PDA

View Full Version : Driver for mac?

fuzzai
Mar 3, 2005, 03:09 PM
Is there any drivers out anywere, for that 20" Dell flatscreen LCD monitor?

Why would i want drivers when it will work with the mac?

With that 20" screen. you can tilt it horizontaly, so that you have a LONG screen...

this is done with the windows driver..

So is there anyway to do this on a mac? driver or software? or SOL?

thanks

Rod Rod
Mar 3, 2005, 03:18 PM
Is there any drivers out anywere, for that 20" Dell flatscreen LCD monitor?

Why would i want drivers when it will work with the mac?

With that 20" screen. you can tilt it horizontaly, so that you have a LONG screen...

this is done with the windows driver..

So is there anyway to do this on a mac? driver or software? or SOL?

thanks

As far as I know, it's only possible with retail ATI video cards in desktop Macs, with the help of some software available from ati.com.

fuzzai
Mar 3, 2005, 03:25 PM
What if i had a mac mini? the 1.4ghz?

Rod Rod
Mar 3, 2005, 03:37 PM
What if i had a mac mini? the 1.4ghz?

I guess I should have been more clear.. you can switch video cards in Power Macs but not iMacs, eMacs or Mac minis. So, an ATI retail video card (non-OEM) can only be installed in a Mac where its original video card is removeable. Of course it's possible to switch one OEM card for another OEM card, as I did when I replaced my FX5200 for a 9600XT. However, since my 9600XT is still an OEM card I can't do "portrait" mode. The only hope is if I got a retail ATI card (such as the 9000, 9200, 9800 or x800).

fuzzai
Mar 3, 2005, 03:55 PM
oh that sucks then.

Thanks for clearing that thoe

think there be anythign comming out thoe?

Abulia
Mar 3, 2005, 04:24 PM
My ATI control panel for my x800 allows me to rotate the picture for my Dell 2005FPW monitor. Thus, it's a function of your video card, not a "monitor driver."

fuzzai
Mar 3, 2005, 04:56 PM
Ok. well hopefully with the mac mini you can or will be able to sooner or later.

Thanks for the input guys!

mkrishnan
Mar 3, 2005, 05:01 PM
There was a thread an article that Macbytes covered about a month ago where someone hacked a Mac with an Apple display to do this. EDIT: Here is the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111008&highlight=portrait

But it does require a different video card...

Rod Rod
Mar 3, 2005, 05:05 PM
My ATI control panel for my x800 allows me to rotate the picture for my Dell 2005FPW monitor. Thus, it's a function of your video card, not a "monitor driver."
It's both. ATI wrote that monitor driver.

Thanks for the input guys!
You're welcome!

There was a thread an article that Macbytes covered about a month ago where someone hacked a Mac with an Apple display to do this. Lemme see if I can find it. I don't remember it mentioning the use of either ATI's software or a replacement video card.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it.