PDA

View Full Version : Enki Gear Genius Case

jedolley
Apr 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
For anyone that is interested, the Genius case is now available for pre-order through their site. It's $29.99, free shipping available, and comes in Clear, Smoke, Pink, and Blue. They were mentioning a bonus for pre-order and it now says that if you order before May 1st (while supplies last) they are including a free neoprene sleeve.

http://www.enkigear.com/

Zodiak
Apr 14, 2011, 09:07 PM
For anyone that is interested, the Genius case is now available for pre-order through their site. It's $29.99, free shipping available, and comes in Clear, Smoke, Pink, and Blue. They were mentioning a bonus for pre-order and it now says that if you order before May 1st (while supplies last) they are including a free neoprene sleeve.

http://www.enkigear.com/

Looks like an interesting case. Doesnt cover any of the bezel, its thin, it covers the black. However, they barely show any pictures and the available colors dont match up with what the picture displays. Current picture displays green case with a gray felt backing. Where does the Clear, Smoke, Pink, Blue come into effect?

I also want to see how much of the covers are covered up. Although I dont want a case that covers the bezel, I do want a case that has all of the sides covered up except for cutouts for buttons.

Looks like a case to keep an eye on :)

jedolley
Apr 14, 2011, 09:09 PM
Looks like an interesting case. Doesnt cover any of the bezel, its thin, it covers the black. However, they barely show any pictures and the available colors dont match up with what the picture displays. Current picture displays green case with a gray felt backing. Where does the Clear, Smoke, Pink, Blue come into effect?

I also want to see how much of the covers are covered up. Although I dont want a case that covers the bezel, I do want a case that has all of the sides covered up except for cutouts for buttons.

The green case is the Apple smart cover. Their case is only the clear shell. I don't believe there are any pics of the blue and pink, but on their facebook page they do have a pic of the smoke case.

gigaguy
Apr 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
It's a hard polycarbonate back shell. not bad for the price with a screen cover and maybe a neoprene sleeve. If the 'limited free' sleeve looks like the grey tweed material one on their FB page, I like it.
but not sure I want a slippery plastic back case.

asdad123
Apr 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
Ordered a smoke one :D

Ive been waiting for this case.

jedolley
Apr 14, 2011, 10:29 PM
Just got their newsletter about the pre-order and it had a picture of the free sleeve. Nothing special looking, but free is free. :D

zp3dd4
Apr 14, 2011, 11:04 PM
yeah I preordered one too

gameboy213
Apr 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
I ordered.

I'm from Detroit and they make them in Michigan so I figured they could use the support.

Looks nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

katyoshi
Apr 15, 2011, 12:28 AM
I kept my eye out for this one. I ordered the clear one and hoping for a good deal with a free neoprene case that comes with a screen protector. :D

katyoshi
Apr 15, 2011, 12:29 AM

If you view their Facebook, they had a pic of the smoke one. I just don't wanna lose the real look of the back so i got clear one.

theautopilot
Apr 15, 2011, 04:03 AM
Its not that thin. Plus it looks absolutely identical to this one I got off eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPad-2-Hard-Case-Work-Apple-Smart-Cover-Clear-/220766890211?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3366bb68e3

It's pretty good, nice stopgap until the new Feather is released.

samac92
Apr 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
Its not that thin. Plus it looks absolutely identical to this one I got off eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPad-2-Hard-Case-Work-Apple-Smart-Cover-Clear-/220766890211?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3366bb68e3

Any thoughts on that case? I am thinking of buying one

russr
Apr 15, 2011, 03:10 PM

You're right, it is exactly like the smart cover compatible hard and TPU cases available on ebay. The only difference is the ones on ebay cost around $10 to $15.

theautopilot
Apr 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
Any thoughts on that case? I am thinking of buying one

For the money, it's superb.

But I will probably get a Feather for the extra thinness.

kewltea
Apr 15, 2011, 05:39 PM

Can you post some pics?

J Griz 757
Apr 15, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have pre-ordered the clear one.

cinca
Apr 16, 2011, 04:45 AM

I was disappointed they do not show any photos too.... Especially given they are hoping to have pre-order them. I guess I will need to wait until someone gets on and posts pictures..

Like the website and I like that they are made in the USA.

theautopilot
Apr 16, 2011, 05:13 AM
Can you post some pics?

http://db.tt/QiDL55R

http://db.tt/8KmUvE0

http://db.tt/eEUguuN

Sorry about the grubby finger prints, I was in a hurry...

zepica
Apr 16, 2011, 09:18 AM
http://db.tt/QiDL55R

http://db.tt/8KmUvE0

http://db.tt/eEUguuN

Sorry about the grubby finger prints, I was in a hurry...

Is this case really hard case? Can it be bended?

Mr.C
Apr 16, 2011, 09:18 AM
I've got an Incipio Feather cover. The only problem with that is that the Smart Cover magnets don't work so well. I'm just wondering if the Enki one is better in this respect.

theautopilot
Apr 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Is this case really hard case? Can it be bended?

It's hard (not TPU, at least I don't think so). But it does have a bit of flex, not that you would notice once it's on.

From everything I have read, the Enki specs (2mm thick) and all the pictures I have seen, although I can't say for certain, it would not surprise me at all if this case and the Enki came from the same factory in China even if Enki's site say made in America ;). I might be wrong (maybe mine was US made too?) but I certainly can't see much reason to pay extra for the Enki.

Maybe I should design a cool webpage on Squarespace and resell these OEM's as 'Clever Covers' :)

jedolley
Apr 16, 2011, 09:34 AM

This may be similar, but I doubt it is or will be the same. I thought about getting this same eBay case, but as you can see from the pics on eBay the top of the iPad is exposed. I even asked the seller about it and he confirmed. It's also the same reason I cancelled my Joy Factory order, on that one both the top and bottom were exposed.

It's too early to tell how the Enki will turn out since there aren't alot of pics for it yet.

zoman504
Apr 16, 2011, 11:34 AM
This may be similar, but I doubt it is or will be the same. I thought about getting this same eBay case, but as you can see from the pics on eBay the top of the iPad is exposed. I even asked the seller about it and he confirmed. It's also the same reason I cancelled my Joy Factory order, on that one both the top and bottom were exposed.

It's too early to tell how the Enki will turn out since there aren't alot of pics for it yet.

For half the price, I'll gladly live with the little cutout in the top of the case.

jedolley
Apr 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
Enki updated their facebook page with a full back shot of the Genius Case. The pic displays FULL COVERAGE (minus cut-out for smart cover), meaning top and bottom! That is very promising and as long as there aren't any negative surprises, this could easily become the best Smart Cover compatible shell.

EDIT: The logo was added to the picture. Enki has stated in the comments that the actual logo will be smaller and a frost etched.

3goldens
Apr 23, 2011, 11:09 PM
Enki updated their facebook page with a full back shot of the Genius Case. The pic displays FULL COVERAGE (minus cut-out for smart cover), meaning top and bottom! That is very promising and as long as there aren't any negative surprises, this could easily become the best Smart Cover compatible shell.

EDIT: The logo was added to the picture. Enki has stated in the comments that the actual logo will be smaller and a frost etched.

Just as I suspected a big fat

LOGO!!!!!!!!!

FAIL!

WAIT FOR SMART FEATHER!

Not taking chance with some new company no matter where the hell its made!

jedolley
Apr 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
Just as I suspected a big fat

LOGO!!!!!!!!!

FAIL!

WAIT FOR SMART FEATHER!

Not taking chance with some new company no matter where the hell its made!

Enki stated that the logo was added to the picture. The actual logo will be smaller and frost etched, making it more inconspicuous.

I think the smart feather will be a decent option, but not for those of us that actually want to remove the smart cover easily as it was designed to do.

katyoshi
Apr 24, 2011, 03:21 AM
I made an order long time ago and hoping for the whole sleeve deal!:rolleyes:

TigerStephie
Apr 24, 2011, 08:13 AM
I am really tempted to buy this case. I love the fact that it is made in the USA. But I already have a BSE and I feel it is good enough protection for me with just smart cover most of the time. Sometimes I might want a little more protection and I doubt this would work on top of a skin. Any thoughts?

jedolley
Apr 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
I am really tempted to buy this case. I love the fact that it is made in the USA. But I already have a BSE and I feel it is good enough protection for me with just smart cover most of the time. Sometimes I might want a little more protection and I doubt this would work on top of a skin. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty confident that it will, but won't know for sure until mine arrives. I plan on doing the same thing, BSE+back case.

sotie
Apr 24, 2011, 12:52 PM
This one looks good. I wonder how easy it will be to put on and take off.

briankeith513
Apr 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
This one looks good. I wonder how easy it will be to put on and take off.

This is what I wanna know...how easy will it be to put it on and take it off, and how much weight does it seem to add?

briankeith513
Apr 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
For the money, it's superb.

But I will probably get a Feather for the extra thinness.

How easy is it to put the case on and to take it off? And does it feel thick and heavy?

jedolley
Apr 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
This is what I wanna know...how easy will it be to put it on and take it off, and how much weight does it seem to add?

Official specs haven't been released yet, but this has been asked on their facebook page before. They say it will be about 3-5oz, and about 2mm thick. I wanted to compare that with the other cases, but only the feather advertised thickness (1mm, no weight mentioned that I could find). Both the XGear and Joy Factory don't mention any thickness or weight specs on their site.

3goldens
Apr 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
Enki stated that the logo was added to the picture. The actual logo will be smaller and frost etched, making it more inconspicuous.

I think the smart feather will be a decent option, but not for those of us that actually want to remove the smart cover easily as it was designed to do.

Not sure what you mean, but I used to take my feather off my ipad 1 all the time, but it actually fit in most cases with it on anyway. Its got that barely there thickness, that we actually have no clue about the Genius case everyone seems so excited about and no one has seen!

At least we know what were into with the feather case!

And why doesn't the Enki folks just put up pictures of the finalized product, I think that would go a long way to solving just how big the logo is going to be.

I ussually like to see something before purchasing and there is not much to see here let alone much else in terms of history. I think I will let others be the guinea pigs on this one and we'll see what the end result actually is. Seeing is believing and I've seen nothing special here.

I'm also not impressed with their gimmick of giving away a neoprene case is a classic retail sales bait, just says to me the case is worth a lot less than what your paying for it and you'd probably be better off with one of the Ebay cases mentioned earlier.

Besides who needs another neoprene case anyway, is that made in the US also? Why not just give people a better price with out the giveaway, remember nothing is ever free.

I might also note I have sent three emails to these people asking about the back and logos, and have not received one reply. Another indication of some real BS going on!

jedolley
Apr 24, 2011, 11:22 PM
Not sure what you mean, but I used to take my feather off my ipad 1 all the time, but it actually fit in most cases with it on anyway. Its got that barely there thickness, that we actually have no clue about the Genius case everyone seems so excited about and no one has seen!

