PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my FitFolio by Speck!

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
Speck announced on thier Facebook page that these were arriving to Target stores. I immediately called my local Target and they had them but for some reason said they could not sell them to me. I called another Target and was also told the same. Frustrated, I called back the original Target and asked for a manager. She said there was no reason for it to not be sold to me and put one on hold for me.

I am VERY pleased with this folio. It isnt too bulkly and is nice and form fitting. You place your iPad 2 into the inside molded shell and it snaps in. I was extra cautious and pulled back to sides and gently let them rest against the iPad. I do still plan on getting a Zagg for it. Anyway, just a quick review for ya and pictures. Enjoy!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/0bcf92b1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/b2c1fad5.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/48913a88.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/9bdee5a4.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/8937bbc1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/03857ec6.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/Wnt2Prtct/ce3338ef.jpg

Aqua Bliss
Apr 11, 2011, 07:08 PM
Looks good...! Might consider this in black.

Does it have auto wake/sleep?

jjk454ss
Apr 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
Looks nice, does it have a magnet for the sleep/wake? Did Target get in other Speck cases that you saw?

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
There is no sleep magnet unfortunately. And this was the first aftermarket iPad 2 case that my local target had in stock.

jjk454ss
Apr 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
There is no sleep magnet unfortunately. And this was the first aftermarket iPad 2 case that my local target had in stock.

Thanks

josun
Apr 11, 2011, 07:14 PM
That looks great. I hope they start offering more colors though.

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 07:17 PM
Speck says black is coming in about a week. :)

josun
Apr 11, 2011, 07:26 PM
Speck says black is coming in about a week. :)

Sweet. Now it's time to decide between the SwitchEasy's Canvas and the FitFolio. They both have almost identical functionality but I wonder which one weighs more. You don't happen to have a scale. Do you? :cool:

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
Sweet. Now it's time to decide between the SwitchEasy's Canvas and the FitFolio. They both have almost identical functionality but I wonder which one weighs more. You don't happen to have a scale. Do you? :cool:

Unfortunately not. Sorry! But if it helps, it add very little additional weight. I was concerned at first but I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

lu0s3r322
Apr 11, 2011, 07:33 PM
what material is it made of? like a rubbery/silicone type material? is it covered in fabric

also, if there are no magnets does the cover stay closed over the screen? how about if you flip it back?

for me it's this versus the pixelskin

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 07:39 PM
what material is it made of? like a rubbery/silicone type material? is it covered in fabric

also, if there are no magnets does the cover stay closed over the screen? how about if you flip it back?

for me it's this versus the pixelskin

There is an elastic band that keeps the fold closed on the iPad (see pic 3 and 5 and you can see the little notch). It works both ways when you have it closed or folded behind when using it. The flap is a faux leather and the shell is a hard plastic (not quite soft rubberized but it does have great grip).

josun
Apr 11, 2011, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately not. Sorry! But if it helps, it add very little additional weight. I was concerned at first but I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

Thanks anyway. I'll just have to check it out in person. ;)

jedolley
Apr 11, 2011, 08:19 PM
Can you please post the dpci# from the receipt?

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Can you please post the dpci# from the receipt?

I think this might be it.

Or I have something with a VCD#...

750-242-348

OR REC#...

1101-1406-0124-1435-8

jedolley
Apr 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think this might be it.

Or I have something with a VCD#...

750-242-348

OR REC#...

1101-1406-0124-1435-8

Yup, that's it. Thanks, but no go at my local target, says none in stock.

jedolley
Apr 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
Yup, that's it. Thanks, but no go at my local target, says none in stock.

Here's a link to see if this is available at your local Target. It should work based on the DPCI#, but have not been able to confirm in person since no Target around me has them. I did confirm this was the right DPCI # when I was at the store because I used one of the end cap scanners and the description showed Speck FitFolio, just none on the Aisle and zero in the stockroom. I used 90210 as a test and it shows available there... Maybe the OP can plug in his zip and see what it comes up. Either way, if it says it's available for you give them a call...

http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile_fiats.jsp?title=fiats&asin=&dpci=057-00-1236&storeNumber=&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0001&AFID=Performics_VigLink&LNM=Primary

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I plugged in my zip, 97030 and it shows limited availability at the store I bought it from.

theman510
Apr 12, 2011, 09:31 AM
Just called the Target near me, Rockaway NJ. Don't have any iPad 2 cases in stock other than Smart Covers but he said he expects more in this week. I'm hoping it's the Pixelskin HD but wouldn't mind looking at this one either.

psychonaut
Apr 12, 2011, 12:07 PM
Picked mine up today and i'll shoot a video tonight (if time allows) but I am not overly impressed.

