PDA

View Full Version : Is my MacBook screwed?

shuffles
Apr 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have a terrible feeling that something is really wrong with my MacBook Pro. It wouldn't turn on a few days ago. It would try to power up (I could hear the fans moving) but a few seconds later it would turn off (the led indicator on the front was still flashing so it wasn't completely off). At first I thought it had no battery (even though the indicator on the side said it was full) so I plugged it in. Nothing changed. Eventually, it turned on enough to bring up my login page except the screen was kind of greyed out and it had a loading/resume bar (the same thing that normally happens when the battery goes and it resumes where you previously left off).

Every time I tried to type in my password, it would literally take about 30 seconds to register my key strokes (there was a constant spinning beach ball). After that, it turned off again. Eventually I left it alone and when I came back to it that evening, it was working perfectly.

Is my battery screwed? Could it be my ram due to the constant spinning beach ball? I've noticed a huge performance slow down in the last few weeks.

It's a late 2009 MBP 13".

paulrbeers
Apr 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
Have you tried a new hard drive?

shuffles
Apr 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
Haven't done anything yet. Is there a way I can check the laptop to see if everything is working properly? ie a free program or something?

msjones
Apr 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
You can try booting from a Linux live disk like ubuntu to see if you are able to get a working desktop. You can also use this to check the hard disk and memory.