At least we know what were into with the feather case!

And why doesn't the Enki folks just put up pictures of the finalized product, I think that would go a long way to solving just how big the logo is going to be.

I ussually like to see something before purchasing and there is not much to see here let alone much else in terms of history. I think I will let others be the guinea pigs on this one and we'll see what the end result actually is. Seeing is believing and I've seen nothing special here.

I'm also not impressed with their gimmick of giving away a neoprene case is a classic retail sales bait, just says to me the case is worth a lot less than what your paying for it and you'd probably be better off with one of the Ebay cases mentioned earlier.

Besides who needs another neoprene case anyway, is that made in the US also? Why not just give people a better price with out the giveaway, remember nothing is ever free.

I might also note I have sent three emails to these people asking about the back and logos, and have not received one reply. Another indication of some real BS going on!

What I am referring to is that the recently announced smart feather is not like the other smart cover compatible cases. It has a piece that goes over the hinge of the smart cover. So, in order to remove the smart cover you will have to remove the case first. Even if the case is easy to remove, it eliminates one of the functional features of the smart cover (easy removal). It will probably be a good case, but restricting the ability to easily take off the smart cover will turn some people off. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but I do like that they plan to do a color for each smart cover.

I know that the Genius case is still a mystery and Enki is unproven company. I went ahead and pre-ordered anyways knowing I could cancel at any time. Per their facebook "We will roll the first Enki Genius Case off the line in Michigan this week and will post production quality photos soon", so we should see pics before they ship. I did the same thing with the Joy Factory... I pre-ordered, then they released more pics showing both the top and bottom were exposed, so I cancelled.

IMO, these threads are to help other members know what's out there or is going to be out there. If you don't like it, that's cool feel free to say it... But keep in mind that your "guess" that it's going suck is about as useful as my "guess" that it'll be good... In the end neither of us will be right, because different strokes for different folks.

mrrish
Apr 25, 2011, 12:28 AM
I think Belkin nailed it:

http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=544455

Picked one up at a best buy in orange county, ca. I cant find much info about it online, odd.

jedolley
Apr 25, 2011, 12:37 AM

Picked one up at a best buy in orange county, ca. I cant find much info about it online, odd.

Yeah, wasn't sure when this would be out. Do you have the SKU, and the price?

Thanks,

JD

theautopilot
Apr 25, 2011, 07:22 AM

I think you might right. Best looking option I have seen as yet. Might wait to see is Incipio really have dropped the ball with Smart Feather first, hope to see some reviews soon.

dbarron
Apr 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
What I am referring to is that the recently announced smart feather is not like the other smart cover compatible cases. It has a piece that goes over the hinge of the smart cover. So, in order to remove the smart cover you will have to remove the case first....

This is still speculation; we really don't know yet exactly how it will work. It is equally possible that the cover only wraps partially around the hinge, providing some additional protection from accidental detachment (and falling iPads) but still allow pretty straightforward removal of the cover without taking off the case. We're all anxious for some additional details from Incipio and/or reviews.

jedolley
Apr 25, 2011, 02:17 PM
This is still speculation; we really don't know yet exactly how it will work. It is equally possible that the cover only wraps partially around the hinge, providing some additional protection from accidental detachment (and falling iPads) but still allow pretty straightforward removal of the cover without taking off the case. We're all anxious for some additional details from Incipio and/or reviews.

That's a good point, and I hope that's the case.

mrrish
Apr 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, wasn't sure when this would be out. Do you have the SKU, and the price?

Thanks,

JD

First I apologize for taking this off topic, but a few people showed interest in the Belkin case so I am responding to their inquiries:

SKU and price in United States:
2538178 (i can't find it on bby dot com)
$39.99 US
Item description on receipt is: "IPAD 2G PC CASE, CLEAR"

Pics of Case in real life:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/294/95292339.jpg
http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/4177/59409734.jpg
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2461/94143023.jpg
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/183/17752707.jpg

jedolley
Apr 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
First I apologize for taking this off topic, but a few people showed interest in the Belkin case so I am responding to their inquiries:

$39.99 US

Pics of Case in real life:
Image (http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/294/95292339.jpg)
Image (http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/4177/59409734.jpg)
Image (http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2461/94143023.jpg)
Image (http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/183/17752707.jpg)

That looks nice! Thanks for the pics.

jedolley
Apr 25, 2011, 04:37 PM

$39.99 US

Tried calling Best Buy about the Belkin to see if they could look it up by the SKU. The guy said it's showing up as some sort of "wall clock" and they didn't have it. Oh well, guess it will show up on line sooner or later. I know the Magazine Jacket, the Griffin Folio were both in stores before they were on line, so probably the same here.

sotie
Apr 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
The Belkin looks sharp:)

MRSaint
Apr 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
Tried calling Best Buy about the Belkin to see if they could look it up by the SKU. The guy said it's showing up as some sort of "wall clock" and they didn't have it. Oh well, guess it will show up on line sooner or later. I know the Magazine Jacket, the Griffin Folio were both in stores before they were on line, so probably the same here.

Since it's been brought up, I went looking at BestBuy tonight and found that some store have them. The SKU posted is one number off, it's actually 2538172. If you're local to the LA area, there is one left in West Covina and 4 in City of Industry. Pasadena and Duerte are both out of stock and only have 1 coming in this week. I must say after looking a lot at the back only cases for the past few weeks, this Belkin one look to be the best of the bunch. Again, sorry for taking this further off topic OP. :(

jedolley
Apr 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
Since it's been brought up, I went looking at BestBuy tonight and found that some store have them. The SKU posted is one number off, it's actually 2538172. If you're local to the LA area, there is one left in West Covina and 4 in City of Industry. Pasadena and Duerte are both out of stock and only have 1 coming in this week. I must say after looking a lot at the back only cases for the past few weeks, this Belkin one look to be the best of the bunch. Again, sorry for taking this further off topic OP. :(

Thanks for the SKU. I called my local Best Buy and their system said they had 1 in stock, but they couldn't find it physically. She said it shows up as an iPad case, but the status shows "deleted" and stated that usually means it's being discontinued. I told her it should be brand spank'n new... She said she wasn't sure, but said she could order it if I was interested. I declined, I'll pick it up if it shows up, no hurry.

In the mean time I have an Enki Genius case on Pre-Order. I also ordered the Joy Factory through Amazon for $27. I may pick up the Belkin if it shows up at my local Best Buy and may consider getting the XGear case to top it off and do a comparison video of all 4.

Right now, based on pictures and the details that are available, the lead contenders (IMO) for smart cover hard shells would be the Enki, and Belkin based on full coverage. The Incipio Smart Feather is still a wild card until they let us know if the smart cover will be removable while the case is on.

clyde2801
Apr 26, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the SKU on the belkin. The BB nearest my office was able to find it in the back of the store, but there was only one left. This is Clyde bait, so naturally I got it.

Not a bad case at all. Not wild about the clear color, but I'll live. I wouldn't consider it a hard case, softer more plastic-ey material than the flea bay and mall kiosk TPU's. Danged pricey enough at $39.99 (ah, the price of instant gratification), but I've resigned myself to the fact that everything in a brick and mortar store is going to be more expensive.

It does work with the smart cover (allowing the on off function and to work as a stand without much impairment), fits inside of my targus leather tote with the smart cover, and does NOT peel off my Ghost armor on the front or back. The belkin, unlike the TPU's, does not have to grip the edges of the screen with a top lip to stay attached.

It also easily attaches and detaches, but promises not to easily come loose accidentally. My gear now has a modular level of protection vs bulk....ipad with smart cover and ghost armor, add belkin case, slip into targus leather tote and bring incase origami workstation (stand and bt kb case), depending how much protection I need and how much I want to carry.

I did place a order last Sunday at gleemobile for the black case, and got an email in response saying that belkin didn't ship as early as anticipated and they expect them to go out the first week of May, and they should be the first to get them. I don't think I'll demand a refund just yet, since it is a black case for slightly more than half the price of the clear.

master-ceo
Apr 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
Belkin for the win. Never pre-order cheap plastic cases. They aint gonna sell out.

briankeith513
Apr 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
I went to my local best buy, and they told me they didn't have it. I then called back with the sku, and they told me they had 2 in the back, and are now holding it for me. Lol, ridiculous. I'm gonna try it out. I'm scared that a hard case may hurt it, since it's hard and not soft like a TPU. I'll let you guys know when I get it. (Belkin hard case)

briankeith513
Apr 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ok, just got back home from Best Buy, here in Atlanta. I have to say, my first feelings, are that this is just about excellent. It's better than the hard shell cases that I've used in the past. This has a softer, thinner feel to it. It offers complete coverage, unlike many cases that work with the smart cover, and truly adds very minimal bulk, and feels great. Mrrish, thanks for the recommendation.

jedolley
Apr 26, 2011, 04:10 PM
Ok, just got back home from Best Buy, here in Atlanta. I have to say, my first feelings, are that this is just about excellent. It's better than the hard shell cases that I've used in the past. This has a softer, thinner feel to it. It offers complete coverage, unlike many cases that work with the smart cover, and truly adds very minimal bulk, and feels great. Mrrish, thanks for the recommendation.

Sounds good. I may have to call my Best Buy again...

mrrish
Apr 27, 2011, 11:50 AM

No problem. I shared it because I felt the same exact way as you.

MathRulz
Apr 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
For those who want to discuss where to buy Belkin or other cases, please use the appropriate message list.

Thanks!

bouda
Apr 28, 2011, 09:07 AM
I have done a ton of research online, and for those that want FULL coverage of the back the Belkin seems to be the best. A lot of the full coverage back cases leave way too much room where the hinges of the smart cover goes. Xgear has a new case xcase flexible shield, but looks like it leaves too much room for the hinge. The feather case seems nice, as most seem to like them for the ipad, however the top and bottom of the ipad 2 are not protected. Deal breaker in my mind. The Enki one in some pictures looks like it covers all, but then in others like in post #6, the top does not look covered - too much risk before I see actual pictures and looks like it may be slippery compared to the Belkin. Hopefully I can find a Belkin at best buy today.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 07:46 AM
Best Buy had a few in back. Was able to have a friend get it with her discount. total came to just under $12 - great deal, which means to me that they are overpricing it by at least $10, if not more because usually the discount is not that much. Someone posted that J&R has them presaled at $29.99 in both clear and smoke, but no pictures.

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 07:57 AM
Best Buy had a few in back. Was able to have a friend get it with her discount. total came to just under $12 - great deal, which means to me that they are overpricing it by at least $10, if not more because usually the discount is not that much. Someone posted that J&R has them presaled at $29.99 in both clear and smoke, but no pictures.

