Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

when will ibook get g4 and superdrive?

• six months after tibook gets superdrive

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • one year after tibook gets superdrive

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • after tibook goes g5 and has superdrive

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • never, g4 and/or superdrive is too much for the ibook

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
when do you think ibook will get G4 AND superdrive?

will we have to wait until tibook is a superdrive sporting g5 machine?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Why no option for "simultaneously". Personally, I think that the iBook will get a G4 and the Superdrive on the same day that the PowerBook (not necessarily the TiBook) gets it. By then, the PowerBook will probably be running at 1ghz with the DDR bus @166mhz. The iBook will get a 800mhz G4 on a 133mhz SDR bus.

SAME DAY! You heard it here first.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I'm afraid that the cost of the iBook would go way up if they had the G4 and a superdrive. Once they put the superdrive in the powerbook, and possibly add the G5, they will upgrade the iBook to a G4. I don't think we will see the superdrive option on the iBook for quite some time.

Personally, I think apple should upgrade all of their models to G4's. Phasing out the G3 would probably greatly boost sales. It would also signal that the G5 is possibly coming.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by ftaok
Why no option for "simultaneously". Personally, I think that the iBook will get a G4 and the Superdrive on the same day that the PowerBook (not necessarily the TiBook) gets it. By then, the PowerBook will probably be running at 1ghz with the DDR bus @166mhz. The iBook will get a 800mhz G4 on a 133mhz SDR bus.

If you want a G4 and a Superdrive, you have to bone up and buy a TiBook (assuming they do get a superdrive).

iBooks are cheaper for a reason.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i would like to see an ibook with a superdrive released around the same time as with the powerbook, but that just wont happen, either will G4 for ibook any time soon, if the ibook had a g4 n was like an entry level portable, it could be as cheap as about $1200 with combo drive and such..

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by e-coli
If you want a G4 and a Superdrive, you have to bone up and buy a TiBook (assuming they do get a superdrive).

iBooks are cheaper for a reason.
iBook's are cheaper because the components used in it are cheaper. That and the fact that Apple accepts lower profit margins on it.

Right now, SuperDrives are expensive. In 3 months time, they'll be reasonable. In 6 months, they'll be affordable. In a year, they'll be dirt cheap.

The iBook will eventually get a G4 AND a SuperDrive. It's a certainty. The only way that the iBook won't get these is if they discontinue it.

Technology waits for no one. Even with low-end consumer stuff.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by ftaok

actually, i can see that

ibook got the combo drive slightly before the tibook did...kind of funny but it happened that way

also, ibook was the first mac ever to get agp graphics and universal motherboard architecture and airport

...but i realize the ibook is still a consumer product and the tibook is the professional apple laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.