Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Is anyone else having these upload speed issues? Well, I don't know if it's an issue but it takes a ridiculously long time to upload stuff to my iDisk. Right now I am trying to upload a video (44.3mb) to my Movies folder. It's been running for about 20 minutes now and only at 15.7mb. I did some files yesterday was around 10-15min for 2-3mb files. I have 40gb of storage and nothing else is even running except Google Chrome so I can write this, then I will exit. Also on a brand new 2011 15" high-end MBP. Any ideas? Is there settings I should change? Also Dropbox is like instant for me, is it just iDisk?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Is anyone else having these upload speed issues? Well, I don't know if it's an issue but it takes a ridiculously long time to upload stuff to my iDisk. Right now I am trying to upload a video (44.3mb) to my Movies folder. It's been running for about 20 minutes now and only at 15.7mb. I did some files yesterday was around 10-15min for 2-3mb files. I have 40gb of storage and nothing else is even running except Google Chrome so I can write this, then I will exit. Also on a brand new 2011 15" high-end MBP. Any ideas? Is there settings I should change? Also Dropbox is like instant for me, is it just iDisk?

Most ISP's have stupid low upload speeds compared to download. You may get 3 mb/s download but have a 256 k upload. That may be the bottleneck.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
That is pretty good upload speed, should be too slow to upload a file. Then again, you are still constrained by your router, modem and wireless/wired network devices, but still it should move along.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
The nice thing I see with Dropbox is that there is no file upload limit, whereas iDisk is a 1gb file limit even though for me it always caps out around 500mb.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I deal with multi-100MB video files (eg. 100MB to 1.5GB) and not one of these "cloud" storage has ever worked at a fast enough speed.

Nor will for the foreseeable future, as our internet connections are just no where near upto the job. I'm on 100Mbit (down)/10Mbit (up), best domestic speed in the UK, and these cloud services for file storage (and more especially backup) are just a waste of time.

I'd suggest we need to wait until at least 1Gbit *syncronous* (ie. BOTH ways), rather than asynchronous as they are now, are available for mass background online cloud backups to be a reality. In the UK, circa 2016-17, at a guess.

Even software like Transmit does sweet FA if truth be told!

Bugger :-(

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I deal with multi-100MB video files (eg. 100MB to 1.5GB) and not one of these "cloud" storage has ever worked at a fast enough speed.

Nor will for the foreseeable future, as our internet connections are just no where near upto the job. I'm on 100Mbit (down)/10Mbit (up), best domestic speed in the UK, and these cloud services for file storage (and more especially backup) are just a waste of time.

I'd suggest we need to wait until at least 1Gbit *syncronous* (ie. BOTH ways), rather than asynchronous as they are now, are available for mass background online cloud backups to be a reality. In the UK, circa 2016-17, at a guess.

Even software like Transmit does sweet FA if truth be told!

Bugger :-(

Agreed. I'd love to push about 10 or 15 gigs of data to the cloud for back up storage, but I cannot even think about how long that would take in one shot. Instead I have started sending smaller amounts each day, about a gig a day and it takes forever with my local POS ISP upload speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.