That sounds about right, BB stuck on an additional $10 'nyah, nyah, nyah, we got it first' surcharge on my incase origami workstation when I was able to buy it before it came out on their official website.

3goldens
Apr 29, 2011, 01:13 PM
What I am referring to is that the recently announced smart feather is not like the other smart cover compatible cases. It has a piece that goes over the hinge of the smart cover. So, in order to remove the smart cover you will have to remove the case first. Even if the case is easy to remove, it eliminates one of the functional features of the smart cover (easy removal). It will probably be a good case, but restricting the ability to easily take off the smart cover will turn some people off. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but I do like that they plan to do a color for each smart cover.

I know that the Genius case is still a mystery and Enki is unproven company. I went ahead and pre-ordered anyways knowing I could cancel at any time. Per their facebook "We will roll the first Enki Genius Case off the line in Michigan this week and will post production quality photos soon", so we should see pics before they ship. I did the same thing with the Joy Factory... I pre-ordered, then they released more pics showing both the top and bottom were exposed, so I cancelled.

IMO, these threads are to help other members know what's out there or is going to be out there. If you don't like it, that's cool feel free to say it... But keep in mind that your "guess" that it's going suck is about as useful as my "guess" that it'll be good... In the end neither of us will be right, because different strokes for different folks.

Here's the conversation I just had with Incipio customer service:

3goldens: can you tell me if the smart feather case will allow the removal of the smart cover without removing the whole case?

Call accepted by operator Customer Service. Currently in room:

Customer Service: Hi*3goldens How are you today? One moment please while I double check on that for you.

Customer Service: Our Smart feather Case is designed to have the Smart Cover first applied to the iPad and then the Smart feather.

Customer Service: Furthermore, the Smart feather must be removed before being able to remove the Smart Cover from the iPad.

Customer Service: This is because there is a portion of the Smart feather that covers and helps hold the Smart Cover in place.

3goldens:*oh boy, that's not going to go over well, everyone*loves the fact that you are able to remove the case cover so easily and no one is going to want to remove the protection on the back of their iPad to take the cover off. *I can't imagine why they would have made that decision. *The cover stays on perfectly well all by itself!

Customer Service: I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I love the last line, like I care, they just lost a sale and I'm sure more than one! I'd like to know what idiot would have designed it that way!

fastblack
Apr 29, 2011, 02:01 PM
Here's the conversation I just had with Incipio customer service:

3goldens: can you tell me if the smart feather case will allow the removal of the smart cover without removing the whole case?

Call accepted by operator Customer Service. Currently in room:

Customer Service: Hi*3goldens How are you today? One moment please while I double check on that for you.

Customer Service: Our Smart feather Case is designed to have the Smart Cover first applied to the iPad and then the Smart feather.

Customer Service: Furthermore, the Smart feather must be removed before being able to remove the Smart Cover from the iPad.

Customer Service: This is because there is a portion of the Smart feather that covers and helps hold the Smart Cover in place.

3goldens:*oh boy, that's not going to go over well, everyone*loves the fact that you are able to remove the case cover so easily and no one is going to want to remove the protection on the back of their iPad to take the cover off. *I can't imagine why they would have made that decision. *The cover stays on perfectly well all by itself!

Customer Service: I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I love the last line, like I care, they just lost a sale and I'm sure more than one! I'd like to know what idiot would have designed it that way!
Yeah, this sucks. I'll be taking this of my list.

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think it depends on how easy the feather is to take on and off. I'd like that feature (securing the smart cover in place), if it wasn't difficult to remove and install the case.

theautopilot
Apr 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
I think it depends on how easy the feather is to take on and off. I'd like that feature (securing the smart cover in place), if it wasn't difficult to remove and install the case.

No, it would still be a major pain. I love spontaneously pulling off and putting the SC back on. Plus cases need cleaning to make sure no grip or dirt gets trapped.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
Very strange... just looked at mine before I decide to open it... mine has the logo etched in the case, not in white - clear. But what is disappointing is that the side with the volume button is cut out the same way the side where the smart cover attaches...leaving it completely open for scratches. Is there two versions of the case? The bottom is also much more open as the speaker is not surrounded but the case, there is just an opening that continues to the dock connecter. I am bringing this one back. I want full coverage. Same sku too...

I posted pics in the belkin thread. Seems there are two versions of this case. No idea what is going on, but the one I bought is getting returned.

f1restarter
Apr 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Don't know why everyone is discussing cases from every other manufacturer except Enki case in the Enki thread? Please keep the discussion specific to Enki Genius case. Mod please clean up the thread. Thanks :)

theautopilot
Apr 30, 2011, 02:13 AM
Don't know why everyone is discussing cases from every other manufacturer except Enki case in the Enki thread? Please keep the discussion specific to Enki Genius case. Mod please clean up the thread. Thanks :)

Maybe people are comparing other cases to the Enki and discussing other options in relation to the Enki? Just a thought ;)

jedolley
Apr 30, 2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe people are comparing other cases to the Enki and discussing other options in relation to the Enki? Just a thought ;)

Also, Enki hasn't released any new details or pics for us to discuss. I assume the discussion will pick up in the next few days, and definitely next week when it ships.

tsboy69
May 1, 2011, 12:41 PM
Preordered one in clear today.

BTW - according to a response from them on FB -
the case weighs 85g (3 oz.)

Hope it ends up as nice as the Belkin Snap case looks:D

mac-spy
May 1, 2011, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know the thickness of the case (i.e. 1mm)? Will it be as slim as the feather case?

TwinCitiesJHawk
May 2, 2011, 06:17 PM
Has anyone's Enki case shipped yet?

MathRulz
May 2, 2011, 07:16 PM
Has anyone's Enki case shipped yet?

Not mine. And I ordered within an hour or so of the pre-order go live time. They did just now change the website to "order" from "pre-order."

On FB they say that they will be shipping this week for "existing customers." I take that to mean those who pre-ordered.

3goldens
May 2, 2011, 07:47 PM
Still no rolling off the production line pictures, how strange! No shipping notices either, mmmmmmm.....

Has anyone here actually communicated with these folks other than ordering the product sight unseen? Just curious as I never eceived one response from three or four emails I sent them with inquiries on the case!

Perhaps y'all should start looking for the Belkin snap shield that I think comes in as the clear winner thus far for iPad full coverage back protection.

Call around to your local best buys, see if you can find one pf the full coverage ones beforebthe newer version hits the shelves, you won't be sorry thats for sure!

MathRulz
May 2, 2011, 08:10 PM
Still no rolling off the production line pictures, how strange! No shipping notices either, mmmmmmm.....

Has anyone here actually communicated with these folks other than ordering the product sight unseen? Just curious as I never eceived one response from three or four emails I sent them with inquiries on the case!

Perhaps y'all should start looking for the Belkin snap shield that I think comes in as the clear winner thus far for iPad full coverage back protection.

Call around to your local best buys, see if you can find one pf the full coverage ones beforebthe newer version hits the shelves, you won't be sorry thats for sure!

Thanks but I'll wait for Enki. Belkin products generally don't appeal to me. Enki has been making ipod/iphone/ibook cases down under for a while, so I am willing to take a $30 risk on their North American debut.

TwinCitiesJHawk
May 3, 2011, 10:01 AM
just checked my bank account and saw a charge for $29.99 today from Enki (pre-ordered 4/20), hopefully that means it's going to ship out today!

MathRulz
May 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
just checked my bank account and saw a charge for $29.99 today from Enki (pre-ordered 4/20), hopefully that means it's going to ship out today!

I've not been charged yet and ordered on first day.

From ENKI Facebook today: "We experienced a brief delay in manufacturing and will ship this week. Our customer service department is working hard to respond to the hundreds of inquiries we receive each day."

jedolley
May 3, 2011, 04:06 PM

From ENKI Facebook today: "We experienced a brief delay in manufacturing and will ship this week. Our customer service department is working hard to respond to the hundreds of inquiries we receive each day."

2 hours ago from their facebook:

We are shipping in sequential order of placement. Early orders are scheduled to ship between 5/4 or 5/5.

I hope they ship USPS because I won't be here to accept a package from UPS or FEDEX.

3goldens
May 3, 2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks but I'll wait for Enki. Belkin products generally don't appeal to me. Enki has been making ipod/iphone/ibook cases down under for a while, so I am willing to take a $30 risk on their North American debut.

Good luck!

3goldens
May 3, 2011, 11:56 PM

Find that hard to believe as I sent emails over the course of a three week period and heard back from no one.

They are FOS!

briankeith513
May 4, 2011, 09:25 AM
Find that hard to believe as I sent emails over the course of a three week period and heard back from no one.

They are FOS!

Yeah, that's why I chose not to go with them. They never returned my 2 emails regarding the case. I just picked up a Belkin Snap Case from Best Buy, and I love it. Full coverage, and very lightweight, no added bulk.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

3goldens
May 4, 2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that's why I chose not to go with them. They never returned my 2 emails regarding the case. I just picked up a Belkin Snap Case from Best Buy, and I love it. Full coverage, and very lightweight, no added bulk.

Smart man!

MathRulz
May 4, 2011, 09:56 AM
If Enki doesn't deliver, I simply dispute with Amex and move on. In which case, I would still not get a Belkin (take that Belkin trolls!). I would look at Aviq, Marware, and others. [In addition, I have other cases in hand or on order. Different cases for different uses.]

It seems odd to me that in the Enki thread, we've had a couple of posters consistently doing all they can to downplay Enki and tout Belkin.

jedolley
May 4, 2011, 10:10 AM
If Enki doesn't deliver, I simply dispute with Amex and move on. In which case, I would still not get a Belkin (take that Belkin trolls!). I would look at Aviq, Marware, and others. [In addition, I have other cases in hand or on order. Different cases for different uses.]

It seems odd to me that in the Enki thread, we've had a couple of posters consistently doing all they can to downplay Enki and tout Belkin.

3goldens just doesn't like the "little guy" companies. It's pretty obvious from his posts (not just this thread) he likes the established brand names. There's nothing wrong with that, but we don't need to keep hearing about it.

Enki could be better with communication and updates, but they don't have the manpower that Belkin or other larger companies have. Everyone knew this going in... This doesn't mean the company is a fraud or the product does not exist, and we are all going to get ripped off. All this means is that they have a popular product and not enough manpower, and maybe experience to handle communication in a way we would all like.

