Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Does anyone have any opinions on the Booq Powersleeve? I'd like a sleeve for my new PB...but since I'm going to drop at least $30 for a decent one...I'd like some more functionality out of it. I'd like something to take to the cafe or library without my bookbag. So having that strap seemed nice. How does it fit in a bookbag when I need it to? Any opinions on this or any of the booq boa bags?

Thanks!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I was actually looking at these too. The PowerSleeve17 looks pretty sweet, especially as there aren't many sleeves/cases for that thing...

I know nothing about 'em though, so looking forward to what people say. :)

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have one for my 17" PowerBook. I use it as a backup system when I don't feel like carrying my Brenthaven backpack. The handle makes it very easy to carry and with the new hinges for the strap, I don't worry about it falling off my shoulder. I had an older version and when they updated the sleeves, I sent mine back and they sent me the newer version at no charge.

The inside is made of a really soft material, which won't scratch your PowerBook. It is definitely worth the $30.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
kasei said:
I had an older version and when they updated the sleeves, I sent mine back and they sent me the newer version at no charge.

Wow! If only Apple did that... :p

Really though... is there room for the AC adapter? And could you carry it say, a few hours each day, without feeling much discomfort? (regarding the 17") :)

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
I have an old northface sleeve thats sort of the same thing, but no strap. It was like a briefcase with a pocket....just small enought for the powercord, a few pieces of paper and the PB.

Anyone have either the Powersleeve or Vyper care to chime in?!

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Well. I just went ahead and purchased the 14 Powersleeve for my 15" PB. Here's a tip for everyone. Use code pbzone05 for 10% off your order!

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
rapps said:
I'd like something to take to the cafe or library without my bookbag. So having that strap seemed nice. How does it fit in a bookbag when I need it to?

I am a new PB owner, and I bought my Booq Powersleeve for these exact reasons. I wanted something I could carry my laptop in alone if I was going to visit a friend or to the library, but I'm also a graduate student and teaching associate--so I wanted something I could fit into my schoolbag as well.

For me, it sure does the trick. My schoolbag is smaller than a regular backpack, and it has just a shoulder strap to it. My Powersleeve (12") fits into the bag leaving enough room for my class binder and handouts/papers to grade/coursepack. I probably couldn't fit more than an additional textbook in there in addition to everything else I've just mentioned. In the back is the large zipper pocket. I haven't tried to fit 8.5x11" paper in there yet--I'd be happy to try if it's something you wanted to know about--but I carry some smaller scrap paper and a pen. In the front pocket, I fit my AC adapter (and sometimes keys too). That's all I take with me.

Since I don't know what size schoolbag or Powersleeve you're looking at (edit: Now I do, but only because you posted while I was composing this message!), I'll go ahead and mention that my husband has the 15" Powersleeve. He's very happy with it and can fit it into a standard backpack with books when he wants to. The most noticeable instance that comes to mind is when he carried it this way when we flew to San Francisco, so that the laptop bag would be hidden while we were waiting in the airport.

Hope this helps!

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Gwendolyn said:
I am a new PB owner, and I bought my Booq Powersleeve for these exact reasons. I wanted something I could carry my laptop in alone if I was going to visit a friend or to the library, but I'm also a graduate student and teaching associate--so I wanted something I could fit into my schoolbag as well.

For me, it sure does the trick. My schoolbag is smaller than a regular backpack, and it has just a shoulder strap to it. My Powersleeve (12") fits into the bag leaving enough room for my class binder and handouts/papers to grade/coursepack. I probably couldn't fit more than an additional textbook in there in addition to everything else I've just mentioned. In the back is the large zipper pocket. I haven't tried to fit 8.5x11" paper in there yet--I'd be happy to try if it's something you wanted to know about--but I carry some smaller scrap paper and a pen. In the front pocket, I fit my AC adapter (and sometimes keys too). That's all I take with me.

Since I don't know what size schoolbag or Powersleeve you're looking at (edit: Now I do, but only because you posted while I was composing this message!), I'll go ahead and mention that my husband has the 15" Powersleeve. He's very happy with it and can fit it into a standard backpack with books when he wants to. The most noticeable instance that comes to mind is when he carried it this way when we flew to San Francisco, so that the laptop bag would be hidden while we were waiting in the airport.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your input! I decided to get the smaller 14"Powersleeve for my 15"PB. That way, i guess, I could fit more into a backpack when I need to. The site said that the 14" holds the 15".....we'll see!!

Thanks again!

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Good decision, you'll be happy with your new powersleeve. I have the 15 for my 15" PB, and it's great, though a little big for the PB. It fits fine into any standard backpack, so I put it in a ratty canvas bag whenver I travel. Much safer than walking around with a "steal-me" brenthaven laptop backpack.

Enjoy the booq!

brian4610

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
I orderd the Viper M for my 15", do you think the the sleeve is better then the viper?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.