Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
with the other ways of getting around Word documents like clicking on headings in the Document Map, I'm wondering if ANYONE ever really uses the Notebook View and finds it worthwhile?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Hi all,
with the other ways of getting around Word documents like clicking on headings in the Document Map, I'm wondering if ANYONE ever really uses the Notebook View and finds it worthwhile?

I have honestly never used it; I either use print preview (only when editing to see how long the work is, where it stacks up, etc.) but I mostly type in the drafts page since there is hardly any breaking of writing and allows me to continue going without any distractions :)

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Yeah, I had the impression it was just a 'trendy' but not very practical add-on to Word. Whenever Microsoft tries to be a bit more 'mac' in their design it just flops.

I'm writing a Sci-Fi book for kids. I'm using one file as my Encyclopedia of backstory, and one file as the actual novel. As I write I mainly use the "Document Map" function to jump between Encylopedia 'entries' like Character summaries and place summaries and raw, unvarnished plot summaries.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I might jump around in Word, or even other (free) software I might use, or is it more efficient just to stick with software I know?

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I love Notebook view for taking notes in class. However, I do prefer pencil and paper and my own style of shorthand.

In writing essays and reports, draft view is best for me.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have always used Print View, and Office isn't exactly an application you "play" with, so when I first got Office 2008, I set it to Print View and never explored the other options.

NoteBook View actually looks pretty cool, to be honest. :) I may test it out and see if I like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.