I recommend we hold any final judgement of the Enki case until it is shipped, received, and reviewed. They claim to be shipping today... Two days after their original stated date. I don't know about you, but two days is hardly anything to cry about especially from a small company. If they do indeed ship today or this week even, IMO they will have handled their launch 1000% better(communication and expectation wise) than Marware.

briankeith513
May 4, 2011, 11:05 AM

I just mentioned my experience with Enki, since it's an Enki thread, and noted what my alternative was. Enki may end up being a great product. However, again, as far as customer service goes, when a company who is new, doesn't have a presence in stores where I can see their quality, etc before buying, and then doesn't have a good contact method for customers.....that would make me a little concerned. And again, I mentioned that I sent them 2 different emails, and they have chosen not to reply to either one of them......its been like 3 weeks lol. That throws up a red flag for me.

jedolley
May 4, 2011, 11:24 AM
I just mentioned my experience with Enki, since it's an Enki thread, and noted what my alternative was. Enki may end up being a great product. However, again, as far as customer service goes, when a company who is new, doesn't have a presence in stores where I can see their quality, etc before buying, and then doesn't have a good contact method for customers.....that would make me a little concerned. And again, I mentioned that I sent them 2 different emails, and they have chosen not to reply to either one of them......its been like 3 weeks lol. That throws up a red flag for me.

I agree that communication from Enki has not been good. It seems they have gone the route of assuming everyone that has ordered or is interested in their product is checking their facebook page :confused:. I think they have handled it better than some (Marware), but still have a lot to learn.

IMO the Belkin is a good case, but it also came out of no where. By not or possible never, lol, posting it on their site there was no level of expectation. It just magically showed up one day and the news sort of got out via the web (mainly these forums). It also helped that it is a solid case and probably they best smart cover option.

Belkin can afford to do this because they are a well established brand. Enki had to advertise and set a level of expectation just to get their product noticed. Since they are a relatively new company, how they handle these expectations will be closely scrutinized. Hopefully for their sake, and their customers, they don't run into anymore issues.

bouda
May 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
I agree that communication from Enki has not been good. It seems they have gone the route of assuming everyone that has ordered or is interested in their product is checking their facebook page :confused:. I think they have handled it better than some (Marware), but still have a lot to learn.

IMO the Belkin is a good case, but it also came out of no where. By not or possible never, lol, posting it on their site there was no level of expectation. It just magically showed up one day and the news sort of got out via the web (mainly these forums). It also helped that it is a solid case and probably they best smart cover option.

Belkin can afford to do this because they are a well established brand. Enki had to advertise and set a level of expectation just to get their product noticed. Since they are a relatively new company, how they handle these expectations will be closely scrutinized. Hopefully for their sake, and their customers, they don't run into anymore issues.

I have not seen the enki obviously, but some pictures show full coverage and others show the top not fully covered. I have the belkin being shipped to me that is full coverage. The issues I had with the belkin I bought was that it was not full coverage. It seems there are two belkin cases with the same sku and title being sold by best buy. See the belkin post for pictures (there actually may be 3 different ones if you look at the picture on best buys website). I do like the feel of the belkin tho, almost soft, non-slippery feel, not really scratch-able, where the enki looks like a clear plastic that can show scratches. Belkin is def. overpriced by best buy, but if it is the best one then people will pay it - we'll see if the price drops.

There seems to be a lot of alternatives out there, but the only confirmed one with full coverage is the belkin (and some are shipped with not full coverage). Others seem to leave way too much space on the back where the hinge goes or do not cover the top or bottom.

J Griz 757
May 4, 2011, 09:44 PM
I was charged for my Enki case today (I pre-ordered April 15th), I assume that means it has shipped.

I haven't recieved any emails confirming it yet thought.

jcmeyer5
May 4, 2011, 09:47 PM
Ordered mine on the 15th too... No charges yet.

MathRulz
May 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
I thought I hadn't yet been charged but noticed that the charge was in what Amex calls the "pending" category, so it wasn't listed under "recent activity" where I initially looked. I was charged 29.99 on Tuesday. I pre-ordered the evening of April 14. No shipping notice as yet.

Beson
May 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
They charged my card also. Ordered on 4/15. No shipping info yet.

TwinCitiesJHawk
May 5, 2011, 02:54 PM
1st they said they'll start shipping on 5/2, then it changed to 5/4 now they are saying 5/9 (via their facebook page).

f1restarter
May 5, 2011, 04:38 PM
I sent them an email requesting to cancel my order last week and still haven't gotten any reply from these people. I guess I have to call Amex . Shame this company is acting so shady.

gatorbob
May 5, 2011, 07:51 PM
I sent them an email requesting to cancel my order last week and still haven't gotten any reply from these people. I guess I have to call Amex . Shame this company is acting so shady.

I used the "request cancelation" from google checkout order page, and it was done within an hour. Had sent email day before and never heard back.

f1restarter
May 5, 2011, 10:08 PM
You cancelled your order how long after you had originally placed it, cause Google checkout gave me 15 minute window to cancel the order after I placed it.

jedolley
May 5, 2011, 10:16 PM
You cancelled your order how long after you had originally placed it, cause Google checkout gave me 15 minute window to cancel the order after I placed it.

I placed my order on the 14th. I wanted to give Enki a chance, but the continued lack of communication combined with the growing number of other options made the decision to cancel easy.

I put my cancellation request in at 3PM CT and a little after 5PM CT they cancelled my order. Why they couldn't respond half as fast as that for a simple question is beyond me.

To cancel, if you are on the "Receipt" page, there should be a link that says, "Contact Enki Holdings International, LLC."

Once you click on the link it will take you to the page to send them a message and there will be a drop down for the "Subject" field. From the drop down select, "I'd like to cancel my order." and type your message/reason in the body then click "Send Email".

You'll receive an email from Google Checkout that you sent the request to cancel, and then you should receive another one confirming the cancel once Enki has processed it.

f1restarter
May 5, 2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks a bunch. That was really useful.

3goldens
May 6, 2011, 10:47 AM
you guys still waiting eh?

cnixon
May 6, 2011, 02:11 PM
I think I'm going to give them until next week to ship mine before I cancel. I had such high hopes, and now this is turning into another Portenzo thread......

f1restarter
May 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
Finally got my cancel order confirmation on the second try. I can understand small businesses can't reply to every customer immediately but no reply is unacceptable.

pradeepgj
May 6, 2011, 03:52 PM
I really wanted to support these guyz making products in US. But this kinda delay is unacceptable.

May be thei are not manufacturing in US. :D They could be waiting for a delayed shipping from china.

MathRulz
May 6, 2011, 07:10 PM
I really wanted to support these guyz making products in US. But this kinda delay is unacceptable.

May be thei are not manufacturing in US. :D They could be waiting for a delayed shipping from china.

And what kinda delay is that? Pre-orders started April 14 with shipping to begin May 2. It is now May 6. That's a 4 day delay. Not like Portenzo, Treegloo, and others noted in these forums.

jcmeyer5
May 6, 2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing cause to panic here. Small company, working out the bugs, and they gave an overly optimistic timeline. Stuff happens. I got time. I'll wait.

briankeith513
May 6, 2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing cause to panic here. Small company, working out the bugs, and they gave an overly optimistic timeline. Stuff happens. I got time. I'll wait.

That's one way of looking at it. But here are the facts, small company, ignored the emails of many of their customers, and haven't done much in the way of good customer service.

jedolley
May 6, 2011, 10:31 PM
That's one way of looking at it. But here are the facts, small company, ignored the emails of many of their customers, and haven't done much in the way of good customer service.

Agreed.

Also, keep in mind that their updates have only come via their Facebook page. It's bad enough that the updates have been few and far between, but they are assuming that all or most of their customers know to look at their facebook page for what little info there is.

X-Z
May 7, 2011, 01:56 AM
Really disappointing service, got a Dodo Bookback instead.

MathRulz
May 7, 2011, 03:14 PM
Also, keep in mind that their updates have only come via their Facebook page.

Yes, an over reliance on FB, but not entirely.

They have also sent out three or four issues of a "newsletter" although it hasn't always been that informative. The latest version was sent today. Excerpts below:

Thank you for your Enki Genius Case Order. All Genius Case Bonus Packs ship Monday-Wednesday 5/9-5/11. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Enki Genius Case Bonus Pack Order Status*
We apologize for the delay of your order. Pre-Orders Begin Shipping Monday
Thank you for your order of the Enki Genius Case Bonus Pack. We can assure you that we're working very hard to fill all of the orders as quickly as possible. *We've received thousands of orders and customer service inquiries via email and phone calls and we're working to respond to each one and appreciate your patience.

We've experienced a brief delay in shipping due to overwhelming demand and final adjustments to the Genius Case design. The majority of early Pre-Orders (4/14-5/1) will ship on Monday with the remaining orders completed by end of the week. *We don't believe it will take that long but want to make sure you are informed on the status of your order. *Be sure to like our Enki Facebook Fan Page as we are posting daily updates there as well.*

Pre-Order Billing Clarification
Early Pre-Order customers (prior to 10 days ago) should be aware that upon your initial order, Google Checkout placed an initial charge/hold for your purchase amount. These funds remained in escrow with Google for 10 days and if we haven't shipped your product within the 10 days the funds are refunded to your account. Since our Pre-Order period extended beyond the 10 days many of you received the funds back from Google. Your order has not been cancelled and is still in cue to ship. This week we began the process of charging early Pre-Order customers to ensure payment was still authenticated prior to shipment. Enki doesn't receive payment until we provide your tracking number confirming the shipment. If you have questions regarding this billing process please email us via our contact us form*at www.enkigear.com/contact.

Thank you for your patience and business. We are working 24/7 through the weekend to ensure shipments and tracking numbers are distributed beginning Monday.

Designed, Tooled and Manufactured in USA
A Deliberate Choice:*Once we designed the Genius Case we made a deliberate choice to have our injection molding tool created in Detroit and not overseas. Our brand promise is around creating examples of American ingenuity with superior quality through skilled manufacturing. The picture above is the Enki Genius Case injection molding tool (weighing in at over 3,000lbs) as it was re-installed into the machine that will manufacture 90 Genius Cases an hour. *

jcmeyer5
May 7, 2011, 05:43 PM

I can appreciate that. They definitely could have done more proactive communication, but they haven't been silent. Still, I believe an order with them is still safe. A little concerned about the last minute "design tweaks," but that is what returns are for. If they start shipping Monday, it was a one week delay. Not too disappointed with that.

cnixon
May 9, 2011, 04:35 PM
Have there been anymore updates on their Facebook page. I don't have a Facebook Account so I can't check.

I wanted to give Enki a fair chance, but my patience is wearing. Especially with all the other Smart Cover compatible cases showing up on the market. I'd be willing to settle for the Belkin case about now.

Nightz
May 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
Have there been anymore updates on their Facebook page. I don't have a Facebook Account so I can't check.

I wanted to give Enki a fair chance, but my patience is wearing. Especially with all the other Smart Cover compatible cases showing up on the market. I'd be willing to settle for the Belkin case about now.

They posted one a couple of hours ago:
We realize we committed to our customers we would ship on May 2, 2011. However as we finalized manufacturing, we were not happy with the quality of the initial parts and made a decision to have our tool maker fix the mold before we started shipping.

