Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPutz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Does anyone know if there are TV Receiver/Tuners that can be plugged into an iPad to allow you to watch broadcast TV shows? I once had a small handheld LCD TV (that became obsolete once digital was mandated) that was great to take to sporting events, etc. Seems like the same could be accomplished with an iPad.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't know of a specific hardware tuner that connects to the iPad but I use Slingbox which works fine on my iPhone and iPad. (I use the iPhone app though, not the iPad app b/c I didn't feel like paying twice.) You hook the Slingbox to your TV and then you watch from your iDevice as long as you have a 3G or WiFi connection. You can also control the TV from the app and if you have a DVR you can control that too.

himesh

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
Birmingham, England
+1 for the Tizi, friend of mine has one, its pretty good as long as you live in an area with good signal. Works with iPad iPhone and iPod Touch as well (only one at a time though)

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
+1 for the EyeTV by Elgato. I have one connected to a Mac Mini that serves as my media server. The EyeTV is connected to an antenna and I get great quality HD reception. I use the EyeTV app on my iPad to watch TV anywhere you have an internet connection.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Thanks to the OP for creating this thread. I had no idea Elgato had an app to stream content. I've found myself numerous times thinking - I really wish I could watch TV on my iPad. I've been forced to watch ABC shows, because of their app.

I will give this a shot when I get home. :D

iPutz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Unfortunately I was hoping to find a device that would attach to the iPad and receive broadcast TV signals without them being streamed from another computer. You know, like a real TV.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's just what the Tizi does through creating its own Wifi network- no internet access or other computer needed - check it out (link above)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's just what the Tizi does through creating its own Wifi network- no internet access or other computer needed - check it out (link above)
Pretty cool!

Does this work in the states? Anywhere you can get a broadcast signal I assume? Are there websites out there to check what signals/stations broadcast in your area?

I'm moving into a new apartment this fall and I won't be having cable (too expensive, really)... so this would be a neat alternative.

CK Seal Beach

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
EyeTV HD is the bomb, definitely my favorite accessory for the iPad. Not just for the viewing live TV, but because I can also record & rip my favorite shows to sync onto my iPad... means I always have content even without any internet, like on a plane.

Elgato EyeTV HD

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Tizi is a smartly-designed product, but too expensive for the limited channels you'll receive. You're better off with EyeTV streaming from your Mac and an app like Xfinity to access tons of On Demand content.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
A new Product from Elgato too- Tivizen. Same concept of a tuner which you connect wirelessly to. No Internet connection required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.