Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
My wife's Macbook is criminally slow and I'm gonna remove some unused programs but I don't know how to do that. Is there no add/remove applications option like the one in Windows?

The MB is so super slow that it's taking quite a while just to open folders so I don't really have the time nor patience to search myself. Thought it would be best to ask you guys.

Please help! Also advices on how to speed up a Mac without hardware installation are most welcome!

Thanks

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Go to your applications folder and drag the program(s) to the trash. Empty trash and done.

You can try repair disk permissions in disk utility too. If that all doesn't help, put in the osx DVD and reinstall the os.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
It's highly unlikely that "unused programs" are what's slowing your system down. What's far more likely is a bad hard drive. We're not talking about Windows here--you're not likely to have a bunch of rogue processes running in the background chewing up all of your processor time.

Open up Console.app and look through the logs. If you're running 10.5 or older, check /var/log/system.log. On 10.6, check /var/log/kernel.log. Look for something like this:

disk0s2: I/O error

That would be indicative of a failing hard drive.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

I can't find anything like that in the log.

I think it's just getting sloppy due to it's age. It's an old 2GHz intel core 2 duo with a 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 and the hard drive was getting close to full. I deleted close to 4 GB of apps, gonna put the pictures somewhere safe and ease the load a little more too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.