PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy Apple iPad Invisible Shield by Zagg

elputas
Apr 13, 2011, 03:55 PM
Do not buy Apple iPad Invisible Shield by Zagg. I bought at Best Buy and was told that "the store expert" would install for me to my full satisfaction for $15.00. I had already paid, taxes included, $37.44 for a piece of plastic film but given the reviews I though it may indeed give me a better, non-glare picture. This is what I got:

1. It took me well over one hour to prepare a totally dust-free are, clean the ipad screen meticulously, clean my hands to perfection with soap and water and alcohol.
2. Peeled off the film, wet it on both sides with the provided solution, position the film perfectly over the area.
3. Squeegeed out the liquid and air bobbles to perfection and clean and put away supplies.
Total about 1 1/2 hours.
Twenty hours later, all excited, took out the ipad, cleaned the new skin, turned on and ... oh boy1 what a turkey!
In stead of the beautiful, very sharp screen I have indeed a fairly glare free, scratch-resistant surface that was EXTREMELY GRAINY AND UNPLEASANT TO LOOK AT. I asked my mate to compare it with her iPad 1 screen and she agreed. She said it was very unpleasant to read with, grainy and far less sharp that the native iPad shinny screen.
If you buy this less than desirable film you may pay a lot of money for something that maybe costs a few cents to manufacture, go through a lot of work to properly put it on and wait for it to cure and end up with a really crummy-looking and optically grainy and unsharp screen.
This was my experience. I think that either someone is getting paid to give or present overblown evaluations of this product or something is wrong with my eyes as well as those of my mate.
Just trying to save you the expense and aggravation I went through. I wish I could get my money back but few companies are responsive to fully dissatisfied customers. Good luck guys.

Built
Apr 13, 2011, 04:58 PM
Do not buy Apple iPad Invisible Shield by Zagg. I bought at Best Buy and was told that "the store expert" would install for me to my full satisfaction for $15.00. I had already paid, taxes included, $37.44 for a piece of plastic film but given the reviews I though it may indeed give me a better, non-glare picture. This is what I got:

1. It took me well over one hour to prepare a totally dust-free are, clean the ipad screen meticulously, clean my hands to perfection with soap and water and alcohol.
2. Peeled off the film, wet it on both sides with the provided solution, position the film perfectly over the area.
3. Squeegeed out the liquid and air bobbles to perfection and clean and put away supplies.
Total about 1 1/2 hours.
Twenty hours later, all excited, took out the ipad, cleaned the new skin, turned on and ... oh boy1 what a turkey!
In stead of the beautiful, very sharp screen I have indeed a fairly glare free, scratch-resistant surface that was EXTREMELY GRAINY AND UNPLEASANT TO LOOK AT. I asked my mate to compare it with her iPad 1 screen and she agreed. She said it was very unpleasant to read with, grainy and far less sharp that the native iPad shinny screen.
If you buy this less than desirable film you may pay a lot of money for something that maybe costs a few cents to manufacture, go through a lot of work to properly put it on and wait for it to cure and end up with a really crummy-looking and optically grainy and unsharp screen.
This was my experience. I think that either someone is getting paid to give or present overblown evaluations of this product or something is wrong with my eyes as well as those of my mate.
Just trying to save you the expense and aggravation I went through. I wish I could get my money back but few companies are responsive to fully dissatisfied customers. Good luck guys.

Already discussed on this forum many times over. Search is your friend.

Kupp
Apr 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
Funny, I just got my iPad today, and the first thing I did was wait for best buy to open, buy one, and pay someone else to put it on for me, and I am not noticing the screen appearing grainy at all. If you are referring to the difference in feel on the fingertip, when using the touch pad, it either goes away or you get used to it after a few days. At least that is how it seems on my phone 4.

Heck banged my iPhone scree. On a sharp metal table edge a few days back. It put an air bubble in the center of the screen protector, that since then has worked itself out, so I personally think these things are great.

Alaerian
Apr 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
Have a Zagg on my iPad. Love it. Perfectly happy. Wouldn't change to another one.

To each his own.

kvizzel
Apr 13, 2011, 07:15 PM
Did you let it cure for about 24-48 hours before use?

If not, there is your problem.

iCHiRS
Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 PM
I have the Zagg full body shield on my iPad 2. The "graininess" only lasted for about a day or two. Now that it's all settled in, it's gone.

Antfer
Apr 14, 2011, 01:03 AM
Give it a day or two.
It will clear up.

benhollberg
Apr 14, 2011, 01:06 AM
I have had Invisible Shield on almost all electronics I have bought since the shield was released, even before they were Zagg. I have never had a problem and never complaints. Both iPad models I have had look great and no scratches. Also I have seen multiple threads about this.

drenline
Apr 14, 2011, 01:29 AM
TS said it took him 1 and 1/2 hours to install the shield, is that number off? It only takes me about 5-10 minutes tops and it looks flawless.

kwajkat
Apr 14, 2011, 11:51 AM
I found my Zagg to be very grainy as well. Then discovered that it was the smudge proof version and not the regular one that I normally get. It also only takes me 5-10 minutes to install as well. I do like Zaggs but am very disappointed in the smudge proof version. Sure will not get it again.

Good.Shepherd
Apr 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have a zagg store here. It takes them 30 seconds to install. It looks great, and it is one hell of a tough product. It does add a little "orange peel" texture, but for the durability you get I think it's more than worth it.

And for the life of the product, I can go in and pay them $5 to install a new one. If it gets scratched, peeled up by someone else.... anything. I have a new one put on my phone and ipad about once every other month, just to keep it fresh (though it's not always needed). Amazing skin. However, there are many on the market that have different views, textures, and etc. Plenty of choice to find one you like.

That said, Zagg is a VERY high quality product in terms of durability and protection. You do have to let it cure, and it's best to have it installed by a someone who does it a lot and knows how to work with it and make it perfect.

Putting 1.5 hours into install is insane. Do you have horse hooves for hands?

jdminpdx
Apr 14, 2011, 01:22 PM
I got my Zagg yesterday for my iPad 2 from the mall. They have a Zagg cart and I had them install it. They did a fantastic job.

benhollberg
Apr 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
I have always had them install it for me. I go to their retail store in Salt Lake City, they sometimes just give me a free one because I buy shields for most of my electronics.

Knowimagination
Apr 14, 2011, 09:31 PM
Pretty sure the op is talking about the anti glare zagg. The best buy near me just got them in and I saw one and was not impressed. If all the anti glare protectors looked that bad no one would ever go with one.

matt550
Apr 14, 2011, 09:44 PM
I just got the front and back installed, looks and feels awesome.

Cheetablaze
Apr 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
I was hesitant about installing mine but I was done with everything in about 15 minutes. Let it set a day and noticed some water bubbles in it, I worked them out easily and I let it set for another 2 days just to be sure. Every one of my previous electronic devices have a zagg shield on it. I love the way the screen feels also.

Built
Apr 14, 2011, 10:43 PM
I just got the front and back installed, looks and feels awesome.

Just wait...

matt550
Apr 15, 2011, 05:25 AM
Just wait...

Had them on my iPhones before, never a problem.

benhollberg
Apr 15, 2011, 07:30 AM
Had them on my iPhones before, never a problem.

Same, they are the best accessory available.