Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Debating cases

I am debating which case to buy for my iPad 2. I like the looks and functionality of portenzo, treegloo, grove (and love Vaja but $$$). I like the way Grove has improved on the smart cover (uses leather side instead of liner side to hold case up so liner stays clean; wraps attachment area so as not to scratch ipad). But on Grove fb site, I saw a number of pictures of grove iphone cases in which the wood had split/cracked, often soon after arrival. This has me thinking that the ipad case may do the same.

holyindian

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Recieved an email from them today, they are opening their online stores from 18th this month, where everyone who had pre-ordered the case can customize their designs and they will start shipping on may 2nd, i am waiting for these cases desperately, they are truly unique in their own class. A true work of art.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Recieved an email from them today, they are opening their online stores from 18th this month, where everyone who had pre-ordered the case can customize their designs and they will start shipping on may 2nd, i am waiting for these cases desperately, they are truly unique in their own class. A true work of art.

Got my email two days ago. Look forward to ordering with a custom cover tomorrow. Also happy they are honoring the early pre-orders at the 'old' price.

I really like the looks of the iPad case design, withe some reservations about the headphone port opening.

5617699678_0011482f53_b.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Available to order now for those interested. Not everyones cup-o-tea I'm sure, but to each their own.

They say the case is only .55" thick and weighs in at 7 oz.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Ordered mine a few days ago, and I'm very happy with my decision.

Tan leather cover, amber bamboo case.

I really debated going for some sort of design, but in the end I decided the plain was for me. I like the clean look.

Beautiful, elegant, and functional. I can't wait until it arrives!

Sean

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
Ordered mine a few days ago, and I'm very happy with my decision.

Tan leather cover, amber bamboo case.

I really debated going for some sort of design, but in the end I decided the plain was for me. I like the clean look.

Beautiful, elegant, and functional. I can't wait until it arrives!

Sean

I've ordered the same color combination - also without a design. We should get a better idea on May 2nd when to expect them. I think I had to be one of the first to pre-order and subsequently order so hopefully will be among the first shipments.

The mention of the number of iphone cases breaking does worry me a bit. I would think the bamboo surrounding the ipad would be thicker and hopefully more crack resistant but still... They do seem to have great customer service though and seem to be quick to send out replacements.

In any event I plan to post a review video once it arrives.

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
I should have a custom art series on order by next week...just getting the last few details squared away with Team Grove.

Loving my DODO Limited Edition but you know what they say about iPad cases...once you get one, you can't stop.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
Hands-down, Grove makes the best iPad case I've seen yet. However, are these going to ship in any reasonable amount of time. I love the idea of small companies, and things being handmade, but are we talking about weeks, months, or what? What does the site mean when they say that they are going to post shipping times on May 2nd. I want the Tree case so badly...

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Hands-down, Grove makes the best iPad case I've seen yet. However, are these going to ship in any reasonable amount of time. I love the idea of small companies, and things being handmade, but are we talking about weeks, months, or what? What does the site mean when they say that they are going to post shipping times on May 2nd. I want the Tree case so badly...

May 2 they say they will provide estimated shipping dates based on the day you ordered.

I pre-ordered mine on 3/19 so I hope I'm in the first group.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
About 8-10 weeks if you didn't preorder.

Yes, they take a long time to make!

Personally, I'm very excited to be able to get something this nice.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
You can see which group you're in and what the ship by date is by going to Grove's site at

I see I'm in the group that should expect a June delivery date. I know it's hand made and all, but three months lead time from order time to completion is a bit much.

Have to give serious consideration about cancelling this order.

Rick America

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2007
Grove iPad2 Cover without the Bamboo Case?

Quick question: I notice that Grove sells the leather cover without the bamboo case as well.

Has anyone seen or tried it just with the cover? Does it work (hinged to the side of the iPad2) like the Apple SmartCover?

I like the cover (only) but do not like how the Apple covers look and feel. This one appears great though. I'd appreciate any help/guidance you may have.

Thanks!!!

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Yes, I also pre-ordered, and mine isn't coming until end of July. They had some machine breakdowns that slowed them down. This was well-communicated, so they handled the situation very well.

Of course, by now my iPad has front and back film, and I bought a Saddleback leather sleeve to keep it around in (which is great, BTW).

So, I'm not sure I really need the grove anymore. I probably won't cancel, but there are definitely folks who will. Not out of malice, but just because in the interim they found other solutions.

Sean

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Got my email two days ago. Look forward to ordering with a custom cover tomorrow. Also happy they are honoring the early pre-orders at the 'old' price.

I really like the looks of the iPad case design, withe some reservations about the headphone port opening.

How could anyone want this case? I really mean no disrespect, but that thing looks like my 6th grader made it in wood shop. That is an atrocious design...but to each his own, I guess.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
How could anyone want this case? I really mean no disrespect, but that thing looks like my 6th grader made it in wood shop. That is an atrocious design...but to each his own, I guess.

If your 6th grader can make one of as high a quality as that, including the etched front leather cover and you can sell it from the same price or less I would gladly by one from you. No disrespect but I very much doubt that is possible. Considering how many companies offer similar cases and how many people buy them is a testament to the quality and craftsmanship of these products. I've ordered one of these my self although primarily for the leather smart cover but I am looking forward to it when I eventually get it.

Zandian

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
I received mine about a week and a half ago. Really like the unique look, pretty lightweight. But it slipped of the bottom shelf of my nightstand about 12" and broke. I'm pretty careful with my devices so this fall was a fluke, but I'm pretty disappointed that it splintered into pieces so easily. Now it's worthless. Now looking for something a little more durable for the off chance I do that again.

So basically it's a cool case but it's not all that durable.

Z

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I've decided to order one of these primarily for the leather smart cover. Since the case with the smart cover only costs $30 more and as it doesn't seem to add a lot of bulk or weight I've ordered that as opposed to just the cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.