Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
So I'll start from the beginning so hopefully someone will be able to help me with this problem. I got my new G5 iMac a month ago and it has been running perfectly, no crashes at all. I'm very happy with it. The only problem has been that when I print from my Epson 2200 images are dark, very dark. I'm a photographer so I'm very critical of my print quality. I never had a problem with my old G3 iMac, there were minor color differences between screen and print but really nothing that was noticeable to anyone but myself. With the new machine the prints seem to be around 2/3 to a stop darker than what is on the screen. To try and correct this problem I spent 2 days working with Monaco EZ color trying to build a system color profile that would make my output match what I was seeing on my screen. Profiling the display then the scanner (a new Epson 2480 that I just bought two days ago), and then the printer. All of this was to no avail and my prints still look dark. I had noticed that on the new iMac the interface of the printer driver had changed, this morning I thought that maybe the old driver software had been lost somehow in the transfer process to the new machine so I reinstalled the Epson 2200 printer driver from the cd. I thought that maybe this would fix my problems by reinstalling the original driver. However, the printer driver interface remained the same after the reinstall but now there is a major problem with the scanner. Whenever the scanner is plugged in to the USB port the computer completely crashes and I get the dimmed grey screen with the the message that "You must restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button." I've tried plugging the scanner into different ports, deleteing and reinstalling the scanner software, and powering the scanner off before reconnecting and nothing seems to work. It's as if as soon as the computer realizes that the scanner is there it freezes and needs to be restarted without the scanner attached.

Also regarding my dark prints. I found in the printer interface under "printer features" a menu for "feature sets" which has always been set to "basic settings". There is an option for "Expert settings 1" which includes controls for gamma and brightness. The gamma is set at 1.0 and I know the screen gamma setting is 1.8 so I think by playing with these settings I can correct my printing problems. Does that seem correct? Now if I could just get the scanner to work.

Any ideas? I know this is a long post so thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

rk

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
When you say that are removing the scanner software is this the Mac OS X-compatible TWAIN Data Source (Twain Driver) as well or just what resides in the applications folder.

Try downloading some new drivers from Epson, these are for the Photo Version and the Limited Edition

Epson Smart Panel Patch

Twain Driver and Epson Scan Utility v250a (rev 2.5e)

Epson Easy Print v2.10

I would uninstall everything that is Epson on your Mac and then probably reset your Pram (this may help) and repair permissions as well then install the scanner first and test it. Next install the printer and test it then test both together.

If this fails then you may have to manually delete the drivers and then try reinstalling, if you feel up to it.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
I have just been looking around OSX and I think that the drivers may be stored here, I can't really tell you if this is the correct folder as I don't have a scanner attached to my Mac. Perhaps someone could shed some light as to where OS X stores it Twain Drivers.

This may used by the Capture Utility or it may the general folder for the drivers.

Open finder and then open System
Open Library
Open Image Capture
And there should be a folder called Twain Data Sources
Your drivers I rekon will be in here.

Also
Open finder
Open Library
Open Image Capture
Twain Data Sources

In mine I see Epson Scanner Drivers (never had a scanner attached to my Mac)

I can't seem to find anywhere else where they are likely to be installed.

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
Simie,

Thanks for the help. In the meantime I've decided to pack the Epson scanner up and take it back to the Apple store. I decided I like my old Umax scanner better and the Epson isn't worth the headache. Only problem is that Umax doesn't offer a driver for the Astra 2200 that I have for OS10 so I have to get Silverfast. Oh well, I can put the money I'll save by taking the scanner back into buying Silverfast. Thanks anyway. BTW- tweaking the Gamma level in the Epson Printer Driver solved my printing problems.

Take Care,
rk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.