PDA

View Full Version : G5 Tower + DLNA?

bryantsiphone
Apr 12, 2011, 03:16 PM
I have my old power mac G5 tower which is currently just being used to run all my external HDD, and i wanted to use it as a media server for my ps3,
i tried ps3 media server but fails due to no java, and i want something that can handel mkv files, any ideas?
and its a Dual 2.0 Processor 4.5 Gb of Ram
Thanks,
Bryant

MacForScience
Apr 13, 2011, 03:22 AM
I have my old power mac G5 tower which is currently just being used to run all my external HDD, and i wanted to use it as a media server for my ps3,
i tried ps3 media server but fails due to no java, and i want something that can handel mkv files, any ideas?
and its a Dual 2.0 Processor 4.5 Gb of Ram
Thanks,
Bryant

Why? Why? and Why?
Just use the PS3 for your media server its faster wider range of support etc.

Check out this link:
http://www.applesource.com.au/how-to/soa/How-to-Stream-media-to-a-PS3-from-a-Mac/0,2000451082,339287550,00.htm

Why does everyone think its cool to have a server?

Cheers

itickings
Apr 13, 2011, 07:55 AM
Why? Why? and Why?
Just use the PS3 for your media server its faster wider range of support etc.

Check out this link:
http://www.applesource.com.au/how-to/soa/How-to-Stream-media-to-a-PS3-from-a-Mac/0,2000451082,339287550,00.htm

Why does everyone think its cool to have a server?

You sound a bit confused. First you want the PS3 to be the server, then you supply a link that deals with making a Mac a media server, then you claim that there is no point in having a server... :confused:

If you want to view media (that is stored on a Mac) on a PS3, the Mac is the media server, not the PS3. And that sounds exactly like what the OP wanted.

Nameci
Apr 13, 2011, 08:07 AM
"Why does everyone thinks it is cool to have a server?"

Well maybe, they want to use and consume their media in a lot of devices without having to store it on that device.

We don't need a mac pro to have a media server am i right. Since I think the OP has an old G5 lying around would not it the most logical think to do?

bryantsiphone
Apr 13, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not trying to make a server,
The G5 houses 2 250GB Drives,
With 3 External HDD hooked up to it,
i just didnt want my new imac running 24-7 if the G5 is still alive,
I just want to stream media from my G5 to my ps3.
Thanks.