PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if Adobe CS4 Design Premium will work with Lion?

definitive
Apr 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
As the title states...

Mr. Retrofire
Apr 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
As the title states...

I do not see why it should not work. CS3 works without problems under SL, so we can expect that CS4 works under Lion. However, make sure that you do not use incompatible third party plugins!

one1
Apr 11, 2011, 12:06 PM
My CS5 Master works just fine.

definitive
Apr 11, 2011, 02:07 PM
I do not see why it should not work. CS3 works without problems under SL, so we can expect that CS4 works under Lion. However, make sure that you do not use incompatible third party plugins!

when sl came out, cs3 was having many issues with it such as loading files and crashing.

My CS5 Master works just fine.

cs5 is a much more recent package, and cs4 isn't really supported anymore. that's the main reason i'm asking.

one1
Apr 11, 2011, 03:59 PM
CS5 shares the same architecture, built for intel unlike CS3 hence why I responded.

masterjames
Apr 15, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have CS4 Design Premium running just fine with OSX Lion Preview 2.

tomstrickfaden
Jun 20, 2011, 10:18 AM
Good question. On my system running Snow Leopard, while CS4 loads, it indicates that it is running under Rosetta, however I also understand that Lion will be dropping support for Rosetta - so I'm wondering as well.

CyBeRino
Jun 20, 2011, 10:49 AM
Good question. On my system running Snow Leopard, while CS4 loads, it indicates that it is running under Rosetta, however I also understand that Lion will be dropping support for Rosetta - so I'm wondering as well.

CS4 is most definitely not Rosetta here:

$ file /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS4/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS4
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4 (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4 (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

baryon
Jun 20, 2011, 12:14 PM
How does Photoshop and Flash CS4 (or CS5 - same thing) work with Mission Control? Flash CS4 and CS5 are extremely buggy (unusable) with Spaces and Exposé in Snow Leopard (and Leopard).

stevemr123
Jun 21, 2011, 05:31 AM
I'm still using CS3 (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop mostly), and works fine with Lion.

peteknopp
Jun 21, 2011, 02:00 PM
Whenever I go to print, Illustrator crashes. Opening AI docs in Reader and printing from there.

Thunderbird
Jun 21, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'd be interested in knowing if mission control/spaces works with CS4 / CS5 as well.

baryon
Jun 26, 2011, 03:51 AM
I'm curious too. There were serious bugs in Snow Leopard, I'm wondering if they're better or worse in Lion.

definitive
Jul 20, 2011, 10:46 AM
Has anyone installed Lion yet and tried their copy of CS4 with it? What were the results?

iLog.Genius
Jul 20, 2011, 11:30 AM
Has anyone installed Lion yet and tried their copy of CS4 with it? What were the results?

Works as it did in Snow Leopard. You should be ok.

jtrenda33
Jul 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
i just installed lion on both my iMac (2007) and macbook pro (2010) and my cs3 apps are working fine, so i would think cs4 wouldn't have any problems either.

definitive
Jul 20, 2011, 01:48 PM
i just installed lion on both my iMac (2007) and macbook pro (2010) and my cs3 apps are working fine, so i would think cs4 wouldn't have any problems either.

cs3 works with lion? holy moly haha

bonbebe
Jul 20, 2011, 04:48 PM
illustrator cs4 crashed whenever I try to print. I don't know what to do...

definitive
Jul 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
Here's an update on my initial question: I've installed CS4 just now, and the setup went well. I then ran Illustrator, and it asked me to install a Java update. The download was 65megs, after which the application was able to run. I then installed the updates, and tried briefly using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. They worked without crashing or presenting any problems.

illustrator cs4 crashed whenever I try to print. I don't know what to do...

It could be a printer driver issue. I tried printing, and everything worked fine.

jobbydesign
Jul 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
I, too, am having problems with InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4 crashing when printing. I don't even get to the print dialog box. When I select "Print" I get the dreaded spinning rainbow ball, then after a few moments, the program crashes. I doubt this is a printer problem because Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 8 and Acrobat Pro 9 print fine. I did update to Java For Mac OS X 10.7 after installing Lion as suggested in Adobe's documentation on known issues with Lion.

I can certainly export to PDF and print from there in a pinch, but I really need some of the functions InDesign offers, such as the "Print Booklet" feature. I'm hoping I'll find someone through these forums who has experienced — and solved — this issue.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

kamuix
Jul 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
cs3 still works fine for me also. i did the java update and it works alright. i am also having the same print issue also in illustrator. ps3 works fine, print wise also. wonder what kinda bug it is.

bonbebe
Jul 26, 2011, 09:01 AM
I just got this from Adobe Forum by Alsolve and it works.

remove adobe PDF PPD from the following folders:

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj,

Thanks so much Alsolve.

Synergie
Jul 26, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'm running half and half as far as Adobe stuff goes.... I upgraded PS to CS5, but still have InDesign and Dreamweaver CS4, oh and Lightroom 3. Everything I have works fine here with Lion. No issues whatsoever... at least for me!

jobbydesign
Jul 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
I just got this from Adobe Forum by Alsolve and it works.

remove adobe PDF PPD from the following folders:

OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/en.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_CN.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Ja.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/ko.lproj,
OS/Library/Printers/PPDs/contents/Resources/Zh_TW.lproj,

Thanks so much Alsolve.

Ditto on the thanks to AIsolve! Works for me, too!

cherylnco
Nov 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
Now with everything going to the icloud, I guess I HAVE to upgrade to Lion. I do not have an extra $1000 to spend on the CS5 upgrade (especially with CS4 is working just fine for me) but I am afraid if I upgrade to Lion I will have to upgrade to CS5. Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to make sure I do before the upgrade? When I went to Adobe's site it said to make sure I have Java Runtime installed (JRE) which I do. Is there anything else I should do before I proceed with the upgrade?

Most of my other apps are not important but I HAVE to have CS4 since I am a freelance Graphic artist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any major GOTCHAs I need to be aware of after the upgrade?

I do have a current TimeMachine back up, but I have never had to use it so I am a little afraid to rely on it.

definitive
Dec 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
Now with everything going to the icloud, I guess I HAVE to upgrade to Lion. I do not have an extra $1000 to spend on the CS5 upgrade (especially with CS4 is working just fine for me) but I am afraid if I upgrade to Lion I will have to upgrade to CS5. Does anyone know if there is anything special I need to make sure I do before the upgrade? When I went to Adobe's site it said to make sure I have Java Runtime installed (JRE) which I do. Is there anything else I should do before I proceed with the upgrade?

Most of my other apps are not important but I HAVE to have CS4 since I am a freelance Graphic artist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any major GOTCHAs I need to be aware of after the upgrade?

I do have a current TimeMachine back up, but I have never had to use it so I am a little afraid to rely on it.

CS4 works fine on Lion for me, though I am thinking of upgrading to CS5.5 before 6 is released since they won't have a CS6 from CS4 upgrade available. The CS5.5 upgrade for Design Premium costs around $500.