Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Hey guys, my hard drive intermittently stalls...Basically, I'll be working on something, and then all of a sudden, my computer will freeze up. When I give the part of my case near my hard drive a nice slap or two, it will usually resume working.

What's wrong? Is this user-fixable? Should it be covered under AppleCare?

I'm running OS 10.3.8 on a Powerbook G4 12" 1 GHz from right before the March 2004 updates.

And no, I didn't drop it.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
themadchemist said:
Hey guys, my hard drive intermittently stalls...Basically, I'll be working on something, and then all of a sudden, my computer will freeze up. When I give the part of my case near my hard drive a nice slap or two, it will usually resume working.

What's wrong? Is this user-fixable? Should it be covered under AppleCare?

I'm running OS 10.3.8 on a Powerbook G4 12" 1 GHz from right before the March 2004 updates.

And no, I didn't drop it.
Okay you should check my threads on this.. My powerbook was doing the *exact* same thing.... I was freaked out it was the hard drive.... really i was. But i reinstalled everything, and for some weird reason - fixed it. Try calling Apple first, to see what they have to say, then give what i said a go. It worked for me.

kyle

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
This could also be the hardrive sticking on a nasty spot. My G4 Ti does this once a day for the last year, give it a slap, starts again, I think it has a personality. Oh, sorry I was just thinking boss, runs again.

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.