Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Hey gang, I've got an issue that has just started to pop up and is driving me crazy. It happens while playing TF2 during a map change. It doesn't happen every time so I'm not sure what the deal is.

I'll notice "Retrieving Server Info" has been taking a long time and I'll try to hit escape or the Cancel button and nothing happens. At this point the computer is basically frozen. The mouse will move, but I can't Apple+Tab out to the desktop, use Control+arrows to switch Spaces or even Alt+Cmd+Esc to bring up the Force Quit window.

The computer hasn't crashed completely because I can still SSH in from another machine and everything is still running. Checking TOP it shows that the WindowServer process has become "stuck." Killing Steam or TF2 doesn't fix it and even killing the WindowServer process won't fix the situation. It immediately becomes "stuck" again after restarting itself. My only remedy is to force a computer reboot through the SSH connection.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else ever seen this before with or without a game involved?

packav

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Tf2

TF2 is a mess right now, since the hatless update a few weeks ago, there has been wide-spread crashing across osx users. Valve has yet to acknowledge the problem. Until there's a patch, I recommend bootcamping Win7 or XP to get your TF2 fix :D

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Oh dear. Yeah. TF2 has really been rough lately. My framerates have been worse, it's been crashing left and right. I've found for me it's caused by the Steam overlay. It's a bit of a pain but if I disable it I can play TF2 for at least an hour before something else happens as a general rule.

Thank goodness Portal 2 came out to entertain me for a while.

packav

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Hmm the overlay doesn't bother me. I'm not sure what's causing it. I found a TF2 server that I can play on for hours on end that has custom maps only. Very strange. Anyway I opened a support ticket, I hope something comes of it.

Jomskylark

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
Sometimes the game will freeze on the "Retrieving Server Info" loading page for me, but continue after 15-20 seconds. How long did you leave it running for? It make not have frozen but just take a really, really long time to load... :rolleyes:

packav

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
i get the pinwheel sometimes there too, usually takes a bit, but it will eventually load :D this is on my 11" mba too so it's not your computer :D

also my crashing has been fixed as of the last update. the tech email said only to validate my game cache which I did. I'm not sure which fixed it :D

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
i get the pinwheel sometimes there too, usually takes a bit, but it will eventually load :D this is on my 11" mba too so it's not your computer :D

also my crashing has been fixed as of the last update. the tech email said only to validate my game cache which I did. I'm not sure which fixed it :D

Yeah, I've noticed less crashing (only once) amongst my source based games for the last week or so. Which is great. Still not perfect. It's better though. I've still had lots of connection issues with Steam in Mac OS though.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
This issue was happening long before the fiasco that the Hatless Update was. I also found tonight it isn't restricted to TF2. It happened again to me this evening while I was playing HOARD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.