Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey all. I have a few questions. I will be out of town for awhile but I will have my trusty powerbook with me so I figured I would ask some questions to keep me entertained on the road. I know this was addressed in a post earlier but I will ask here as part of my list of questions.

1. What is a good sleeve that does not cost too much?
2. Is there a good way to cool the powerbook while it is in my lap? What products will do this and what are their names?
3. What product will clear the keyboard, palm rest and mouse button as they get dirty over time?
4. Should I be worried about denting the aluminum case under normal use?

You responses would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Chrispy,
1. This forums is full of reviews ... but most of us have only used one or two, so it's hard to compare. I am happy with my Tucano second skin; it cost $20 or so. Comes in 2 styles and multiple colors, all custom-sized to your PB (they make a generic 12" laptop size that doesn't fit as well, plus an iBook-specific one). I'm sure there are other similar or even better options, though. You know about the big sleeve thread of course.

2. I have no experience with any such product. But I think you'd have to be using it on your lap for a long period of time to actually make trouble for the PB. The fan helps out, right? I'd imagine a blanket- or bed-type surface is worse; at least your lap allows for some natural venting.

3. I use a lightly moistened (usually paper) towel. It works well. I have seen no adverse effects after having the PB for almost 5 months now. (watch, tomorrow it turns brown or something)

4. I have no problems with this yet, although my PB is not on the road more than a couple days per week. Normal use of course varies person to person, but I am inclined to answer no.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
mcgarry said:
3. I use a lightly moistened (usually paper) towel. It works well. I have seen no adverse effects after having the PB for almost 5 months now. (watch, tomorrow it turns brown or something)

EEeewwww!! :p

If you want to spoil your PB use iKlear protective polish... it's pretty cheap, and has some cool added benefits:

• you get that new "sheen" everytime
  • helps prevent fingerprints/marks
  • protects with each coat
  • used by AppleCare

Yup.. I had my doubts but this stuff is pretty awesome. Best on the screen but works wonders on the whole case.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
dferrara said:
EEeewwww!! :p

eeeww may be right, but seriously I've had to do this maybe 3 or 4 times the entire time I've owned this thing. Maybe it's just me, maybe the PBs don't get dirty or show dirt easily, but the towel method gets results. And my PB's plenty shiny as it is, don't want to blind anyone now, do we!

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I dunno if I got a bad batch or something, but I got an iklear sample with an iskin that I bought for my pb keyboard, and it made my lcd all smudged up and dirtier, no matter how much I rubbed. I just went back to using a dry, soft cloth and that fixed the LCD smudges...

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
i just bought a ScreensavRz from Radtech.us to deal with the cleaning aspect. It should be here by this weekend, so i'll be sure to let you know how it works out. I got their sleeve too... not for protection against denting, but for protection of the ports/optical drive while its in my bag. I'll post back when i get it in.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Sutekidane said:
I dunno if I got a bad batch or something, but I got an iklear sample with an iskin that I bought for my pb keyboard, and it made my lcd all smudged up and dirtier, no matter how much I rubbed. I just went back to using a dry, soft cloth and that fixed the LCD smudges...

Well, it's polish, so you have to buff it with the provided lint-free cloth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.