PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Replace

Apple
Mar 3, 2005, 09:13 PM
While Im going into my ibook to upgrade the Hard drive
(actually an apple tech is)
Is there any way I can get him to put bluetooth inside it?

Macmaniac
Mar 3, 2005, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately you can't, BT is on the logic board, and its actually soldered on for those iBooks for which the BT module was selected. If you have a non BT logic board your out of luck, you will have to go with an external USB adapter.

Apple
Mar 3, 2005, 09:26 PM
thanks for the quick reply

that sucks though I thought I would never use Bluetooth when I bought my computer, and now I am dying to have it. I guess I will get the ugly-ol' usb thingy stickin out of my portable.

Macmaniac
Mar 3, 2005, 09:29 PM
thanks for the quick reply

that sucks though I thought I would never use Bluetooth when I bought my computer, and now I am dying to have it. I guess I will get the ugly-ol' usb thingy stickin out of my portable.
Its unfortunate that Apple could not have devised some way to let you install BT internal at a later date. Perhaps they could scrap the internal modem for an internal BT card that is user addable.

Sun Baked
Mar 3, 2005, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately you can't, BT is on the logic board, and its actually soldered on for those iBooks for which the BT module was selected. If you have a non BT logic board your out of luck, you will have to go with an external USB adapter.Unless they drastically changed the motherboard since the Rev A.

Most all the Bluetooth modules are little usb devices like this...

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9626

Apple just changes the shape of the device and placement of the module and antenna depending on the machine and where they find a little bit of room.

The iBook G4 requires about 4 parts and some screws to install.

People are waiting for Apple to add BT to the logic board, don't think they've done it for any machine yet.

The only reason it's a BTO feature, is that the device is usually something buried deep inside the machine.

diamond geezer
Mar 3, 2005, 09:44 PM
Yes, the Bluetooth board is a separate item on the G4 iBook (and all other Macs) and can be purchased by your friendly Mac techie.

Apple
Mar 3, 2005, 10:27 PM
So how much do you think it will cost for him to purchase everything and install it