Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayeds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I'm an extremely heavy user of my MacBook Air - If I'm awake, I'm practically on it, doing work, etc.

I recently spilt liquid on my keyboard - I did all things needed to be done, and everything works fine, but there is a delay with the keyboard. When I click a button, it takes awhile for it to pop back up.

How can I fix this up, without taking it to an Apple shop?

Thanks!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am sure that rubbing alcohol will loosen the stick and I have been told this is safe for electronics as long as there is NO water in the alcohol.

I would use a q-tip and apply a little at a time working the key.

Make sure the power is off.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
You say you spilled "liquid" on it but didn't elaborate.

If it was a liquid that contained any kind of sugar or sweetening agent, there is a good chance you have some residue in there and there's unfortunately no easy way to clean that out short of the alcohol trick. And even that likely won't work as once the residue has dried its set and you need to rub it off with a cleaning agent.

If it was just water...not sure why its sticking. I've spilled water on my keyboards before and usually sticking the thing overnight in a big container of dry rice absorbs all the moisture and you are good to go. But a coke or coffee or whatever....pretty well a death warrant unless you are willing to crack the case and clean it out that way.

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Ifixit.com has a teardown of the Macbook Air if you're interested in getting in there and cleaning the mess you made.

Jayeds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
You say you spilled "liquid" on it but didn't elaborate.

If it was a liquid that contained any kind of sugar or sweetening agent, there is a good chance you have some residue in there and there's unfortunately no easy way to clean that out short of the alcohol trick. And even that likely won't work as once the residue has dried its set and you need to rub it off with a cleaning agent.

If it was just water...not sure why its sticking. I've spilled water on my keyboards before and usually sticking the thing overnight in a big container of dry rice absorbs all the moisture and you are good to go. But a coke or coffee or whatever....pretty well a death warrant unless you are willing to crack the case and clean it out that way.

Hello,

I'm not to sure what it really was, but the spill was very minimal. I was putting a cap back on a bottle for someone, but failed big time. I'm pretty sure it was a non-diet cordial.

I've seen around the net, that taking the button off then cleaning with a cotton bud should do the trick - What do you think? How do I get the button off? I'm afraid I'm going to end of damaging the computer, but would rather do as much as possible instead of going to a store.

Thanks.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
How do I get the button off?

Check this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kg6EfuR-6Y

The buttons come off pretty easilly, just put something under them and push up. When they come loose, you'll notice a small white plastic frame (see the video) that folds in a scissor-like manner. It's probably stuck under your key when you loosen it. Clean it out, then remove the plastic thing from the key and put it back on they keyboard as the video shows. It snaps into place pretty easilly. Once it is in place, just take the loose key and press it down in it's slot until it clicks into place.

A bit scary the first time you do it, but quite simple once you get the hang of it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.