is that your satisfaction with a particular stylus may well depend on your preferred writing/drawing style. If you write at close to a right angle to the screen (or can adjust to that style) the Dagi or the Adonit Jot may work well for you. If not, you may find that particular design to be problematic.
Have you seen lots of videos on Dagi,Jaja and Jot styluses.Watch it.If you are a product designer or a car designer who wants accuracy and precision,he/she will definately go for the ultimate precision stylus,the jot mini or jot flip or Jot Touch.

Adonit has improved its design to a great extent with the newer versions comming with smaller crosschairs integrated in a small metal circular base which can be seen from the base side of discs which means its now better than Estylo 1.0.
Not only better but the best stylus till now.There is Allmost no offset in input in adonit Jot but there is a big offset in jaja or Dagi.Definately some research is done by Adonit team to achieve the precision.
Why Dagi or jaja have offset input while starting a new line?
The answer is simple.The disc are like finger and capacitive screen even Infact detect a slight blunt touch.That disc are infact not even rigid but flexible hence produces error.But Adonit has solved this technical problem of precision with its secret research with the help of engineered Ball point tip and cross chairs.I am not a marketing man,but I am telling what I have noticed and according to me Jot is the best stylus.

Before deciding to buy Jot,I saw many videos of Dagi,jaja,etc and the offset in that made me to think that investment of iPad was not worth and should have purchased Motion J3500 or Durabook U12C but it was made worth only by the Jot mini.

MathRulz
Jul 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
The streaky jot can be fixed with:

1. conductive grease applied between the ball and the connector on the disc (so I've read)
2. Cleaning the ball with cleaning solution (worked for me temporarily); or
3. Writing to jot and they'll send you replacement discs (worked for me).

Streaks can be caused by a variety of issues, including lack of connectivity between the ball tip and the disc. Hope that helps.

I was a kickstarter backer of jot pro. Tried all of these ideas and none of them worked for me. I own several styli. The one I use is iFaraday.

Talon Six
Jul 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
I ordered the LunaTik after doing the research on this site and a few others like iLounge. It was supposed to have shipped by now, but instead I got his email yesterday:

Hi,
We have run into some challenges with production ramp up, as*we have needed to unexpectedly refine production tools and fixtures to meet LunaTik quality standards. We now*anticipate shipping pre-orders in early August. We know that this has been a longer journey than expected, but we are committed to bringing you a quality product and are happy to have you with us. *We appreciate your patience and are excited for you to receive your pens!

Thank you!
Jillian

LUNATIKô

Jillian Lohndorf
Customer Service Manager

Hopefully I'll be able to post a review of my own on the LunaTik next month.

paygong
Jul 23, 2012, 04:10 AM
i had the jot classic which stopped working after 2wks of normal use. warranty wasn't honored since according to adonit, the store where i bought it isn't an authorized reseller. bummer.

i tried the thermal paste solution. worked fine except for the fact that it spread out insidethe disc, which now is pretty opaque -- defeats its purpose. it feels like an ordinary rubber-tipped stylus. now im waiting for this unauthorized reseller to stock replacement discs and cap.

marty1990
Jul 23, 2012, 07:05 AM
Just ordered a Wacom Bamboo. Was tempted by the Jot Pro, but read that in some cases it can scratch the screen? Dunno if that's true, so figured a rubber tipped one would be best. Looked at some reviews and, after being unable to purchase the Kuel H10, I went for the Bamboo. Also read online that the metal housing around the rubber tip can scratch the iPad's scree? Again, dunno if that's true? Surely a lot of pressure would have to be applied.

Steve2311
Jul 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
So I've purchased a few nice ones and a few cheap ones. Besides the initial feel of each item the actual writing on screen is almost identical. Once you've lost a few of these things you start to ask yourself why you're paying so much money for the nice ones when the cheaper ones work just as well. Here is a pack of 14 for less than the price of many of the ones posted here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075IQKYA (http://www.themostpinteresting.com/B0075IQKYA)

Thomasss95
Jul 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
I want to buy a stylus, especially for DrawSomething and Paper by FifthyThree.
I am considering the following three:
- Just Mobile AluPen
- Wacom Bamboo Stylus
- Studie Neat Cosmonaut

I read the whole thread, but I saw nobody talking about the Cosmonaut.
Here is a link to the site: http://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut/
Anyone any experience with it?

I saw a new stylus on the website of Speck.
The MagStylus: http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/magstylus-for-ipad.html
It's cheaper than the other ones, but is it any good?

What would be the best stylus for drawing and some basic navigation on the internet?

zarusoba
Aug 5, 2012, 06:46 AM
The Jot Touch is shipping at last.

Here's a review in Macworld:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167950/adonits_jot_touch_pressure_sensitive_ipad_stylus_shows_incredible_promise.html

Hex 3 JaJa is on the home strait also.

I'm still using a Nomad Brush at this stage, but I doubt I'll go back to the dumb sticks after I get my hands on these babies.

Karmak
Aug 8, 2012, 09:02 AM
My Maglus stylus shipped yesterday. I look forward to trying it out.
http://the-maglus.myshopify.com/

Currently I use the Bamboo the most with the Ifaraday RXII in a close second. I also have an Ayl, Jot Pro, Splash and Ifaraday Artist in the drawer but have not used them much.

Xultar
Aug 8, 2012, 09:37 AM
My review of the Jot Pro:

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7492351544_faf82e7b53_c.jpg)

While styluses can be useful when used the right way it still can be hard to get real accurate results from nearly every stylus on the market today. The Adonit Jot Pro however has a super slim tip that no other stylus before it has been able to achieve.

