Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shawn Welch posted a short video showing off a sample iPad app utilizing Adobe's newly announced Photoshop Touch SDK. While Adobe had already announced several official iPad-companian apps for Photoshop, the opening of the SDK will open the door for 3rd party developers to offer their own tools.

http://vimeo.com/22223941

The Photoshop Remote app shows how you can access all active Photoshop installations on your network. The images on the iPad reflect in close-to-realtime the changes made on the running copies of Photoshop on the local network. Images can also be manipulated on the iPad itself.
Photoshop Remote is a heads-up-display for all of the Photoshop CS 5.5 installations on your local network. The dashboard gives you a live thumbnail of each connected client while giving you the ability to perform global actions on all connected clients like saving open images to your iPad photo library, opening the same image on all connected computers, or sending a message to all connected computers. When you drill down to an individual screen, you have even more functionality such as tool selection, color selection, filters, adjustment layers, and more.

This app is expected to be released in May, and there will certainly be others from other 3rd party developers.

Article Link: 'Photoshop Remote' Video Shows More SDK Possibilites

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Two weeks ago I posted how much PS could benefit from tablet devices. Nice that Adobe listened to me and acted so promptly :p

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

Impossible. This isn't supposed to happen.

The iPad isn't a serious computer.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The Photoshop Remote app shows how you can access all active Photoshop installations on your network. The images on the iPad reflect in close-to-realtime the changes made on the running copies of Photoshop on the local network. Images can also be manipulated on the iPad itself.

Can Adobe do all of CS? How about any computer and app? :eek:

Now, Management can make sure the workers are doing their work... ;)

:rolleyes:

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Back when the iPad was first released I imagined it being used as an extension to desktop apps in a more meaningful way than has been done up until now. Adobe creating a Photoshop specifically for this type of interaction is awesome and something I expected from Apple in a more widely available fashion. Adobe beat Apple to the punch here.

Adobe seems awakened from a little slumber since Apple outright attacked Adobe's handling of Flash and slow uptake on the mobile space. Adobe is gaining my respect in its reaction. Let's see Flash transition 100% to a creation tool for multimedia via the tech formerly known as HTML 5. That will be something. Going to be rough going as the standards settle, however.

Overall, very cool progress on Adobe's part and I'm no Adobe apologist. :cool:

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
This story will have over 9000 negs by tonight by virtue of being from adobe and relating to the iPad .

That is all.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Adobe seems awakened from a little slumber since Apple outright attacked Adobe's handling of Flash and slow uptake on the mobile space. Adobe is gaining my respect in its reaction.

My thoughts exactly. Kudos to how Adobe has taken it on the chin. They are responding in the best way possible.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Pardon my ignorance, but is the iPad just an external monitor for PS? Aside from rotating a photo :)rolleyes:) I'm struggling to see where they are going with this :confused:

Edit to add... my bad, just saw the news article from earlier. Prob should have scrolled down.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Pardon my ignorance, but is the iPad just an external monitor for PS? Aside from rotating a photo :)rolleyes:) I'm struggling to see where they are going with this :confused:

Edit to add... my bad, just saw the news article from earlier. Prob should have scrolled down.

Yeah, well they kinda buried the lead! I think a better app would just be mac remote. Or do they have that already? To just mirror the mac and control it remotely.

Providing a 3rd screen where you can draw directly on the image is also cool. Like those expensive Wacoms that do that.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Brilliant.
Bravo Adobe....never thought I'd say that ;)
Up till now i have not found a compelling reason to own an iPad but if it can access my main computer files and allow some even minor manipulating, now we are cooking with gas!
I want to be able to read a text doc (say a recipe in my kitchen) or view a graphics file without walking into my home office.
When I can do that then sign me up. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.