While it is very slim and light - when you use the stand it exposes the back side of your iPad. There is also a large cut out for the speaker which exposes your iPad to an extent.

Finally (might just be on my case) the inner lining is already coming un-glued and I have noticed that out of the package the red material is catching dirt pretty easily. I saw 5 of these cases at my Target and they all had some black staining on them (I presume it can be wiped off with a damp cloth).

Not trying to be negative but usually Speck produces high quality items and I feel that this one misses the mark just a bit. Looking forward to the PixelSkin HD Wrap :)

jedolley
Apr 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
Looking forward to the PixelSkin HD Wrap :)

That's the one I would prefer as well. Seeing the FitFolio in stores early though is giving me hope that the PixelSkin will be available soon.

jdminpdx
Apr 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
Picked mine up today and i'll shoot a video tonight (if time allows) but I am not overly impressed.

While it is very slim and light - when you use the stand it exposes the back side of your iPad. There is also a large cut out for the speaker which exposes your iPad to an extent.

Finally (might just be on my case) the inner lining is already coming un-glued and I have noticed that out of the package the red material is catching dirt pretty easily. I saw 5 of these cases at my Target and they all had some black staining on them (I presume it can be wiped off with a damp cloth).

Not trying to be negative but usually Speck produces high quality items and I feel that this one misses the mark just a bit. Looking forward to the PixelSkin HD Wrap :)

While the back is partial exposed, I am not concerned since it's only exposed (partially) when your using the stand feature. Plus I have a Zagg that is to be installed. I'm not sure where you get the lack of quality. I feel this is built beautifully. And lastly, any light colored case will catch dirt over time. I'm not sure if Target had them stocked away in a dirty location but mine is flawless. To each his own I guess.

psychonaut
Apr 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
While the back is partial exposed, I am not concerned since it's only exposed (partially) when your using the stand feature. Plus I have a Zagg that is to be installed. I'm not sure where you get the lack of quality. I feel this is built beautifully. And lastly, any light colored case will catch dirt over time. I'm not sure if Target had them stocked away in a dirty location but mine is flawless. To each his own I guess.

The reason why I called out quality is because of the catching of dirt and inner material coming un-glued.

Not a terrible case just some concerns of mine out of the box.

jdminpdx
Apr 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
The reason why I called out quality is because of the catching of dirt and inner material coming un-glued.

Not a terrible case just some concerns of mine out of the box.

I'd take it back and exchange it if it's appearing to come undone. I checked mine to see if I have that issue and I don't.

cheapa55
Apr 12, 2011, 05:06 PM
Looks great! I'm going to pick one up today. Just wondering if it will fit with a skin on it.

also wondering why red was released first at target. :)

cheapa55
Apr 12, 2011, 11:27 PM
I went to my local Target tonight and couldn't find it on the floor. I had to ask the associate to look it up by the dcpi # and he found it in the stock room. I figured I post some pics with the white iPad.

Overall, I'm happy with the case. I would give it a 7/10. No auto on/off is a big minus. The case had gray marks (dirty) on certain places like others have mentioned even though when I received the package it was still in a sealed plastic bag so it must be a manufacturer issue.

I am having doubts that this will fit with any skin because it's almost a perfect fit. I will order a protective film and find out and post my findings.

jedolley
Apr 12, 2011, 11:51 PM
These are starting to show up in stock more and more. Last night when I put in my zip, no store in my list showed and stock, but earlier today it changed to more than half in my list, just not the one closest to me. :p I don't think this is the case I will keep, but I need something to hold me until then and with Target's 90 day return policy, this or the PixelSkin HD Wrap (if/when it gets to Target) will work just fine.

solace
Apr 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
is Target going to carry the black ones too? or just Red?

jdminpdx
Apr 13, 2011, 09:45 PM
is Target going to carry the black ones too? or just Red?

They will be carrying the black but it won't show up in target stores until late this month.

utopianbl
Apr 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
nice. but too thick for my taste

MMakoto
Apr 13, 2011, 09:54 PM

i saw it at my local targets today, it's not as thick as shown from the pictures. there wasn't any of the pixelskin there so i couldn't do a comparison, but overall seems like a nice case.

212rikanmofo
Apr 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
Wow, this is the one folio case I've been waiting for! It looks drop-dead sexy in such a simple, clean and modern way.

I can't wait for the black version to arrive at target so I can finally get one. This case is absolutely beautiful and doesn't take away from the great looks of the device itself.

