Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I asked a similar question in the Macbook Air forum, but realize this might be a more appropriate place.

I received an Epson 8350 Full HD projector today and am trying to use it with my Macbook Air through its Mini Display Port output. At this point I'm using a MDP to VGA cable, and have ordered a MDP to HDMI cable.

I'm encountering three problems and wonder if they may be due to the MDP->VGA connection. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts:

1) The desktop is shifted with respect to the projection, such that there is a black band on the left side of the projected image and a narrow band on the right side of the desktop is cut off. The image extends to just before the "PM" in the clock display in the menu bar.

2) Every once in a while the image becomes blurry such that straight lines (e.g. the sides of a window) become jagged lines. It does that for about a second before it returns back to normal.

3) When I say "normal", I should specify that I think the image quality is not very good.

I imagine that 3) will be remedied by moving to a MDP->HDMI adapter, however could 1) and 2) have anything to do with it?

Steven in VA

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
same difficulty

I was using my MBA with VGA projector and had the very same problems. The poor picture quality was particularly disappointing. I did manage to get the whole screen on display with "mirror display" in system preferences.

Several ordinary Dell laptops (don't know model--who cares?) projected very well through the same projector. I was using the Apple adaptor.
Any advice?

Thanks for you help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.