PDA

View Full Version : generic ebay smart cover compatible shell

clyde2801
Apr 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330549182139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Basically, a TPU cover with the notch on the side for the smart cover already made. Price, $16.00 with free shipping from USA, received within a week of ordering.

Not a bad case (for the money), but the fit and finish around the lip of the bezel fits a bit loosely. It does allow smart cover functionality. They also had to whack off a fair amount of shell to allow for the cover to fold all the way back.

In the meanwhile, I got an incase magazine jacket case from Best Buy (for $49.99) which I modded with magnetic tape for smart cover functionality. I'm trying to decide which of the two I like better. Truthfully, I'd like to rip the flimsy cover off the incase case and dremel the slot on the side to allow smart cover functionality.

Excuse the quality of the pictures, I took them with my old imac at the office. It also looks like the incase started to rub off the edges of my ghost armor off of the screen. Yikes.

clyde2801
Apr 11, 2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, and am I the only one who feels like a dork for repeatedly opening and closing their smart cover(s) to make sure it's functioning?:o

outphase
Apr 11, 2011, 12:07 PM
Oh, and am I the only one who feels like a dork for repeatedly opening and closing their smart cover(s) to make sure it's functioning?:o

Ever keep opening the fridge to see if the light goes on/off? Same idea :P

Ferris23
Apr 11, 2011, 12:38 PM

haha I do that too.

I'm also thinking of modding the Incase still. It would need a little cut off at each end, and the entire edge of the cutout would have to be increased as well. Tempting though.

The only thing that would annoy me is the bars on the back essentially become useless. How well do you think those would come off? They look glued.

clyde2801
Apr 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
haha I do that too.

I'm also thinking of modding the Incase still. It would need a little cut off at each end, and the entire edge of the cutout would have to be increased as well. Tempting though.

The only thing that would annoy me is the bars on the back essentially become useless. How well do you think those would come off? They look glued.

can't tell if its glue or molded out of one piece of plastic. Will see if the new cover combo can be used with my monster car charger/fm transmitter.

MiamiBourne
Apr 11, 2011, 02:34 PM
haha I do that too.

I thought about modding the Incase Magazine Jacket also, but price wise...$40 or $70 smart cover + $50 for the Incase Mag Jacket is just too much. So I'm going to try the eBay case which I bought for $12.89 w/free ship and the $40 smart cover.

shardey
Apr 12, 2011, 12:26 AM
I thought about modding the Incase Magazine Jacket also, but price wise...$40 or $70 smart cover + $50 for the Incase Mag Jacket is just too much. So I'm going to try the eBay case which I bought for $12.89 w/free ship and the $40 smart cover.

I just ordered a clear rear case and it should be in next week or the following. I have the incase magazine jacket and I love how it fits snug, but I despise the idea of spandex strap and also how it isn't "smart".

clyde2801
Apr 12, 2011, 05:29 AM
Got an exacto knife to see if I can mod the case so the monster car charger/fm transmitter will work. If it does, the incase magazine is probably going back.

Not a bad case, but the reasons mentioned previously, thin flimsy cover, strap, etc., work against it, especially at its price point. Especially if I have to take a dremel to it for the smart cover to work. The incase is also working the edges of screen protector/lamination loose, so that's almost a game breaker as well.

The TPU is not perfect, either. Fit is a bit loose on the edges, etc., but works well enough for the price and its smart cover functionality.