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8027/7492346170_2157f809fe_c.jpg)

The Jot Pro comes with a metal screw on cap to ensure that your stylus tip stays safe and secure while not in use that matches the rest of the aluminum body. The tip can also screw into the opposite side of the stylus when the pen is in use so you donít lose it. The grip pad is fairly comfortable as well but I did notice it attracted lint and dust if your not careful.

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7492346874_2525f173de_c.jpg)

The tip of the Jot Pro has a thin clear disc attached to it that basically acts as a conductor to activate the touch screen sensitivity. Since the disc is clear and fairly small this makes drawing and more importantly writing very accurate. I have not used another stylus that can match the accuracy of the Jot Pro hands down.

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7492347564_a1c949f2d8_c.jpg)

While the tip is the most accurate tip you can find it is however a little awkward to use if youíre normally used to using a regular rubber tipped stylus. The clear plastic disc tends to get stuck in the last position you used it at the angle you were writing at. Upon using it again you have to push the disc down again at whichever angle you are writing which can get a little annoying. Itís not as simple as just picking up the stylus and writing with no worries like with a normal stylus. However after using the stylus for a while you become familiar with the way it handles and doesn't continue to be an issue.

Image (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7492350384_4f8b795313_c.jpg)

Drawing with the Jot Pro was surprisingly easy and fun once you get used to the ergonomics of the pen. I was expecting this to be more of a writing tool not a drawing instrument but I was wrong it was a joy to use in both areas.

Image (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7276/7492349966_57d80ca0ce_c.jpg)

The Jot Pro also can attach to your iPad and Smart Cover with the magnetic feature that is nice and handy. While itís not going to stick on there if youíre flinging your iPad around it will stay under normal use.

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7492348724_f84f28fa9b_c.jpg)

The aluminum finish of the Jot Pro is very nice and seems like it will withstand the abuse you may put it through on a day to day basis. The footprint of the stylus is fairly compact and small as well which is a plus since you want your stylus to stay as small of a form factor as possible so it doesnít get in the way.

Image (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7492350706_458572c665_c.jpg)

At the end of the day as long as you give yourself enough time to get comfortable with the unique tip and the way it handles I cannot recommend the Jot Pro enough. Not does it have a beautiful understated design but the main selling point here is the amazing accuracy of the tip. So if accuracy is important to you stop looking here and go pick one up immediately.

It's been 30 days. How are things going with the Jot Pro? Have you had to change the tip yet?

fingernagel
Aug 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
First Bluetooth stylus is out: Jot Touch from Adonit

Reviews:

http://adonit.net/news/macworld-adonits-jot-touch-pressure-sensitive-ipad-stylus-shows-incredible-promise/
http://adonit.net/news/tuaw-jot-touch-review/
http://adonit.net/news/jot-touch-artist-review-roger/

Here some video reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/v/MQNQ7-mCnIs

Pressure sensitivity test in Pro Create:
http://www.youtube.com/v/zaqXx4xFDH0

Jot Touch with Sketch Club:
http://www.youtube.com/v/4PbVCZekPWY

Now the imortant question:
Somebody of you guys in the real world has used this new stylus? Is it worth it?
:D

APlotdevice
Aug 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
It's too bad the Touch doesn't work with the original iPad. (why did apple have to leave out BT headset support?)

ksmith80209
Aug 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
First Bluetooth stylus is out: Jot Touch from Adonit

Now the imortant question:
Somebody of you guys in the real world has used this new stylus? Is it worth it?
:D

I've got one. I actually haven't used it a ton with apps that are "optimized" for the pressure sensitivity, but I can tell you that I like the springy tip on the Touch much better than on the Pro. So much so that this is my main stylus — regardless of the app these days.

I have used it a bit on Sketchbook Pro and the pressure sensitivity thing does work as promised. It's certainly far superior to the Cregle iPen (or as I call it, Satan's Stylus).

chris7777
Aug 31, 2012, 05:39 AM
I am really liking my gosmart. http://justgosmart.com/

It works much better than the jot mini I returned. the clip idea was cool, but it was sharp, and the tip was no where near as responsive as the gosmart 300. I purchased. I have also had a wacom, and was not impressed for the price .

I want to get the 200 model, which I would have gotten in the first place but the bulky looking end where the tip attaches scared me off. With how impressed I am with the 300, I plan on ordering a 200 soon.

its not perfect, tracking is still off center, but I am thinking it may be due to detection programming in certain apps, as some work much better than others. And considering nothing else I have tried even comes close, as this thing just leaves them all in the dust. its quiet for tapping, and the spring tip is very flexible for just about any angle i have tried. The magnets seem to stick out a bit far, but I am thinking its designed to for better attraction through the smart cover than a flush mount would provide. I would prefer flush because i never use mine that way, unless i am just sitting my ipad down for a break on the table or something. But overall for drawing detail, and writing this one just kicks donkey all over the place. I haven't tried jot touch, but until they come up with an alternate tip that's more responsive and quieter, I'm not really interested even with pressure sensitivity. I had wondered if the issues I had with my jot mini were due to the smaller disk it had for its tip. But I dried an open box original, and the gosmart is still leaps and bounds better, other than the tip coming down into a literal ball point. But I'll take performance over nostalgia for a real pen any day.

tonyz3
Aug 31, 2012, 07:31 AM
Hi everyone,
If anyone is interested-- i have a brand new handstylus which just arrived yesterday Black, with the extra tips included. It is beautiful- very high quality- in a nice case and writes very nice on my wifes IPAD 2. She is not a stylus person so she is not going to use it. Since i ordered it from kickstarter 3-4 months ago i have let go my Iad2 so i dont need it either.
I purchased/backed it for $30 and will sell it to anyone for $20 which will include shipping.. ONLY ins USA. Sorry.

But PM me if you would like it.:)