Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
I just used Toast 5.2 to duplicate or copy a DVD (one of my own DVD's) because I don't have the origional iMovie and iDVD files.

All seemed to go ok but my Sony DVD player only displayed multicolored squares and gibberish and my Mac kernal freaked, not beleiving what I just saw I put the DVD back into my Mac and it did it again.

Any one else had this kind of experience?

Is there a way to duplicate my own DVD's?

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
You need to use a ripping program such as DVD Backup or Mac The Ripper to copy the DVD to your hard drive, you can then use Toast to burn a DVD of the VIDEO_TS folder if it's small enough, or use a program such as DVD2oneX or Popcorn to shrink it to fit in a DVD-R.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
in a similar note

i own the movie the forgotten. I was trying to make a backup of it, as i do with every one of my dvd's. but it doesnt let me, it says bad sectors write written intentionally to this disk. does this mean i cannot copy it?
andreas

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
blueflame said:
i own the movie the forgotten. I was trying to make a backup of it, as i do with every one of my dvd's. but it doesnt let me, it says bad sectors write written intentionally to this disk. does this mean i cannot copy it?
andreas

That's entirely the point, in some countries it is illegal to make back-up copies of any media, DVD included, the "bad sector" trick is one way of stopping easy copying.

Sadly, most copying is done for piracy purposes, not as back-up or for convenience.

It's OK to discuss the ins and outs of ant-piracy measures and discuss the issues here, but please don't ask for information on how to circumvent these measures, it's not allowed in these forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Sorry

I didnt mean to be bending the rules, i was just trying how to figure out how to copy my DVD.... i apologize
andreas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.