PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 (Alu) Will not charge!

MattMK45
Apr 11, 2011, 02:53 PM
I bought a new charger for this machine around a week ago and for some reason, the battery will not charge. I bought an aftermarket charger, entirely on the basis of costs due to my apple one dying after a good few years. The light on the button to open the lid of the laptop was shining for about 3 days, but has now turned off completely.

Whenever I try to charge the laptop with the new charger, the laptop makes a slight buzzing noise (It's quite hard to explain what it actually sounds like). Today when I inserted the charger, the laptop did emit the turn-on bong but then switched off about 3 seconds after wards.

If anyone has had a similar problem or knows of a cure, please reply below.

Thank You, Matt. :)

cyberghoser1
Apr 11, 2011, 03:41 PM
I bought a new charger for this machine around a week ago and for some reason, the battery will not charge. I bought an aftermarket charger, entirely on the basis of costs due to my apple one dying after a good few years. The light on the button to open the lid of the laptop was shining for about 3 days, but has now turned off completely.

Whenever I try to charge the laptop with the new charger, the laptop makes a slight buzzing noise (It's quite hard to explain what it actually sounds like). Today when I inserted the charger, the laptop did emit the turn-on bong but then switched off about 3 seconds after wards.

If anyone has had a similar problem or knows of a cure, please reply below.

Thank You, Matt. :)

is it a genuine charger? I saw somewhere someone else did buy a non-genuine charger and voltage was not the same thus making lot of problems, check the DC-inboard.

MattMK45
Apr 12, 2011, 03:29 AM
is it a genuine charger? I saw somewhere someone else did buy a non-genuine charger and voltage was not the same thus making lot of problems, check the DC-inboard.

Ah I did not think of that, I'll check.

Thanks!

MattMK45
Apr 12, 2011, 03:32 AM
It is a charger from a company rather than an official one, but all the voltage readings and so on are the same on both chargers.

cyberghoser1
Apr 12, 2011, 04:44 AM
It is a charger from a company rather than an official one, but all the voltage readings and so on are the same on both chargers.

Try to reset your PMU: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

Nameci
Apr 12, 2011, 04:46 AM
If the battery is accepting a charge, it would generate heat as well as the charger. If it does not, then it migh be your DC-in board.

MattMK45
Apr 13, 2011, 08:18 AM
If the battery is accepting a charge, it would generate heat as well as the charger. If it does not, then it migh be your DC-in board.

I think you are right, when the cord is in the laptop it does not make any heat of any sort and the noise is made by something which is inside the casing.