Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Just wondering how good/poor the built in mic is on the ipod touch? I'd like to be able to use it for personal dictation, as well as for recording meetings in a small office, by having it either on a desk or in my shirt pocket. Don't know how sensitive it is.

Or would I be better off getting a dedicated voice recorder (only in terms of the built in, and not external, mic)?

Does anyone have experience with both?

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
I've used my ipod touch 4g for recording voice and the built-in speaker isn't bad. However, if you want hi quality voice, you're probably gonna want to use an exteral mic. Best thing would be is to test it on a 4g and see what you think.

the5count

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Built-in Mic good for Voice

I've used the internal mic for recording voice and the quality is just fine as long as you're not recording a vocal track demo for submission to a TV show. When I use it to record a Mountain Dulcimer jam, I changed the settings to 44,100/16bit recording and recorded an hour-long session with good results. It is NOT professional recording quality but is fine for going back and remembering what was played/said about a song. The sensitivity of the built-in mic should be set about 50 percent, as it is REALLY sensitive and will distort!

To my knowledge, there is NO 30-pin external mic available for my iPod Touch 4g 32gig device. Every time I see one advertised, I read the fine print and discover that it will not work on a 4g Touch.

Please inform me that I am wrong about this so I can go out and buy a 30-pin external Mic- I'll do it in a heartbeat.

Richard

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
As long as there isn't something going on that could distort the sound such as loud speakers and in general what you are trying to record is the loudest thing, or the only thing making noise it works much better than you would think.

outaspaceman

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Bognor Regis U.K.
I've varying results recording with my 4g touch.
I've use the 8mm movie app to record artists at our folk club and, at first, the audio was pretty good really but recently I've had difficulty in getting any kind of decent audio level.
I did wonder if I'd got a bit of 'fluff' in the mic aperture but it seems not.
The audio is also pretty poor on the camera app that comes installed with the iPod.
I've tried the Retro Recorder app and was pleasantly surprised by the audio quality on that.
I'd really like to be able to plug my condenser mic or, for ease of use, my PZM mic in but, until a satisfactory adaptor turns up, I guess I'll just have to wait.

OSM

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
The built in microphone on the iPod Touch 4G is actually not bad at all unless you scream in it, haha. But yeah, the speaker is pretty much useless.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
It is should be adequate for what you have stated. As a pianist, I never use it to record my playing unless if I want to hear everything without the details. Not good enough for me.

the5count

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Speaker is that bad? So how do you use it for video conferencing?

The built-in speaker quality is poor, but what do you expect with speakers so small? However, the quality is certainly good enough to understand speech. When I plug the sound port output into my Alesis 2 track mixer and adjust the EQ on the mixer, then output the sound to my stereo Yamaha powered monitor speakers, the audio quality is outstanding. I play back my mp3 files through this system and am amazed at the audio quality. Of course, you can record and store your files as wav files to bump up the quality, but it chews up way too much storage, even on my 32gig 4g Touch. All in all, the voice record quality is "good enough" for audio notes and conversations.

Richard

outaspaceman

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Bognor Regis U.K.
Since I posted in this thread I decided that the audio recording had become so bad, if not non-existant, that something must be wrong.
On inspection with a magnifying glass I find the mic aperture, despite what I wrote, is in fact full of, for want of a better description, fluff:eek:
Having removed the 'fluff' I'd say the iPod Touch is pretty good for personal dictation and recording small office meetings.

Who'd have thought it eh?

O.S.M. B:53

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I won't be recording music with it, just dictation and meetings (and class lectures). After doing some more research, it seems a dedicated voice recorder might offer better sound and hardware/software abilities. However, the ipod might still just be "good enough".

Before my final decision then, I need to find out if it's possible on the ipod to have voice activated recording, and pause during recording. Does anyone know of any really good iOS voice recording apps that have these features?

[Outaspaceman, thanks for the warning about accumulated fluff in the mic].

outaspaceman

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Bognor Regis U.K.
Just to put the 'tin hat' on it...
here's a link to a piece I recorded last night, using the 8mm movie app, which demonstrates the audio ability of the G4 touch (young people look away now):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRCpcdtE9yk
Bearing in mind that I was at the other end of the room I'd say the quality is pretty good.

O.S.M. B:53
(You always take your guitar to meetings don't you?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.