We have been working 24 hours a day / 7days per week to make sure that when we release the Genius case you and all of our customers will be glad that you made your purchase from Enki.

We are committed to quality and will not release product unless we are willing to stand behind it 100%. We sincerely apologize for the delay, but our team will not to ship product that does not meet quality standards, even if that means potentially losing some customers because of the delay.

We understand that some customers will choose to cancel their order because of the delay, we completely understand and will honor all requests.

If you choose to stay with Enki, we appreciate your patronage and look forward to delivering the highest quality case for your iPad2.

We back every product with a lifetime replacement warranty called our Forever Guarantee. To provide quality products we stand behind forever, it has to be right before we ship to any customers.

Thank you for your business and patience.

-Enki Management Team

cnixon
May 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
I appreciate it. I guess I'll try and wait it out, since they are claiming such high standards. This case better be awesome.

MathRulz
May 9, 2011, 08:24 PM
Have there been anymore updates on their Facebook page. I don't have a Facebook Account so I can't check it.

You don't need a Facebook account just to check it, only to leave messages. Just click on the 'f' on their home page to go to their FB page.

cnixon
May 11, 2011, 01:42 PM
Got a message from Google during lunch. Looks like they've shipped my order!

bouda
May 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
Got a message from Google during lunch. Looks like they've shipped my order!

Hopefully those receiving can post a review and pictures.

My two questions are

- does it have full coverage of the back, or is the top open like some pictures show.
- Is it a hard plastic, where scratches will show easily and the feel is slippery

I love the belkin, but for $40, two versions with the same sku, and the full coverage one having some rough edges, it is clearly not worth it.

The Speck SmartShell looks promising as well.

katyoshi
May 11, 2011, 05:13 PM
Got my shipment confirmation! Hopefully it actually comes in this week so I can take it with me to my trip to south Korea and leave my incase book jacket iPad 2 at home.

MathRulz
May 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Enki said on FB that FedEx was coming to make one big pickup today. I have confirmation that my Enki Genius Case was picked up by FedEx and is now at their distribution facility in Michigan.

Enki is using FedEx Smart Post which "has a transit time of 2 - 8 business days (longer-time-in transit outside the contiguous 48 U.S. states) with final delivery to the residence made by the U.S. Postal Service."

katyoshi
May 11, 2011, 06:11 PM
Wow from fedex to USPS? I wish they expedited shipping since they're shipping it later than stated.

jcmeyer5
May 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
SmartPost sssssuuuuuucks.

I am losing my patience with these guys. It's one thing to be behind, butnthey raer blowing commitments left and right. They said they can make 15,000 cases per day. They couldn't have received that many preorders... So what the ******* is taking so long? They've had my money over a week. I'm nearly ready to drive up there and wring it out of them.

jedolley
May 11, 2011, 09:55 PM
I've already jump ship... There are enough options (IMO better options) where one does not have to put with the delays, lack of communication, and overall bad customer service.

I really wanted to give this case and company a chance... If they were delivering something really unique, I may have considered waiting out, but it's just another smart cover shell. It may still end up being a solid case, but not worth the trouble especially with the Switcheasy, Speck, and Belkin cases available now.

MathRulz
May 11, 2011, 10:05 PM
It may still end up being a solid case, but not worth the trouble especially with the Switcheasy, Speck, and Belkin cases available now.

What trouble? Pre-order the case, sit back, and wait for it to arrive. Doesn't sound troubling to me. Same as my forthcoming Treegloo.

jedolley
May 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
What trouble? Pre-order the case, sit back, and wait for it to arrive. Doesn't sound troubling to me. Same as my forthcoming Treegloo.

Usually it's that simple, but I had a trip planned and since it was shipped out on the 2nd(original date), I had to make some sort of arrangements. However, since Enki would not respond to any form of contact, I had to cancel my order to avoid the chance the case would get returned since I was not available to accept it.

They did finally answer some of the questions I had (still never replied to any of my emails, just happened to catch the answers on Facebook), I.E. carrier, date, etc. It may have worked out anyways since they delayed it again, but I had no way of knowing since they don't communicate with their customers.

It may not sound like a big deal, but if they are this difficult to deal with now, imagine how hard it would be to return the case for refund/exchange.

Beson
May 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
Was about to bail but got my shipping email today. To be honest, I don't know if I need a case as I've gotten by so far, but it'll be nice to have that protection and travel sleeve.

katyoshi
May 12, 2011, 07:33 AM
Was about to bail but got my shipping email today. To be honest, I don't know if I need a case as I've gotten by so far, but it'll be nice to have that protection and travel sleeve.

I agree, the longer I wait, the worse. I've had high hopes for shipping reliability. I got NO email replies and I didn't get facebook replies either. I don't usually complain but for the money we paid for pre-order, you would've expected more especially since there was so much hype for this product. I already have the BSE skin on here. I had second thoughts like buying a good 'ol sleeve from Ross shopping center for cheap and not needing a plastic shell at all. But then again, recently, I received a shipping confirmation. so I'll stick with it and it better be high quality. they should also throw in other freebies for early adopters in preorder.

NewMu2ant
May 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hello,

New to the thread, but found it in hopes to find some one else who may be on the verge of being scammed by Enki or who could put my mind at ease. I ordered my case on April 24th through Google Checkout. It is the first and only item I have purchased with Google Checkout. I was charged for the case the night I ordered it and again May 13th. I spoke to a woman at Enki 2 weeks ago regarding the shipment but now two days in a row all I receive is an automated machine. Thats a lose of $60 and hopefully not more when all said and done.

C47
May 14, 2011, 06:17 PM
Received the Enki clear case today. It's pretty bad. It looks and feels about the same quality as the $10 generic plastic cases you can get off ebay. Edges are extremely rough and unpolished and the plastic is inconsistent. This looks like something you'd pay $5 for in a Chinatown electronics bodega. I'm completely shocked they charged $30 for this, which is why I think they threw in the screen protector and neoprene sleeve. Also, it has no mic cut out. What?! I went to Target and ended up getting a Belkin which in comparison is 100 times more refined. Returning the Enki Monday.

MathRulz
May 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
Here is a review with photos of the Enki Smart Case by Sean Hegamyer

http://vtach359-1.blogspot.com/2011/05/brief-review-enki-case-for-ipad-2.html

3goldens
May 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
All I can do is shake my head.

All this time they had to fix molds and get things up and running
and they forget to put a hole in the top of the case for a microphone!

I mean come on!

The review I read was very comprehensive, thanks so much.
I think the two points I walked away with are:

"The 4 corners sort of hold the cover in place.

Every now and then a corner might come loose,
but that hasn't been much of a problem.

(NOTE he just got it so this could be an issue in the future!)

The top edge of the Enki case does cover the iPad 2's microphone.*
It's hard to see in this picture, but the edge of the case is just below the mic.* It's odd that they didn't cut a hole for it."

This being a real issue!

Sounds like the folks who ordered this case have all been waiting for the perfect case that appears to have turned out to be not so perfect after all
and that's a damm shame!

Perhaps now you'll take a look at the better case made by Belkin!

MathRulz
May 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
Perhaps now you'll take a look at the better case made by Belkin!

From what I saw on the Belkin thread, there are issues with that as well, including not knowing for sure which version you might actually receive.

And the Belkin is $40!

jedolley
May 16, 2011, 03:09 PM
From what I saw on the Belkin thread, there are issues with that as well, including not knowing for sure which version you might actually receive.

And the Belkin is $40!

It's $40 at Best Buy, but J&R has it for $30. As for the different versions, that appears to be sorting itself out as there has been less and less reports of the less protective version.

Another option is the Switcheasy Coverbuddy which is $3 cheaper than the Enki, and I haven't seen any report of any problems with that case. In comparing just the clear poly carbonate type cases I have (Switcheasy, Speck, Joy Factory, and eBay), this one is easily the best. If I were to describe the SE case with one word, it would be "finished". What I mean by that is that every edge, curve, and cutout looks like it was finished, no rough edges or spots.

Also when comparing the feel to the other cases, but especially the Joy Factory and eBay case, the SE case feels different like it has some sort of coating or it's a different kind of material used. This may be due to the "scratch resistant" coating they advertise, which hopefully it is because the Joy Factory and Ebay cases has scratch marks out of the box.

Bottom line: I'm glad I jumped ship. You can defend the Enki all you, want but I don't know what purpose it serves. There are better and in some cases better AND cheaper options out there. I wanted to like this product, but it turns out that their case is like their customer service...rough.

3goldens
May 16, 2011, 03:35 PM

And the Belkin is $40!

Yea so keep the case that's cheaper and your microphone is not functional and eventually your Ipad may not snap into place.

Great!

No issues with Belkin, none what so ever, I love it, the best I have seen thus far and I've tried a lot.

As stated it will be $30 bucks at JR and only get the one with full coverage as the last poster stated. SImple as that and your done, no more waiting & guessing, no more hoping, no more nothing other than enjoying your Ipad!

So much better man, even the Speck got it right the first time.

Get that one then, you can find it for even less than the Belkin!

Try gleemobile.com I think I paid like 25.

MathRulz
May 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
I am not defending Enki--I posted the link to the review of the Enki product that showed it did not live up to the hype. However, I am not enamored of Belkin. I may give the SE a look. There also is one on Amazon that is getting high marks and is about $15. Smart Cover Partner Snap On Slim-Fit. I want a clear, not opaque back, so the engraving shows.

bouda
May 16, 2011, 03:47 PM
How did all the hype over the Enki case start? Other alternatives were coming out, and its not like they have come out with other iPad cases that people have loved. I would never pre-order something like this without seeing reviews from users. The pictures on their site and fb page do not look like the product was anything special.

ascNYC
May 16, 2011, 03:48 PM
My "Genius" case is on its way but initial reports here don't sound good. Anyone know what our return/refund options are? Not surprisingly there's no information on their website. Are we out our $30?

Thanks.

bouda
May 16, 2011, 03:58 PM
Another option is the Switcheasy Coverbuddy which is $3 cheaper than the Enki, and I haven't seen any report of any problems with that case. In comparing just the clear poly carbonate type cases I have (Switcheasy, Speck, Joy Factory, and eBay), this one is easily the best. If I were to describe the SE case with one word, it would be "finished". What I mean by that is that every edge, curve, and cutout looks like it was finished, no rough edges or spots.

