Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justforkicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I am hesitant to purchase from eBay without any product reviews, but some of these cases are exactly what I am looking for. Front and back protection, auto on/off, very slim, and stand for viewing. Anybody purchase any of these or something similar?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Auto-Sleep-Ultr...453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a658c98d

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Slim-Micr...180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4689434

There are numerous eBay vendors selling similar cases to the above. Hoping for some feedback.

Thanks.

cz9h3d

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
I bought one of the ultra slim cases off eBay just to have something in hand for my iPad (it arrived yesterday).

It's fine - can't complain for $15 shipped (from a U.S. supplier, which was my requirement to get it somewhat quickly). Really my only complaints are that it had a tiny scuff in the vinyl (lower left side of iPad when in portrait mode), and nothing holds the top closed (which seems pretty standard for a lot of cases).

I have a Yoobao on order, which I guess is basically the same, but just higher quality, real leather, etc (and brown). I do like the switcheasy canvas, but am concerned it adds too much bulk. I may just wait a bit and see what materializes. Some of the others looks nice (i.e. STM skinny), but I'm not keen on open ends.

Attachments

• IMG00165-20110414-1312.jpg
    IMG00165-20110414-1312.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG00166-20110414-1312.jpg
    IMG00166-20110414-1312.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG00167-20110414-1313.jpg
    IMG00167-20110414-1313.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 90

cz9h3d

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please of you can do a review of this case thanks

This case looks interesting, but for $30 I need to hear more user input!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It doesn't look like it's worth half of that to be honest. Might as well pony up a little more for a brand name one.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I bought one of the ultra slim cases off eBay just to have something in hand for my iPad (it arrived yesterday).

It's fine - can't complain for $15 shipped (from a U.S. supplier, which was my requirement to get it somewhat quickly). Really my only complaints are that it had a tiny scuff in the vinyl (lower left side of iPad when in portrait mode), and nothing holds the top closed (which seems pretty standard for a lot of cases).

I have a Yoobao on order, which I guess is basically the same, but just higher quality, real leather, etc (and brown). I do like the switcheasy canvas, but am concerned it adds too much bulk. I may just wait a bit and see what materializes. Some of the others looks nice (i.e. STM skinny), but I'm not keen on open ends.

Thanks for the pics and the input, but your case is not the same style as the one mentioned is this thread. The "Ultra Slim" (links above) case being discussed looks like a mix between the Apple iPad 1 case, but with a smart cover (quad-fold) like front.

mutantblack

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Please do a review. 30 is steep for a knock off case while you can spend 50 for a brand name but then if the case is good, save 20 bucks is good deal.

Graph101

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
i have the $15 case (1 fold cover)

i ordered one from hongkong... around $9 w shipping. arrived after 12 days. I like the case for the price.

The leather looks cheap and the cuts extend too much. one thing that really bothers me is that the ipad doesnt stay inside. it moves out because whats keeping it is just a leather flap. Ive seen cases w velcro which kept the ipad tucked in.

Thats why im interested in the $30 case from futureone ebay seller. Its 3folds cover, auto-off and the different material looks interesting.

Please let us know how it goes.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I'd avoid the one selling for $10 plus $15 shipping. This is a scam to get more money and avoid paying full ebay fees that are based on the 'sale' price without shipping. this practice is against ebay policy (of course). I've seen an iPhone4 for $300 with $300 shipping. I could be wrong in this case, but if it costs $15 to ship I'd be surprised as Gomer Pyle. it may not seem like a lot but sellers selling hundreds of cheap items, this tack-on to shipping cost is where the bigger profit is.

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'd avoid the one selling for $10 plus $15 shipping. This is a scam to get more money and avoid paying full ebay fees that are based on the 'sale' price without shipping. this practice is against ebay policy (of course). I've seen an iPhone4 for $300 with $300 shipping. I could be wrong in this case, but if it costs $15 to ship I'd be surprised as Gomer Pyle. it may not seem like a lot but sellers selling hundreds of cheap items, this tack-on to shipping cost is where the bigger profit is.

Why be so concerned about eBay getting cheated out of fees? They make a killing as it is. If there's a way to avoid their high rates, then all the power to them.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I guess I was more bothered by padded shipping.
no way I will pay fake shipping fees to any seller, whether ebay gets their cut or not.
do you really think this case is worth $25 total, seems like there are plenty pf others on ebay at $10-15 inc shipping.

Last edited:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I guess I was more bothered by padded shipping.
no way I will pay fake shipping fees to any seller, whether ebay gets their cut or not.
do you really think this case is worth $25 total, seems like there are plenty pf others on ebay at $10-15 inc shipping.

Plenty? Please post links then, I couldn't find anything. Note this is one with a smart cover-styled cover (with magnet for instant sleep/wake). $25 is the lowest I can find.

As for the padded shipping, I agree this is not the best practice. But if it's between paying $10 case plus $15 shipping and $30 with free shipping, I'd choose the cheaper, given everything else being the same. Why pay $5 more so that eBay can get more money at end?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.