Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samelson03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
My Birthday is coming up and i'm going to ask for a 32GB iPod Touch. Is it worth getting right now or should I wait until Apple releases a new one?

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
I am also in the same situation...
I am waiting to purchase the 5g version for a few reasons( most likely to least likely)

Better Camera (3MP)?
16GB base model??
A5 Processor with 512 RAM???
Aluminium Back ????
IPS Screen?????
Capable of GPS??????

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My Birthday is coming up and i'm going to ask for a 32GB iPod Touch. Is it worth getting right now or should I wait until Apple releases a new one?
Keep in mind that if you wait until September for the new models, you should wait another month or so for the bugs to get worked out of the hardware. Just look back at this forum with the 4th gen touch was released... there were complaints about the build quality.

Then ask yourself if you can you go 5-7 months without an iPod Touch. It is Springtime in the northern hemisphere and Summer soon after that. It's a perfect time for music, taking photos, and reading. The current gen iPod Touch makes a nice companion.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
It is definitely worth getting now. And we aren't sure if the next iPod touch is even coming out in September seeing as iPhone 5 production is most likely delayed...

Applemaniac3

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Wait!

I would just wait because Apple always seems to come out with something cooler that the previous model. It always happens to me, I buy one for Christmas and next thing I know a new ones coming out with better features...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am also in the same situation...
I am waiting to purchase the 5g version for a few reasons( most likely to least likely)

Better Camera (3MP)?
16GB base model??
A5 Processor with 512 RAM???
Aluminium Back ????
IPS Screen?????
Capable of GPS??????

My Guess:

Better Camera (3MP)- Hopefully... but doubtful
16GB base model - Probably not
A5 Processor with 512 RAM - A5 yes, 512mb RAM no
Aluminium Back - No
IPS Screen - No
Capable of GPS - No

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
iPhone is rumored to be delayed until September-October so who knows. Maybe iPod touch will get delayed as well

iKoopa

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
The Bronx, New York
Just get it now. The only thing they will probably upgrade is the battery capacity, and processor speed.

Better camera? Most likely not.

It's most likely always going to be 8, 32, and 64 for iPod Touch here on out.

512 Megabytes of RAM... This is a POSSIBILITY. We don't know if iOS 5 is getting a revamp that would need more than a minimum of 256 megabytes of RAM, so it's really a coin toss.

Aluminum? Probably not looking at how they've had almost the exact same back since the 1st generation.

IPS? No.

GPS? What's the point of a GPS when you need a solid and steady connection (cellular connection), wifi isn't going to cut it.

The reason why most of the features you want will probably be omitted is because Apple has to cut corners SOMEWHERE. If it gets all of those features, it will essentially be an iPhone without the phone, which will effect sales of their flagship product. The iPod Touch is supposed to be "training wheels for the iPhone." It certainly was my training wheel because I owned the iPod Touch first, then got the iPhone.

If you want the iPod Touch to have all of those features, be prepared to pay a chunkload more.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
My Guess:

Better Camera (3MP)- Hopefully... but doubtful
16GB base model - Probably not
A5 Processor with 512 RAM - A5 yes, 512mb RAM no
Aluminium Back - No
IPS Screen - No
Capable of GPS - No

Camera will definitely be improved, they purposely left that out to draw interest for the 5th gen.

As for the others i agree with you to some extent.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Well, I think the next generation is coming in September, just wait with patience.

EugenexYew

macrumors regular
Buy now.
Why?
1) iPhone 5 is probably gonna be released this Sept instead of a refreshed iPod line, so it probably gets pushed back as well
2) It's substantial enough/It's pretty damned good :cool:
3) It's never wrong to get an :apple: product ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.