Only thing I do not like about the Switcheasy is how much space is left where the hinge goes. Way too much of the back is exposed. If it did not have this it might be the best case. Belkin nailed this part. I do like how the speaker is covered. iLounge shows good pictures of this. Also, the clear looks like regular plastic, and could show scratches more, but I have never seen the case, so I can't say that this is the case.

koology
May 16, 2011, 04:14 PM
Here is a review with photos of the Enki Smart Case by Sean Hegamyer

http://vtach359-1.blogspot.com/2011/05/brief-review-enki-case-for-ipad-2.html

thanks for the review.

i have 1 questions for you.

can you tell me in your opinion was this a good buy?

regardless of the waiting game.... price... and what others are saying.

thanks

jedolley
May 16, 2011, 04:40 PM
Only thing I do not like about the Switcheasy is how much space is left where the hinge goes. Way too much of the back is exposed. If it did not have this it might be the best case. Belkin nailed this part. I do like how the speaker is covered. iLounge shows good pictures of this. Also, the clear looks like regular plastic, and could show scratches more, but I have never seen the case, so I can't say that this is the case.

I thought about this too, but I think I know why some of these cases are cut wider, or at least the SE case.

When you fold back the smart cover you will notice that the cut out allows the hinge to sit flat on the back of the iPad and the cut out does not interfere. However, because the way the hinge is designed the smart cover can still fold back on both the Belkin and SE case. The only difference I can tell that the cut-out affects is the angle of the landscape mode. The belkin appears to sit a bit more upright, than the SE case when using the smart cover, but its so insignificant it's hard to notice.

IMO both are good cases.

If you want grip and the most protection go Belkin.
If you want clear shell or more color options take a look at Switcheasy.

MathRulz
May 16, 2011, 07:18 PM
thanks for the review.

i have 1 questions for you.

can you tell me in your opinion was this a good buy?

regardless of the waiting game.... price... and what others are saying.

thanks

I have not yet received mine (due to arrive Wednesday), so I cannot say at this time. Waiting game was immaterial to me. It was a pre-order, so I knew it would take some time. I liked that it was made in Detroit.

Sounds like some roughness to the edges--I will lightly sand any rough spots. No cutout for mic is not good. Means that for better voice quality--recording notes or face time--the case comes off. I don't use the mic very often, so not quite as important to me as some others. The Genius case is going to be used primarily at home. I have a Waterfield Designs Smart Case for carrying the iPad in my briefcase, a Waterfield Designs iPad Wallet for when I want to take Apple's BT keyboard along for the ride, and a custom Treegloo on the way as well.

J Griz 757
May 16, 2011, 08:05 PM
Just recieved my Enki pre-order pack today (I'm in Maryland), with my clear genius case.

With the sleeve, and screen protector that came with it, I think $30 was a good deal.

The genius case fits perfect, and great with the smart cover. I haav no complaints at this point, but I'm not ocd like some folks on here, and the week extra wait didn't really bother me too much.

I'm finally satisfied with my protection, and the sleeve is a nice touch, especially being that I have two kids, so my electronics can never have enough protection haha.

bouda
May 16, 2011, 08:08 PM
I thought about this too, but I think I know why some of these cases are cut wider, or at least the SE case.

When you fold back the smart cover you will notice that the cut out allows the hinge to sit flat on the back of the iPad and the cut out does not interfere. However, because the way the hinge is designed the smart cover can still fold back on both the Belkin and SE case. The only difference I can tell that the cut-out affects is the angle of the landscape mode. The belkin appears to sit a bit more upright, than the SE case when using the smart cover, but its so insignificant it's hard to notice.

IMO both are good cases.

If you want grip and the most protection go Belkin.
If you want clear shell or more color options take a look at Switcheasy.

I see your point. But since the hinge attaches to the actual iPad, and then folds over on the Belkin, the hinge has no reason to sit flat on the back, as the smart cover can only go so far to be flat against the Belkin. If the hinge laid flat on the back, then the smart cover would have to bend a little get back up over the shell.

dcgooner
May 17, 2011, 06:31 PM
Received my Genius Case today - 1 day ahead of expected arrival date. (That was nice.) Overall, if my choices were 'satisfied' or 'not satisfied', then I would have to choose 'not satisfied'. On a scale of 1-5, I'd give it a 2.5. Disclaimer - I'll let you know now that I typically have high expectations, and I'm sure I've been a pain in the ass to many customer service reps. (I'm working on it.)

The case itself seems 'raw'. It's as if they sent me a prototype. Definitely not finished with smooth, rounded edges, which is what I expected. We all know about the case not having a cut out for the mic - disappointed about that. At the same time, I've never seen/handled any other case, so I have no point of comparison. I just know that this case is probably not the benchmark.

As for the sleeve, it's pretty basic/cheap - not nearly as much padding as my incase sleeve for my laptop. Then again, it was free so I'm trying to tone down my sense of entitlement.

Haven't messed with the screen protector yet.

I'll find out what my options are regarding a return/refund. If it's a pain in the butt - which is what I expect - I'm going to do my best to accept what I've got and just move on. It's not really worth getting all stressed out about.

Bottom line - It's ok. If I hadn't gotten a free sleeve with it, I probably would be raising hell. I didn't let the delayed shipping/bad customer service issues get to me. Taking it all into account, I'm sure there are better cases out there from companies with better customer service. Hope this helps some undecided folks out there.

jedolley
May 17, 2011, 06:43 PM
I really think some of the "reviews" from people that have received the case have been too kind. Even if we ignore all the other flaws, the no mic cutout is an automatic deal breaker. I don't even use the mic much if at all, but a case should have ALL the appropriate cut-outs and hopefully aligned correctly. Some of you may compromising for this case because you may not use the mic, but if a really great app or game comes out that utilizes the mic feature, you are going to either get a new case, or mod the one you got. With all the options out there, you are doing yourself a disservice by sticking with the Enki case due to this flaw. I would be contact Enki for a refund or at least get some sort of guaranty that when they correct this mistake they will exchange it.

Don't compromise! We want to encourage/force companies to make quality products!

iShatMyself
May 18, 2011, 02:45 PM
For $30 it was a decent deal... It came with a squishy sleeve and a screen protector, which I managed apply with minimal bubbles. But the case itself is shoddy... The moulding is uneven around the corners, and the edges are sharp in some areas... I haven't tried sanding it yet. Oh yeah, I had to saw around the mic using a kitchen knife. That was fun...

It's funny that their information slip is more professional-looking than their case.

cnixon
May 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
..what's the real issue with the Enki Case? I'm dissapointed to hear about the mic hole being covered. However, other than that and a few complaints of rough edges, what's wrong with it? Now I'm expecting to open a box containing a warped peice of trash.

Is it really that bad?

jedolley
May 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
..what's the real issue with the Enki Case? I'm dissapointed to hear about the mic hole being covered. However, other than that and a few complaints of rough edges, what's wrong with it? Now I'm expecting to open a box containing a warped peice of trash.

Is it really that bad?

IMO the missing mic cutout or any missing cutout for that matter should be enough to be a deal breaker. I don't have the case, and from what I have read it's not defective or anything. Most complaints have been rough edges and other minor quality issues (not counting the mic cutout which I view a major issue).

With that said, these things combined make it a very unattractive option especially when trying to compete with other smart cover shell alternatives (i.e. Joy, Belkin, XGear, Switcheasy, Speck, etc.). IMO, with the reported issues and the missing cutout, this case is worse than the generic cases you can get off ebay for 50-75% cheaper.

There are better options, don't settle for this junk.

3goldens
May 18, 2011, 05:24 PM
..what's the real issue with the Enki Case?
the mic hole being covered.
rough edges

you answered your own question.

why would you want a case that has the mic covered over?

bouda
May 18, 2011, 06:16 PM
you answered your own question.

why would you want a case that has the mic covered over?

exactly. how they produced it without the cutout is embarrassing. i still would like to know how all the hype got started with this case and why people pre-ordered from a company that had no other history of a solid iPad case.

iShatMyself
May 19, 2011, 04:08 AM
exactly. how they produced it without the cutout is embarrassing. i still would like to know how all the hype got started with this case and why people pre-ordered from a company that had no other history of a solid iPad case.

I ordered from them because it was the only Speck-like hard case on the market that was smart cover compatible. The pictures of it looked good, and the company seemed legit. They even included a sleeve and screen protector for free. All seemed well... Until I got the wrong tracking # and the case itself. I had to produce a cut out with a knife, too. Definitely NOOBS.

dcgooner
May 19, 2011, 05:44 AM
My "Genius" case is on its way but initial reports here don't sound good. Anyone know what our return/refund options are? Not surprisingly there's no information on their website. Are we out our $30?

Thanks.

Have you found out how to get a refund? Anybody know Enki's return/refund policy?

bouda
May 19, 2011, 07:38 AM
I ordered from them because it was the only Speck-like hard case on the market that was smart cover compatible. The pictures of it looked good, and the company seemed legit. They even included a sleeve and screen protector for free. All seemed well... Until I got the wrong tracking # and the case itself. I had to produce a cut out with a knife, too. Definitely NOOBS.

the pictures they posted seemed all over the place to me. if you look at some of the smoke pictures the top did not have full coverage, then the clear one did... and they never posted full pictures from all angles. i just won't spend the money on something like that until i either see it in person or see some reviews online.

TwinCitiesJHawk
May 19, 2011, 09:10 AM
Have you found out how to get a refund? Anybody know Enki's return/refund policy?

I just received my case yesterday and am going to send it back due to the edge being very sharp and when using facetime the person says I sound too far away - due to the mic hole being covered up.

From the Order receipt that I received from Google Checkout there's an option to click under "Problems with this order?" From there I selected "Request Return and Refund" and filled out the message box. I hope to hear back from them soon....

dcgooner
May 19, 2011, 09:12 AM
I just received my case yesterday and am going to send it back due to the edge being very sharp and when using facetime the person says I sound too far away - due to the mic hole being covered up.

From the Order receipt that I received from Google Checkout there's an option to click under "Problems with this order?" From there I selected "Request Return and Refund" and filled out the message box. I hope to hear back from them soon....

Ya. I've done that, but don't expect a reply. In my email to them I wrote that if I don't hear back from them [within 3 business days], I would send back everything I received, and include my Google Checkout order confirmation page. Hope that it's enough to get my money back.

butterfly0fdoom
May 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ya. I've done that, but don't expect a reply. In my email to them I wrote that if I don't hear back from them [within 3 business days], I would send back everything I received, and include my Google Checkout order confirmation page. Hope that it's enough to get my money back.

Yeah, I even e-mailed them from their website's contact form early last week to cancel, never heard back, and found out that during last two days of that week they weren't taking cancellations anymore. If the customer service sucked but the product was good, fine. But if both suck, they deserve whatever reaming people are sending their way.

ascNYC
May 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
I too got the Genius case and also am very disappointed for the same reasons most here are. I too sent a return request via Google Checkout several days ago and have heard nothing.

My concern with just sending it back without Enki's aknowledgment is that I'll have no cover and no refund.

If I don't hear anything by EOD tomorrow I'm disputing with AMEX. They at least answer the phone and understand the importance of customer service.

