Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I returned my black leather iPad2 smartcover this morning. As cool as it was, it just didn't fit into the way I use my Ipad2...

Like my iPad 1, I have a PowerSupport screen saver on the screen and an iCarbon skin on the back of my iPad2. I like the way the iPad feels with no case, but I like to keep it protected - the Smart Cover seemed like a good compromise.

The Smart Cover does have a "gee wiz" factor - but beyond that, I just didn't find it to be that useful. 99% of the time, I hold my iPad. I found that, when holding the iPad2, the Smart Cover is just in the way. If you fold it around to the back of the iPad2, the Smart Cover disrupts the feel of the device and flops away from the back constantly.

I kept wanting to take the Smart Cover off - it was more in the way than helpful. I decided I just didn't need it - the PowerSupport film protects the screen and the Smart Case was not going to prevent damage from a fall - beyond the gee wiz factor, why keep it?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Dear Apple,

Why didn't you make the Smart Cover and your magical magnets work in a way that would allow it to attach to the back as well, instead of having it dangle annoyingly. I really don't get it.

Kthxbye

I also returned mine.

benjayman2

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
Dear Apple,

Why didn't you make the Smart Cover and your magical magnets work in a way that would allow it to attach to the back as well, instead of having it dangle annoyingly. I really don't get it.

Kthxbye

I also returned mine.

It's most likely because if the magnets were any stronger it would activate screen when folded all the way in the back as we are seeing some other case manufacturers whose tolerances are not as strict in their product. I don't get the big annoyance of folding it halfway back, but to each their own. Just return it is what I would do or don't buy it in the first place. There are many other cases that would be more to peoples liking coming out everyday.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
It's most likely because if the magnets were any stronger it would activate screen when folded all the way in the back as we are seeing some other case manufacturers whose tolerances are not as strict in their product. I don't get the big annoyance of folding it halfway back, but to each their own. Just return it is what I would do or don't buy it in the first place. There are many other cases that would be more to peoples liking coming out everyday.

That's exactly what I did.

Also the magnet that triggers the screen is only in one location near the top. They could have put the magnet in another spot to have it stick to the back. I'm nitpicking, but if that were the case I probably would have kept it. I just don't like holding the flap, it bugs me.

I'm sure many are fine with it.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Fold it halfway works perfectly.

I use mine along with a full case from targus when carring around.

what i love is that in daily use i can use the ipad the way it is without any ugly cases or covers taking away from the feel of the device.

the smart cover pretty much melts away when folder in half and when i use it to prop up the ipad it looks minimal.

not to mention that the smart cover looks really sexy when in closed position.

to each his own but i love mine.

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Fold it halfway works perfectly.

I use mine along with a full case from targus when carring around.

what i love is that in daily use i can use the ipad the way it is without any ugly cases or covers taking away from the feel of the device.

the smart cover pretty much melts away when folder in half and when i use it to prop up the ipad it looks minimal.

not to mention that the smart cover looks really sexy when in closed position.

to each his own but i love mine.

Excellent points. I never tried the fold in half method....

To the prior post - yes, for $70, the Smart Cover should pay my bills and clean up after my kids too.

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
You may not prefer to take it off, but let's not pretend it's difficult or cumbersome. In fact, it requires the same amount of effort as opening the flap on a dodo or treegloo. Or any other of the cases with front flaps. And to my knowledge, ho other cover "magnets to the place" to keep it in perfect place. So if you don't prefer it, fine. No issue. But let's not pretend for a moment that it is difficult, cumbersome, or that there is any other similar product on the market that is doing it better (with the similar design).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoyasaxa

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I too was just annoyed with the dangling smart cover until I found the half fold. Now, I find it to be perfect, at least for me. Half-fold keeps it out of the way (although I could see how in portrait mode it could still be a problem, but I think most people are landscape people except when reading). And I like just having a cover for when its around the house.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I didn't even get to the exit of the istore before I turned around and returned the smartcover.
the box with the ipad was already fat, and with the smartcover box together in one bag was just getting ridiculous, and was way to much for me, so I returned it immediately.

now with just the size of the iPad box, it is so much better :rolleyes:

and now that I think about it, the smart cover looks too complicated to get attached to the iPad, I can't see this thing working for me.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The cover works fine for what it is...but also expensive for what it is - but the half fold works well, and the myriad of positions you can put it in also gets the job done...but it's just a cover....just a cover...

...that makes tons of money for Apple - "collect them all" - cracks me up.

However, embedding magnets in the ipad so the cover is smart will be used by others well, and offer us other options, so the cover idea is a winner, IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I'm actually a fan of the Smart Cover. I don't know why, but I find the iPad easier to hold when I wrap the cover around the back. I also like the bit of "grip" the cover gives the back of the iPad when it's wrapped around the back. I can make my iPad defy gravity and balance on my leg. If I feel like remembering what the iPad feels like in it's naked glory, I pop off the cover. I'm definitely open to other options though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I always use the cover in half fold. That seems to be the best way to use it for me.

