Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHAMWOW50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
When I bout my 13 inch macbook (the first unibody one) from futureshop, I asked to buy the 3 year applecare warranty. Now, a year and a half later, I realized that the bastards sold me the futureshop generic warranty. To take advantage of it, I am working on a list of problems with my macbook, which may or may not be present all the time, in the hopes that they will just give me a new one. the list is:

- Runs hot

- Low battery life

- Simple tasks becoming slow

- Trackpad becoming unresponsive on occasion

- Power adapter is often not responsive to being plugged in

- Occasional screen flicker

I know many of these things are normal, but what do you think they will do? I know the power adapter is covered by the warranty, and they will hopefully give me some new parts. If replacing the screen, and the touchpad is too expensive, they will probably give me in-store credit. What do you guys think I should do, and what do you think they will do? Thanks for the input :)

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
When I bout my 13 inch macbook (the first unibody one) from futureshop, I asked to buy the 3 year applecare warranty. Now, a year and a half later, I realized that the bastards sold me the futureshop generic warranty. To take advantage of it, I am working on a list of problems with my macbook, which may or may not be present all the time, in the hopes that they will just give me a new one. the list is:

- Runs hot

- Low battery life

I know many of these things are normal, but what do you think they will do? I know the power adapter is covered by the warranty, and they will hopefully give me some new parts. If replacing the screen, and the touchpad is too expensive, they will probably give me in-store credit. What do you guys think I should do, and what do you think they will do? Thanks for the input :)

don't try to drag other users into your petty hoolignism. dishonesty is looked down upon here.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.

- Runs hot

- Low battery life

It's your fault. You should have checked. If the computer really has issues send it in. Else you are being dishonest has they (if true) were with you.

SHAMWOW50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
now all of those problems i listed are ligament, and I often see my screen flicker. That suggests its an on-bord problem, so wouldn't that require replacing?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
if you have nothing positive to say you need not reply

That's not the way the Internets works. You put out ridiculous stuff like this, you invite negative posts. A user name of SHAMWOW50 in all caps was a nice touch though.

That said, I don't look kindly on dishonest people. I look down more on those who can't take responsibility for their actions.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
- Runs hot Normal

- Low battery life Depends on what you're running and your configuration.

- Simple tasks becoming slow Again, depends on your configuration and what's running.

- Trackpad becoming unresponsive on occasion Could be anything, including system being busy with other tasks

- Power adapter is often not responsive to being plugged in Need more specifics, but could need a simple SMC reset.

- Occasional screen flicker Could be anything, including software. Doesn't necessarily mean hardware issues.
If you really want help in diagnosing and fixing these issues, that's one thing we're happy to help you with. If, however, your intent is to attempt to defraud someone, you're on your own. If it's the latter, I would be too ashamed to post such a suggestion in a public forum, displaying my lack of moral and ethical standards. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

None of them are legitimate issues. You said so in your first post

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
From what I read, you said you asked for applecare and they sold you their own warranty instead.

1st thing I would do is to find out why you did not get what you asked for.

That aside, if the issues are legit, file a claim and let them do what they can verify and cover by their warranty.

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
I emailed the link to this to future shop customer service so they can help you out. They sent me an email back and said their Loss Prevention team now has the case. With the title of "Can I trick futureshop" I think that your intentions are very hard to misinterpret.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I emailed the link to this to future shop customer service so they can help you out. They sent me an email back and said their Loss Prevention team now has the case. With the title of "Can I trick futureshop" I think that your intentions are very hard to misinterpret.

That's hilarious, post the email or it didn't happen! This person hasn't given their name or any personal info for that matter other than "shamwow50". Not sure why futureshop's "loss prevention team" would even care about the OP's laptop problems; either these warranty issues exist or they don't, plain and simple. I do think the OP used the wrong choice of words in his title.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
ha ha haaaa ..... o'boy you gotta watch those Chammy Salesman :D

Future Shop never claimed to sell "Apple Care" ... the do pitch their own Future Shop warranty heavily ... saying it's better than AppleCare, (lol).

Are you the Shamwow guy from the TV? Or one of the dude we see at exhibitions selling 40 cents of material for $20 :eek:

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
That's hilarious, post the email or it didn't happen! This person hasn't given their name or any personal info for that matter other than "shamwow50". Not sure why futureshop's "loss prevention team" would even care about the OP's laptop problems; either these warranty issues exist or they don't, plain and simple. I do think the OP used the wrong choice of words in his title.

LOL i just had to throw it in there to be ridiculous I would not waste my time sending any info to a company. Now for future your IP address is stamped all over everything you do online so keep that in mind when thinking about how little information the OP gave.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
LOL i just had to throw it in there to be ridiculous I would not waste my time sending any info to a company. Now for future your IP address is stamped all over everything you do online so keep that in mind when thinking about how little information the OP gave.

Yes, I liked your post, it was funny. Actually, the OP could have set up a new disposable email address and hooked onto free wireless and he's still home free; would he/she have done this, who knows (most likely not). This did give the OP something to think about.

SHAMWOW50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

thanks for the advice on ip addresses. i was unaware how its linked to everything you do. and secondly everyone I hope I gave you all a good laugh today.p I guess this whole post was a big joke wasent it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.