-Andrew

TwinCitiesJHawk
May 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
I too got the Genius case and also am very disappointed for the same reasons most here are. I too sent a return request via Google Checkout several days ago and have heard nothing.

My concern with just sending it back without Enki's aknowledgment is that I'll have no cover and no refund.

If I don't hear anything by EOD tomorrow I'm disputing with AMEX. They at least answer the phone and understand the importance of customer service.

-Andrew

I sent a note via google checkout AND on the contact button from their website yesterday - just received return instructions 5 mins ago.

3goldens
May 19, 2011, 01:53 PM
geez, this is really a shame. I'm sorry you all are so disappointed tith this thing.

You guys should consider the Speck or Belkin cases as alternatives to this one, they both are excellent cases and widely available, but I have feeling you all know that anyway!

You can get the Speck for a reasonable price $29.99 less 10% + free shipping if you go to this site make a comment down toward the end of the page and you'll get a coupon by email. Worked for me.

http://www.squidoo.com/ipad2casesinstock

jedolley
May 19, 2011, 01:56 PM
geez, this is really a shame. I'm sorry you all are so disappointed tith this thing.

You guys should consider the Speck or Belkin cases as alternatives to this one, they both are excellent cases and widely available, but I have feeling you all know that anyway!

Agree, but I would put the Switcheasy Coverbuddy over the Speck case.

anthonie
May 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
Did anyone else get a response from customer support about receiving a replacement? I emailed them about returning the case because there was no cutout for the mic and they sent back a response stating:

"If you are happy with the case except for mic, keep it and we will be sending out replacement next week."

I'm leaning towards the Belkin case now but may just sell off both Enki's to a buddy if they're send a replacement.

bouda
May 19, 2011, 03:19 PM
Did anyone else get a response from customer support about receiving a replacement? I emailed them about returning the case because there was no cutout for the mic and they sent back a response stating:

"If you are happy with the case except for mic, keep it and we will be sending out replacement next week."

I'm leaning towards the Belkin case now but may just sell off both Enki's to a buddy if they're send a replacement.

I would. The Enki looks like it will scratch very easy as well, no?

Jms3212
May 24, 2011, 08:47 AM
I received my Enki case today and was really surprised at how well built it was and how perfectly it hugs the back of the ipad2. I did have a speck case and was really disappointed because it lifted the smart cover off of the front so the magnetism of the opening flap did not work to hold the smartcover in place. I have also had an iCarbon back and a leather full case.

The enki does not have a mic hole. Does this suck? Yes. Is it a manufacturing issue? Yes. However, I found a quick fix that looks factory.

Directions:

Put the case on the ipad. Use a black marker and mark the mic location on the exterior of the case. Take a small piece of masking tap and place it over the black mark. Remove the case form the ipad. Hold it up to the light and transfer the black mark onto the front of the masking tape. Take a small low power drill with a 1/16" drill bit and drill two consecutive horizontal holes(side by each) the tape will prevent fraying. Slide the bit between the two hole gently to join them into on oblong cut. Remove the tape and you have a perfect factory looking mike hole. Problem solved.

As for the "sharp edges" I did notice it and felt that it isn't due to poor production, it makes the case look literally more edgy. However I have small neices and nephews that love to play with my ipad (kind of why i wanted the case in the first place) and I don't want them to get cuts. You can fix this too and it will also look factory.

At home depot or a local hardware store you can buy a 1000 grit sanding block for about $2. Buy one and lightly run it over just the edge, being careful not to touch the smooth flat surfaces of the case. Problem solved.

Should you have to do any off this? No. Does it work like a dream and does it seem (at least so far) far superior to the other three ipad2 cases I have owned? Absolutely!

It sucks to have to do this, but now i love my case. None of the available aren't with out their problems. The biggest solution this one offers is not wrapping to the front of th case and interfering with the smart cover. Some of the smartcover "compatible" ones only allow the magnets to hook up but really impinge on the functionality of the opening side of the smartcover.

Cheers!

syran
May 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm also pleased with my enki purchase. With my case, there weren't any rough edges or sharp corners, just the lack of cutout for the mic. I posted a review with pics, where I did mention it took a bit of effort to "snap" it on, but none of my corners have wiggled off or anything. It also looks great and offers full coverage. It doesn't scratch that easy and I like the way it looks and feels. It's obviously high quality polycarbonate and Works awesome with the smart cover. I'm looking forward to their replacement case with a mic cutout! My friend slid it on a brick fireplace (THANK GOD IT WAS THE CASE AND NOT THE IPAD!!!!) so the back does have a nasty nick on it now. Anyway, here's the link:

http://daslautlacht.blogspot.com/2011/05/enki-genius-case-official-verdict.html

~~Hello~~
May 25, 2011, 07:20 AM
How can you be pleased with a product that covers the microphone?

If they don't repond to my emails I shall be sending it back and phoning my bank to issue a chargeback. :mad:

syran
May 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
How can you be pleased with a product that covers the microphone?

If they don't repond to my emails I shall be sending it back and phoning my bank to issue a chargeback. :mad:

I just don't find the cutout for the mic important. I've recorded a lecture with the case on AND done recordings and facetime, and though it's quieter, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Also, I've never emailed them. Why ask the same exact questions as everyone else is? To get them to answer quicker? Obviously that didn't work, where they once had very interactive customer service they now seem absent. It's because at least a thousand people have emailed them bitching and moaning about the exact same thing. Just my opinion as to why no one is getting answered.

If they put up that much advertising, they should have been ready to handle the wave, though. I don't think they should have even made promises after that happened. They were a little guy that got way too much business and their customer service department lost them a lot of customers.

jcmeyer5
May 25, 2011, 12:19 PM
Okay, I have acclimated to my Enki case. I give it (customer service issues aside) an 85%. Three issues for me. First is the sharp edges, however as this is a mas produced item, I am more than happy to use a nail file to knock them down. That is a -3% penalty. For a -5% is the mute/lock switch. Mine is in direct contact with the case, meaning the case is too tight on that switch. I also think it may be causing some fit issues on the opposite corner as that corner has a bit of trouble staying put. Finally, for -7% is the mic covering. I havent needed to use the mic yet, but come on... covering it was just not smart.

Overall, I like my case. I have it fitted over an iCarbon skin, and I am looking at the DRO Concepts cover to match... but not sold on that one yet.

MathRulz
May 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
Enki just sent this announcement a few minutes ago:

Dear Enki Customers:

This month we shipped thousands of Enki Genius Cases for iPad2 around the world to our first customers. We were overwhelmed by the volume of Genius Case orders and experienced delays in shipping, tracking number distribution and customer service follow up.

As we distributed cases to customers, we listened to your feedback that the Genius case did not provide access to the iPad2 microphone and in some instances edges were not smooth.

We believe that the Genius Case should enhance the iPad2 experience and access to the microphone through the case is a must. We also believe that continuous improvement of the Genius Case is a requirement. Enki was established on the premise that we will provide exceptional products and customer service.

Over the past several weeks we have improved our product to address your feedback. The Genius Case design has been revised to accommodate the iPad2 microphone. The manufacturing process has been improved to remove rough and unfinished edges from the case.

Every customer that purchased an Enki Genius Case between April 14 - May 22, 2011 will receive a complimentary replacement case with the new microphone access and improved finish. Customers will receive a replacement Genius Case in their original order color.

jedolley
May 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
Enki just sent this announcement a few minutes ago:

Dear Enki Customers:

This month we shipped thousands of Enki Genius Cases for iPad2 around the world to our first customers. We were overwhelmed by the volume of Genius Case orders and experienced delays in shipping, tracking number distribution and customer service follow up.

As we distributed cases to customers, we listened to your feedback that the Genius case did not provide access to the iPad2 microphone and in some instances edges were not smooth.

We believe that the Genius Case should enhance the iPad2 experience and access to the microphone through the case is a must. We also believe that continuous improvement of the Genius Case is a requirement. Enki was established on the premise that we will provide exceptional products and customer service.

Over the past several weeks we have improved our product to address your feedback. The Genius Case design has been revised to accommodate the iPad2 microphone. The manufacturing process has been improved to remove rough and unfinished edges from the case.

Every customer that purchased an Enki Genius Case between April 14 - May 22, 2011 will receive a complimentary replacement case with the new microphone access and improved finish. Customers will receive a replacement Genius Case in their original order color.

Got the same email. Honestly, that's the least they can do.

3goldens
May 29, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'll give them credit for doing the right thing.

They must have taken a huge hit on this financially.

bstevenhaagen
May 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
My order got cancelled a couple of weeks ago...but I just received the case today :O

Are they gonna charge me?? I havent heard anything from them about shipping. Actually, the last email I got from them said "not yet shipped" when it was cancelled. :S

koology
Jun 11, 2011, 10:01 PM
worst case ever!! :mad:

do not care if they are sending me a new one. this case is cheap and feels like make in china. seriously... $30 bucks.... i rather go out and get something else like the belkin.

beware people. stay away from this case.

ascNYC
Jun 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
I purchased my Enki case during the pre-order, received it a few weeks ago, was unhappy with mic coverage and rough finishing, tried to get a refund with no success, received an email saying that I would be receiving a replacement but have not received anything to date.

Has anyone received their replacement case from Enki yet and if so how does it compare to the original one?

Thanks

- Andrew

MathRulz
Jun 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
Has anyone received their replacement case from Enki yet and if so how does it compare to the original one?

- Andrew

I have not, and I suspect few if any others have as yet.

Enki sent their note about replacement on Saturday, May 28th and stated they would ship after 10-14 business days. Also that they would not send tracking notices. 14 business days from May 28th was last Friday, June 17th. Shipping is probably the same slow (but free) shipping process they originally used, which took a week and a half to get to me. So I don't expect many to show up until next week. And that's if they are on schedule. And still in business. See last post on their FB Discussion page.

mrmomoman
Jun 20, 2011, 10:53 AM
When making comments like its made in China or feels like a Chinese case you have to remember that most of your companies manufacturer in China.

Apple, Belkin, Macally, etc.

When you pay $15.00 for a similar case you are not paying for any warranty, 15-20 day shipping, a return policy that is more expensive to return than the item itself, no great customer service response, no retail box, etc.

You have to pay a little more for that. Some companies like Belkin can spend upwards to 75K a month of tooling/designs just to release a new case that might not sell well. It's the risk they have to take and can afford to take as they grow.

koology
Jul 3, 2011, 11:04 AM
Has anyone got there Replacement case yet?????

It's July 3rd and still haven't gotten anything.....

jsh1120
Jul 3, 2011, 11:24 AM
Has anyone got there Replacement case yet?????

It's July 3rd and still haven't gotten anything.....