OP, what do you plan on purchasing to replace it? Are you going to just leave the iPad uncovered and stick with the skins?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I am returning mine today also. I was somewhat happy with it but finally decided I would rather go with something else for my 40 bucks.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I wanna like it....in fact I do like it.....but I'm pissed about 2 things:

1) The price - seriously Apple?
2) The colors - screw me even more by forcing me to leather if I want black? $70? Really?

I have the green one.....may be a bit too bright for me. Probably take it back. May or may not get another color. We'll see.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Humm... What to do, what to do??

Post about how much I hate these threads?

Post about how much I hate when people post they hate these threads?

Post about how people post that people who hate these threads don't have to junk them up with posts about that, while in turn junking up the thread with those posts? :rolleyes:

Oh the smart cover. :D

LOVE IT! Does what it was designed to do and does it with style. ;)

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
It takes, literally, two seconds to take off and put back on. Talk about "first world" problems.

As a screen protector, it is a great device. No it doesn't protect the back. Nope. But anyone with an ounce of horse sense would not have thought, even for a bloody second, that it would have protected the back.

All of these "I'm taking my smart cover back" threads are just tiring.

If you don't like it, fine. If you didn't want it to flop on the back, then take it off. If two seconds is too much of an output, then I think you will find the tradeoffs you make with any case to be quite laborious.

Again, it's fine if you just don't prefer it. Or prefer something else. But all of these "critiques" of the smart cover are just getting ridiculous. It does two things: it covers the screen and it can sleep/wake the device. It does those things VERY well (though, arguably, those are very easy things to do). If you want it to do more or less than those two things, the problem is with the consumer, not the product.

I love the Smart Cover. It works very well for how I work/play with the iPad 2. It works very well as a keyboard stand and also as a display stand. Very handy when I'm using the iPad 2 as a photo frame, for watching movies, and for browsing through magazines etc.

I'm one of those people who don't like to get cases for my handheld devices. Think about it: so you get a beautiful looking device, then you wrap it up in some other bulk protection and end up NEVER seeing the actual skin of the device. After all, once a case is installed on the device, you're not going to remove it frequently if ever. What's the point of that then? It's like Apple might as well not have made their products beautiful looking. Smart cover works perfectly for me.

The only other thing I'd get is either a very thin slipcase/sleeve or a manila envelop to slip the iPad 2 in when I'm not using it.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
We know what the Smart Cover does. I know it's just for the screen, still it's overpriced and quite annoying to use IMO.

Overpriced? Yes, definitely agree with that. For the polyurethane one, it shouldn't cost $30. It should close closer to like $15, max. Nevertheless, I willing to get the cover for that ridiculous price.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I too was just annoyed with the dangling smart cover until I found the half fold. Now, I find it to be perfect, at least for me. Half-fold keeps it out of the way (although I could see how in portrait mode it could still be a problem, but I think most people are landscape people except when reading). And I like just having a cover for when its around the house.

Half fold is ideal because if it were totally full unfolded on the back, your hands will be constantly rubbing off on the microfibre and thus getting the inside cover oilier than it needs to be. So, folding it in half on the back is the way to go.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I didn't even get to the exit of the istore before I turned around and returned the smartcover.
the box with the ipad was already fat, and with the smartcover box together in one bag was just getting ridiculous, and was way to much for me, so I returned it immediately.

now with just the size of the iPad box, it is so much better :rolleyes:

and now that I think about it, the smart cover looks too complicated to get attached to the iPad, I can't see this thing working for me.

Hahah. Love your joking ;-)

Here's the other thing I found interesting regarding the unboxing videos of the SmartCover packaging. All of the unboxing videos for the SmartCover I have seen basically rip the tab out of the slot, thus breaking the cardboard. I mean, this is a small thing but I realised that you could simply push the tab through the slot and preserve the cardboard box intact. I haven't tried it yet, but I think the box the SmartCover comes in can actually accomodate the iPad 2 and thus be used as protection when being transported.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I wanna like it....in fact I do like it.....but I'm pissed about 2 things:

1) The price - seriously Apple?
2) The colors - screw me even more by forcing me to leather if I want black? $70? Really?

I have the green one.....may be a bit too bright for me. Probably take it back. May or may not get another color. We'll see.

As someone else said somewhere in Mac Forums, the colours of the polyurethane covers are really not as bright as Apple makes them look on the website. My orange SmartCover is a nice subdued colour, not bright neon looking. So, maybe you'd reconsider the polyurethane covers. Indeed and regardless, $29 for the poly one and $69 for the leather one are both overpriced.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I really like my Smart Cover.

Provides just enough ding protection in my Man Purse without adding too much bulk. Does not flap around when folded in half around the back. And if I need it off, it's off.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
I really like my Smart Cover.

Provides just enough ding protection in my Man Purse without adding too much bulk. Does not flap around when folded in half around the back. And if I need it off, it's off.

Do you put your iPad 2 in a slipcase before you put it in your "Man Purse"? I'm looking for an affordable (less than $20) slipcase for my iPad 2 when I put it in my purse. Oh yeah...I carry a "man purse" too but call it a purse. Gender need not be involved in a purse ;-) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.