Would love to hear more reviews from others as well. Thanks for posting this up!

jdminpdx
Apr 14, 2011, 01:25 PM

It's not thick at all. :D

twistrman
Apr 15, 2011, 01:18 PM
i have been eyeballin our store for this with no luck.

happy to see they are showing up, but from your thread and other people now saying that it is coming apart after just days of use, very disappointed. I had high hopes for this case and it is looking for like a fail. Canceling my marware microshell folio case order too because they added additional photos that don't look appealing to me at all. Giant ridge on the back, and just doesn't do it for me.

looks like the incase bookjacket, even with the added thickness, is still the winner for me for now.

I really wanted the fitfolio... I guess i need to go in the business of making a case since no one makes a case the way i want.

cheapa55
Apr 15, 2011, 01:40 PM
i have been eyeballin our store for this with no luck.

happy to see they are showing up, but from your thread and other people now saying that it is coming apart after just days of use, very disappointed. I had high hopes for this case and it is looking for like a fail. Canceling my marware microshell folio case order too because they added additional photos that don't look appealing to me at all. Giant ridge on the back, and just doesn't do it for me.

looks like the incase bookjacket, even with the added thickness, is still the winner for me for now.

I really wanted the fitfolio... I guess i need to go in the business of making a case since no one makes a case the way i want.

I have to say, the issue with it coming apart might not really be an issue. The way I see it is that they designed it that way. It looks like it's coming apart but it's not. I'm not sure how else they were able to make the microfiber fold away from the polycarbonate without making it the way they did. It is by no means "coming apart".

jdminpdx
Apr 15, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have to say, the issue with it coming apart might not really be an issue. The way I see it is that they designed it that way. It looks like it's coming apart but it's not. I'm not sure how else they were able to make the microfiber fold away from the polycarbonate without making it the way they did. It is by no means "coming apart".

I assure you that the case is NOT supposed to do that. The felt isn't supposed to come unglued and show the underlying material. It's supposed to bend at that joint but should be kept together.

jdminpdx
Apr 15, 2011, 03:19 PM

Did you see the pictures I posted BTW?

Xultar
Apr 15, 2011, 03:55 PM
i have to say, the issue with it coming apart might not really be an issue. The way i see it is that they designed it that way. It looks like it's coming apart but it's not. I'm not sure how else they were able to make the microfiber fold away from the polycarbonate without making it the way they did. It is by no means "coming apart".

rofl!

cheapa55
Apr 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Did you see the pictures I posted BTW?

Yes, I saw it in the other thread and my looks exactly the same. However, it doesn't look like it's coming apart. Mine looks like it was made that way. I don't feel like it's coming apart though. I'll keep using it for another week or two to see how it holds.

WilliamG
Apr 18, 2011, 05:06 PM
Some aren't coming apart. Check out the review at www.bighugenerd.com . Just posted it!

3goldens
Apr 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
seems like an awful lot of things going on design wise on the back of this case making it instantly unappealing to me.

also hate the branding on front.

jdminpdx
Apr 19, 2011, 10:36 AM
Some aren't coming apart. Check out the review at www.bighugenerd.com . Just posted it!

Mine didn't come apart when I bought it. After 3 days of repeated use and folding it back behind the iPad, that's when the felt couldn't hold up. It's not strong glue.

icecrystal23
Apr 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
I picked up the FitFolio today. I really like it. It's a little thicker than I thought it would be, but doesn't seem bulky. It looks really slick. I like that in the "movie" position the case is stable enough to be used; it doesn't slide around or fall over. It also seems to stay in place in the typing angle even though there is nothing that secures it in that position.

While the back is partial exposed, I am not concerned since it's only exposed (partially) when your using the stand feature. Plus I have a Zagg that is to be installed.

Looks great! I'm going to pick one up today. Just wondering if it will fit with a skin on it.

I have a PhantomSkinz matte back on my iPad 2 and this case does NOT fit with it on. I kind of got in on well enough to test out the case. If I decide in 2-3 days that I want to keep the case, then I'm going to remove the PhantomSkinz. So I am going to say that no, this case will not fit with a skin (at least not one that goes to the edge like Zagg and PhantomSkinz). I might try a DecalGirl skin (which doesn't go to the edges) instead to protect the exposed back portion, but I'm not even sure if this case will fit with that type of skin.

madat42
Jun 9, 2011, 10:19 AM
Does anyone who has the FitFolio in black tell me if their's actually has a soft-touch (rubberized) cradle? From the descriptions I'm reading it's supposed to but the one I just picked up just feels like its cradle is uncoated plastic. Thanks! By the way, not having the glue separation issue (so far that is).

radiogoober
Jun 9, 2011, 10:44 AM
Dear Speck,

Years ago you created a product, the SpeckTone Retro, which was by far the most beautiful set of speakers for iDevices ever created. Unfortunately the electronics inside were not as fantastic, and they flopped.

Please re-release this product, with quality (AirPlay enabled) electronics.

I'd buy at least 5 sets :)

Thanks