Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I'm looking in particular for a back cover that won't intrude on the Smart Cover's magnet bar, and will provide (some) padding and grip.

Otherwise, anything that you guys find works well with the Smart Cover is welcome, too.

Last edited:

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky

I know I'm being picky here, but I prefer a case that still shows the Apple logo on the back. And I'm not looking to spend nearly $100 ha.

Another desire would be a case that could prop the iPad up to portrait mode when in use, ideal for games of Scrabble or when on Facetime.

seandavid010

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2006
The Genius Case from Eneki might be what you're looking for. It's a hard plastic case (that's clear) that facilitates the use of Apple's smart covers. Says it starts shipping the 2nd of May. I snapped some pics from their website:

Screenshot2011-04-15at120640PM.png

Screenshot2011-04-15at120736PM.png

It looks pretty nice, plus it's only $29. Not really my thing (I have an Octavo on order) but it might work for you.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I was really hoping for something more padded.

That Octavo case looks like something I'd like, except not an entire case ha. Take the back of Octavo case and make it a Smart Cover-compatible back, and that's what I'm looking for.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Instead of the hard plastic shown above, this one is the soft, still transparent, version that offers some padding. It's cheap too, $14.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Clear-Smart-Cove...716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5c0162c4

Thanks, just purchased! I figure even if it doesn't quite serve all the purposes I'm looking for, it's only $14. I can't imagine it being too awful though. I liked the black and was going to buy both but the black was a Bid Only product?? How strange for a company like that to offer a product bid only. I know it's eBay but generally companies don't sell products for bids. Seemed odd to me.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
To me the smartcover is all about keeping the profile slim while giving me some protection and, more importantly, kick stands. I went with a random transparent adhesive film on ebay and love it. It gives me the extra grip and protection without much added thickness. You do have to be comfortable with the installation though.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
To me the smartcover is all about keeping the profile slim while giving me some protection and, more importantly, kick stands. I went with a random transparent adhesive film on ebay and love it. It gives me the extra grip and protection without much added thickness. You do have to be comfortable with the installation though.

can u show me the ebay's link for some cheap transparent back film cover? i dont want to pay for ZAGG because it's so expensive for a thin plastic.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
The only problem I'm having with my black ebay tpu case is that it appears to be rubbing off the screen protector from the edge opposite of the smart cover.

May just use sans case (ghost armor already on front and back) and carry it around in my little leather $20 tote from best buy.

Know it's a little fussy and OCDish (then again, I am a mac user), but it diminishes my enjoyment of the case.

May also try to trim a little bit of that edge off of the case to see if that alleviates the problem, figure the top and side lips may be enough to hold it in place.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
After using my clear back cover that I purchased, I'd have to say my only complaint is that it isn't the tightest cover. It's no where near as snug as the Apple bumper, but it's also not flimsy and coming off on it's own. Really, the looseness primarily exists where the cover slights covers the bezel, but it's not a problem in any way, shape or form.

Holes are big enough for all of the plugs, switches, and camera. Doesn't intrude. Feels fine when holding it. Build quality is more reminiscent of a $7-$11 cover, not the $14 I paid for it, but I don't regret it at all. Serves it's purpose quite fine.

Now if anyone knows, I would like to find a thicker portfolio-type case for the iPad 2, primarily one that has folders or pockets for books and a place for a stylus pen. And would allow for the SmartCover and the back cover to fit.

This would be for transporting it to school and back rather than taking my entire backpack with me for two books and a one-inch thick device.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I have black leather smart cover.

This matching and compatible black leather rear skin should arrive today. Pretty excited, hoping it turns out well. Amazon had it for $27 the other day.
http://www.zagg.com/leatherskins/ipad2.php#smart-black

Here's an alternative. It's a polycarbonate back cover. (Good protection) covered in a thin layer of leather. Sells for $20 in black, gray, pink, or blue on Amazon. It is difficult (at best) to install the first time but once in place, it is a very good (and good looking) case. Obviously thicker than a "skin" but offering far better protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Genuin...O228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314370299&sr=8-1

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I'm looking in particular for a back cover that won't intrude on the Smart Cover's magnet bar, and will provide (some) padding and grip.

Otherwise, anything that you guys find works well with the Smart Cover is welcome, too.

Look at this case. It has the smart cover and the thin back that has a rubberized feel and snaps onto the iPad. I love it and for $19.99 I couldn't see spending $40 bucks on a smart cover and then buying another case for the back.

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-DUAL-CASE-Polyurethane-Poly-carbonate/dp/B005CI7V1Q

LTMK

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
Zum sc ultimate

Hi, I just got this from Amazon. The case is so slim and it has a Smart Cover Lock that can secure the smart cover with the ipad 2 body. I almost crashed my ipad 2 few weeks ago in the office. My colleague was using this with smart cover and it looks good. he got it from local apple store, but they were selling for $40 a piece :eek:

I found it on amazon and its only $29.90

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&node=172282&field-brandtextbin=ZUM

The case is very tough and really well designed. I think its the best back cover for smart cover users

hope it helps!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.