Anyone who believes that ENKI is still in business hasn't been paying attention. Sad story of incompetence and dishonesty with their customers.

ascNYC
Jul 13, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm assuming by the lack of posts that no one has received their replacement cases yet. I know some have questioned if they are still in business but their site is still up and a friend of mine recently ordered a case and received it. It was the newer version BTW.

So what gives? I've been emailing them every week or so but not surprisingly no response. This company is a complete joke!

-a

jsh1120
Jul 13, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm assuming by the lack of posts that no one has received their replacement cases yet. I know some have questioned if they are still in business but their site is still up and a friend of mine recently ordered a case and received it. It was the newer version BTW.

So what gives? I've been emailing them every week or so but not surprisingly no response. This company is a complete joke!

-a

Interesting. I'd assumed that the company had stopped filling orders. Now it appears that the promise of replacement cases was simply an effort to avoid dealing with returns of the first defective cases. The company isn't a joke. It's a criminal enterprise.

P.S. Just checked the revised website. Enki now claims they "experienced delays" in shipping the replacement cases. Frankly, I'll be pleasantly surprised if a replacement case shows up on my doorstep. And even if it does, I'd strongly advise anyone to avoid dealing with the firm.

ascNYC
Jul 22, 2011, 08:31 AM
Well the long awaited replacement to my "genius" case showed up yesterday. After a rediculous number of emails that went unanswered I had pretty much given up.

The new "improved" case I have to say really isn't that much better. Sure it has the mic cutout but the edges seem actually sharper than the original one I received and the new one also feels a little heavier. I suppose I could sand down the edges as some others here have but overall the entire experience has been a major letdown.

Just wanted to close the loop on a few earlier posts.

-ac

jsh1120
Jul 22, 2011, 08:44 AM
Well the long awaited replacement to my "genius" case showed up yesterday. After a rediculous number of emails that went unanswered I had pretty much given up.

-ac

Received an email a couple of days ago saying my replacement case had been shipped, as well. I'd given the original case away to a friend (and purchased a case from Speck) so I suspect I'll just hold onto the replacement as a spare.

I have mixed feelings about the company. Can't imagine ever dealing with them again but I suppose I'm somewhat impressed that they finally managed to make good on their commitment.

jsh1120
Jul 26, 2011, 08:09 PM
Received my "replacement" case today. Had ENKI shipped this case promptly in the first place, I suspect they would have gotten very positive reviews.

Heavier, thicker, and stiffer than my Speck case. Lacks the rear magnet to hold the SmartCover in place but otherwise seems to be somewhat better quality. Given the history of their introduction debacle, I'd have a difficult time recommending the company but the product (at least the one I've received) is a good one.

Vanessa17
Oct 10, 2011, 01:49 AM
Are people still experiencing issues with Enki??

jsh1120
Oct 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
Are people still experiencing issues with Enki??

Hard to say. The complaints on FaceBook have largely disappeared the last time I checked. I would say that after their initial catastrophes in terms of quality control, missed shipping dates, etc, the case I eventually received is the nicest one I have.

MathRulz
Oct 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hard to say. The complaints on FaceBook have largely disappeared the last time I checked. I would say that after their initial catastrophes in terms of quality control, missed shipping dates, etc, the case I eventually received is the nicest one I have.

+1. I think they (and many others) had initial problems ramping up production and quality to meet the overwhelming demand for iPad 2 cases. They did the right thing though and sent much improved replacement cases to all their initial purchasers at no charge. I still continue to use the Enki Genius case with the Apple Smart Cover. I also have other cases that I use depending on the particular circumstances.

Vanessa17
Oct 11, 2011, 05:03 AM
Thank you very much for the replies, I am weighing up whether the cheap plastic *ahem imports are worth the trouble or paying around AU$40 for an Enki cover... There are quite a few brands available here - Belkin, Kensington, Ozaki and so on.

Can anyone recommend the Enki Clear or Smoke? Does the Smoke look quite black/ dark?

jsh1120
Oct 11, 2011, 07:27 AM
Thank you very much for the replies, I am weighing up whether the cheap plastic *ahem imports are worth the trouble or paying around AU$40 for an Enki cover... There are quite a few brands available here - Belkin, Kensington, Ozaki and so on.

Can anyone recommend the Enki Clear or Smoke? Does the Smoke look quite black/ dark?

I have the clear version so I can't comment on the smoke version. I've had it on my iPad for several months with virtually no scratches. That's in stark contrast to the Speck brand that picked up lots and lots of scratches in a couple of months. Can't comment of course on Enki's shipping to Oz but the product itself is a good one.

P.S. I initially missed your reference to "AU" in your post. Anyone else who is similarly challenged in the reading department should understand that the AU to USD exchange rate is about .50 to $1.00

dqfayi
Oct 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
I have read your blog to get more details about this case, based on the images, it sounds a little hard to touch. I would like to show more attention to the soft case or aluminum case which giving me a smooth and soft feeling.

Vanessa17
Oct 13, 2011, 05:19 AM
I have the clear version so I can't comment on the smoke version. I've had it on my iPad for several months with virtually no scratches. That's in stark contrast to the Speck brand that picked up lots and lots of scratches in a couple of months. Can't comment of course on Enki's shipping to Oz but the product itself is a good one.

P.S. I initially missed your reference to "AU" in your post. Anyone else who is similarly challenged in the reading department should understand that the AU to USD exchange rate is about .50 to $1.00

Thanks for that tip about Speck, that was one of the other brands I was considering :(

I will definitely just be considering the clear version. I don't want something like rubber or slippery, is this cover firm? Do you think it would take any impact if bumped without actually cracking etc?

On a side note, our Aussie dollar has just gone back up to parity, about $1.01 US we are buying now - great for us to shop online :D

MathRulz
Oct 13, 2011, 12:11 PM
I will definitely just be considering the clear version. I don't want something like rubber or slippery, is this cover firm? Do you think it would take any impact if bumped without actually cracking etc?

On a side note, our Aussie dollar has just gone back up to parity, about $1.01 US we are buying now - great for us to shop online :D

I have the clear version. It is firm plastic, not rubbery feeling. It will take a bump without cracking.

However, if you drop your iPad on concrete and it hits on a corner as mine did, most likely the screen will crack. (I got my ipad replaced at an Apple Store.) I use the Enki and Apple Smart Cover together when I am using the iPad in one spot, at home, or doing archival research. I transport it with apple keyboard in an SF Bags iPad Wallet. Other times, such as in my office and traveling, I tend to use my Maroo case and a Targus iPad/netbook messenger style bag for more protection.

jsh1120
Oct 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that tip about Speck, that was one of the other brands I was considering :(

Enki case is quite sturdy. Not sure whether you consider polycarbonate "slippery" but it's certainly not "rubbery." I'm not willing to test its impact resistance. :) Sorry. But I think you'd have no worry about "bumping" it. It's certainly stiffer and thicker than some other cases I've seen.

BTW, I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that the Enki price was $40. That's why I noted the (now defunct) exchange rate. If you're at parity you should be able to purchase the Enki case for $20 unless they're hitting you very heavily for shipping.

By the way, their "bundle" that includes a neoprene sleeve for the iPad is not a bad deal. It's a nice sleeve.

P.S. I'd second the recommendation above for the Waterfield Designs iPad cases. I have the "Travel Express" case rather than the "Wallet" because I carry my Apple Wireless Keyboard in an Origami Workstation case and it fits better in the Travel Express but they're both beautiful and very rugged cases.

Vanessa17
Oct 14, 2011, 05:53 AM
Enki case is quite sturdy. Not sure whether you consider polycarbonate "slippery" but it's certainly not "rubbery." I'm not willing to test its impact resistance. :) Sorry. But I think you'd have no worry about "bumping" it. It's certainly stiffer and thicker than some other cases I've seen.

BTW, I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that the Enki price was $40. That's why I noted the (now defunct) exchange rate. If you're at parity you should be able to purchase the Enki case for $20 unless they're hitting you very heavily for shipping.

By the way, their "bundle" that includes a neoprene sleeve for the iPad is not a bad deal. It's a nice sleeve.

P.S. I'd second the recommendation above for the Waterfield Designs iPad cases. I have the "Travel Express" case rather than the "Wallet" because I carry my Apple Wireless Keyboard in an Origami Workstation case and it fits better in the Travel Express but they're both beautiful and very rugged cases.

Thanks for your reply. I will see if there are any stockists here in Sydney - it isn't working on the site for me now but the shipping was quite expensive :( The bundle was an attractive option too :)

I will keep those brands you mentioned in mind while I search for Enki - thanks again :)

----------

I have the clear version. It is firm plastic, not rubbery feeling. It will take a bump without cracking.

However, if you drop your iPad on concrete and it hits on a corner as mine did, most likely the screen will crack. (I got my ipad replaced at an Apple Store.) I use the Enki and Apple Smart Cover together when I am using the iPad in one spot, at home, or doing archival research. I transport it with apple keyboard in an SF Bags iPad Wallet. Other times, such as in my office and traveling, I tend to use my Maroo case and a Targus iPad/netbook messenger style bag for more protection.

Thanks for your reply. Clear it is then :) I just got a Smart Cover hence the search for a back cover. I bought a sleeve that should arrive during the week.

Auznat
Nov 17, 2011, 05:23 AM

I'm just wondering if the Ipad compartment of the Waterfield Ipad Travel Express can hold an Ipad2 with Smart cover + Enki Genius case?

thx

MathRulz
Nov 17, 2011, 11:09 AM
I'm just wondering if the Ipad compartment of the Waterfield Ipad Travel Express can hold an Ipad2 with Smart cover + Enki Genius case?

thx

I have the Waterfield iPad Wallet, and the iPad compartment will fit both Enki and Smart Cover (albeit a tight fit), so I presume theTravel Express will too.

Auznat
Nov 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
I have the Waterfield iPad Wallet, and the iPad compartment will fit both Enki and Smart Cover (albeit a tight fit), so I presume theTravel Express will too.

Thanks very much. Just ordered one.

jsh1120
Nov 18, 2011, 07:30 AM

thx

Yes, it works fine. I have that configuration. In fact, you can also fit the Origami Workstation containing the Apple Wireless Keyboard in the Travel Express, as well. It's a tight fit but it works.

I bought the Travel Express rather than the "Wallet" because the folks at Waterfield Design advised that the dedicated sleeve for the AWK in the Wallet probably would not accommodate the Origami Workstation, as well.

Auznat
Nov 18, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, it works fine. I have that configuration. In fact, you can also fit the Origami Workstation containing the Apple Wireless Keyboard in the Travel Express, as well. It's a tight fit but it works.

I bought the Travel Express rather than the "Wallet" because the folks at Waterfield Design advised that the dedicated sleeve for the AWK in the Wallet probably would not accommodate the Origami Workstation, as well.

Thank You. I have the Origami Workstation as well & it's great to hear that AWB with the OW fits in the bag.