Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macrookie86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Today i went to download a new show and it tells me that i have to delete files and empty trash to make room and i was wondering what is the best way to keep movies and tv shows in storage without haveing them on the computer?
Thanks

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK
Today i went to download a new show and it tells me that i have to delete files and empty trash to make room and i was wondering what is the best way to keep movies and tv shows in storage without haveing them on the computer?
Thanks

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV that iTunes can see as a server.

I store my movies on that.

HTH

- D

Macrookie86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the info do you plug the external hard drive into your computer or into the back of you apple tv box I have the first apple tv?
Thanks

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
I have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS that has two 2TB drives. One is used as a media volume, the other is a backup that updates every night. I also have an offsite backup (using a cloud service).

The iTunes database and data sits on that drive. iTunes needs to be running on one of the Macs for AppleTV to see it (using home sharing)

The NAS box has been through 2 sets of hard drive upgrades so far -- originally it had 500GB drives, then 1TB, now 2TB (with just under 1TB free space, so should be OK for a while).

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks for the info do you plug the external hard drive into your computer or into the back of you apple tv box I have the first apple tv?
Thanks

Unless your ATV is jailbroken (mine aren't), you attach the external drive to your Mac/PC and store some or all of your iTunes library on it. Then your ATV just pulls content from iTunes as normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.