PDA

View Full Version : Is there a point to front screen protectors?

joltaxt
Apr 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
FRONT. Not back.

I have a front BSE that I've had installed since whenever the first shipments came and in all honesty it just doens't look that great. Orange peel effect, and I remember it was definitely more clear without the screen protector.

What kind of glass is the front of the iPad 2? Is it even possible to get that scratched assuming you don't throw it to a cage of tigers? Is it possible for human hands to scratch the front of the iPad?

I'm thinking about taking the front screen protector off. The back was definitely worth it... the front makes my iPad look cheap.

fireman13
Apr 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
Those are notorious for having that orange peel effect. I've tried them all zagg,bse, and bodyguardz. They all look basically the same. They offer great protection on the back but look horrible on the front. I've been using an SGP for quite a while now and have been really happy with them. They will keep your screen looking like glass.
The iPad screen definitely can scratch. It's not real easy to do, but definitely possible. All it take is a piece of sand to get on there and get rubbed into the screen for it to get scratched.

Hope that helps.

xraytech
Apr 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
FRONT. Not back.

I have a front BSE that I've had installed since whenever the first shipments came and in all honesty it just doens't look that great. Orange peel effect, and I remember it was definitely more clear without the screen protector.

What kind of glass is the front of the iPad 2? Is it even possible to get that scratched assuming you don't throw it to a cage of tigers? Is it possible for human hands to scratch the front of the iPad?

I'm thinking about taking the front screen protector off. The back was definitely worth it... the front makes my iPad look cheap.

Maybe you are using the wrong screen protector for the front? Have you tried one of the stiff screen protectors like Power Support.

I use Power Support Anti-Glare HD not for the purpose of scratch protection.

gigemzach
Apr 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
I have the same issue. I'm thinking about going switch easy as I love my protectors for my iPhone 4.

jdminpdx
Apr 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
I have the same issue. I'm thinking about going switch easy as I love my protectors for my iPhone 4.

Zagg is a must for app my Apple products.

gigaguy
Apr 11, 2011, 10:07 PM
I use screen protectors for anti-glare mostly, makes idevices more useable outside or in bright rooms. and anything but zagg, ugg, zagg is a drag.

shawndoc
Apr 11, 2011, 11:48 PM

I don't believe so. The original iPad had "Gorilla Glass" and I know there was a demo out there with people dragging nails across the iPad screen without scratching it.

The iPad 2 is supposed to be Dragon Glass, which is supposed to be just as hard to scratch, but thinner.

erayser
Apr 12, 2011, 12:22 AM
I don't believe so. The original iPad had "Gorilla Glass" and I know there was a demo out there with people dragging nails across the iPad screen without scratching it.

The iPad 2 is supposed to be Dragon Glass, which is supposed to be just as hard to scratch, but thinner.

This guy managed to get his iPad 2 screen scratched, and he has no idea how it got scratched.

Success (iPad 2 screen scratch removal)! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1133703)

Wow. You are a ballsy dude.

How did you get the scratches in the first place?
I have absolutely no idea how I got the scratches. The iPad is always in a fully-enclosed case. If the damned PS screen protectors had been available when I bought the iPad I'd have had one installed, but it wasn't to be. What's funny is that now I'm not really worried about scratches since I know I can fix 'em and I just got an email this evening saying that my PS screen protectors have shipped.

Treebark
Apr 12, 2011, 08:02 AM
I have had iphone 3G, 3GS, 4, ipad 1, and ipad 2, my wife has had all the same, and only one of my iphone screens scratched because I wasn't in the habit of throwing it in my non-key/change pocket....so bad on me. With her iPhones we put power support antiglare on because she tosses it in her purse sometimes.

None of our ipads have front protectors. Obviously we are only keeping our devices for a year.

In my opinion if you have a case or smartcover for the ipad and don't throw it in a bag where hard metal objects can get betwween the front protection and the screen you should be good to go.