PDA

View Full Version : 12" ibook g4 screen problems

slidingjon
Mar 3, 2005, 02:13 PM
I have a 12" 800Mhz ibook G4. I bought it just over a year ago. Recently the screen will just turn off. The computer is still on, but the screen turns black. I have tried to wake it up - as if it were asleep, but that doesn't work. I am running OS 10.3.8 and have all the most recent security updates and everything. Any help would be wonderful! Thank you.

dobbin
Mar 3, 2005, 02:40 PM
This probably isn't the problem, but its worth checking the brightness to make sure it hasn't just adjusted itself to 0% brightness. Press F2 to turn up the brightness.

zimv20
Mar 3, 2005, 02:40 PM
has the screen gone off entirely, or has just the backlight gone out? check the screen carefully to see if your desktop is still being displayed.

slidingjon
Mar 3, 2005, 03:19 PM
I have checked the brightness and the display. It is neither of those.
Also, I was a little off in my first post. Twice the computer actually DID turn itself off. The power button was not touched.
Also, sometimes the computer will not wake up from sleep mode. Do you think that these things are related? It there a bad connection with the monitor? I know that some laptops have had a problem with the screen connection in the hindge. I haven't heard of that as a problem with ibooks though.

dobbin
Mar 3, 2005, 03:28 PM
Have you checked the the Apple Logic Board (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) replacement thing. I think your iBook is too new, but maybe it is affected by that widespread problem. My brothers died after he had had it for several months.

zimv20
Mar 3, 2005, 04:23 PM
my ibook is a g3/800. i got the m'board replaced under apple's program.

issue #1:
it had a sleep issue. it wouldn't go to sleep when the lid was closed, so i'd sleep it from the menu. when i opened the lid, it wouldn't automatically wake from sleep. called applecare, they said it was not related to the motherboard.

issue #2:
later, it developed an issue where, once i opened the screen past ~40 degrees, the backlighting would turn off. note that the desktop was still displayed, it was just very difficult to see. called applecare again, they said this was the motherboard issue

i sent the ibook in. apple replaced the motherboard. both issues were resovled.