Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
I just bought the XCode 4 version of this:
http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/IPhone_iOS_4_Development_Essentials_Xcode_4_Edition

I'm on chapter 15 where I get several warnings and an error.

The warnings:
Incomplete implementation of class '*'
Incomplete implementation of class 'TableExampleViewController'

the error is on startup and says SIGABRT, If I disconnect the dataSource and delegate, the app will run, If I connect them per the book, it crashes.

The chapter is basically setting up a simple Table View, and using an array to load the data. I think they left something out of the book.

The '*' related warning seems to be a syntax error / typing error, but I can't seem to see it.

The SIGABRT seems to be related to the connection of the dataSource, which is an NSArray and set to File's Owner (as is delegate)

The website that sells the book also offers it for free online, I bought it last night and see no way to contact them or get source code.

On the up side, all the other examples are working fine.

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
Post the code & the crash.

In the tableview delegate or data source methods, are you using any variables you haven't synthesized or anything like that?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Share some code.
The thing is, an incomplete implementation could mean alot of things, like methods u defined in your .H File, but didn't use yet in your .M File.
property's u made, but didnt synthesize yet (and don't forget to release!).
Post the code, and I'm sure we could help u out :)
Also the thing is, you probably don't have an UITableViewDelegate or an UITableViewController defined in your header file. That's why it's not recognizing the datasource/delegate, so it cannot call the methods which u may have defined in the .M File, so it gives a sigbart. All I can say is, show us teh code! :p

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Most of the code is stock stuff that's generated from app template, the link in the 1st post has the entire chapter and code that they want you to add. I left out TableExampleAppDelegate.m as it's all stock, no code added there from the book example.

TableExampleAppDelegate.h
Code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@class TableExampleViewController;

@interface TableExampleAppDelegate : NSObject <UIApplicationDelegate> {

}

@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet UIWindow *window;

@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet TableExampleViewController *viewController;

@end

TableExampleViewController.h
Code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@interface TableExampleViewController : UIViewController 
<UITableViewDelegate, UITableViewDataSource> // added from book example
{

NSArray *colorNames;
}

@property (nonatomic, retain) NSArray *colorNames;

@end

TableExampleViewControler.m
Code:
#import "TableExampleViewController.h"

@implementation TableExampleViewController  // this gives warning incomplete implementation + method in protocol not implemented
@synthesize colorNames;

- (void)dealloc
{
    [colorNames release];
    [super dealloc];
}

//code from book example
// number of rows in the table view
- (NSInteger)tableview:(UITableView *)tableView
numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger) section{
    return [self.colorNames count];
}

//code from book example
//change appearance of table view cells.
- (UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath {
    static NSString *CellIdentifier = @"Cell";
    UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
    if (cell == nil) {
        cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc]
                 initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:CellIdentifier] autorelease];
    }
    //config the cell
    cell.textLabel.text = [self.colorNames
                           objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]];
    return cell;  
}

- (void)didReceiveMemoryWarning
{
    // Releases the view if it doesn't have a superview.
    [super didReceiveMemoryWarning];

// Release any cached data, images, etc that aren't in use.
}

#pragma mark - View lifecycle
// Implement viewDidLoad to do additional setup after loading the view, typically from a nib.
- (void)viewDidLoad
{
    [super viewDidLoad];
    self.colorNames = [[NSArray alloc]
        initWithObjects:@"Red", @"Green", @"Blue", @"Indigo", @"Violet", nil];

}

- (void)viewDidUnload
{
    [super viewDidUnload];
    self.colorNames = nil;
    // Release any retained subviews of the main view.
    // e.g. self.myOutlet = nil;
}

- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation
{
    // Return YES for supported orientations
    return (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait);
}

@end

Output:
Code:
2011-04-15 01:47:03.531 TableExample[12199:207] -[TableExampleViewController tableView:numberOfRowsInSection:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x4e15ce0
2011-04-15 01:47:03.533 TableExample[12199:207] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[TableExampleViewController tableView:numberOfRowsInSection:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x4e15ce0'
*** Call stack at first throw:
(
	0   CoreFoundation                      0x00dc15a9 __exceptionPreprocess + 185
	1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00f15313 objc_exception_throw + 44
	2   CoreFoundation                      0x00dc30bb -[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSelector:] + 187
	3   CoreFoundation                      0x00d32a04 ___forwarding___ + 1124
	4   CoreFoundation                      0x00d32522 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 50
	5   UIKit                               0x001d02b7 -[UISectionRowData refreshWithSection:tableView:tableViewRowData:] + 1834
	6   UIKit                               0x001cdd88 -[UITableViewRowData numberOfRows] + 108
	7   UIKit                               0x00081677 -[UITableView noteNumberOfRowsChanged] + 132
	8   UIKit                               0x0008e708 -[UITableView reloadData] + 773
	9   UIKit                               0x0008b844 -[UITableView layoutSubviews] + 42
	10  QuartzCore                          0x016aba5a -[CALayer layoutSublayers] + 181
	11  QuartzCore                          0x016adddc CALayerLayoutIfNeeded + 220
	12  QuartzCore                          0x016530b4 _ZN2CA7Context18commit_transactionEPNS_11TransactionE + 310
	13  QuartzCore                          0x01654294 _ZN2CA11Transaction6commitEv + 292
	14  UIKit                               0x000159c9 -[UIApplication _reportAppLaunchFinished] + 39
	15  UIKit                               0x00015e83 -[UIApplication _runWithURL:payload:launchOrientation:statusBarStyle:statusBarHidden:] + 690
	16  UIKit                               0x00020617 -[UIApplication handleEvent:withNewEvent:] + 1533
	17  UIKit                               0x00018abf -[UIApplication sendEvent:] + 71
	18  UIKit                               0x0001df2e _UIApplicationHandleEvent + 7576
	19  GraphicsServices                    0x00ffa992 PurpleEventCallback + 1550
	20  CoreFoundation                      0x00da2944 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE1_PERFORM_FUNCTION__ + 52
	21  CoreFoundation                      0x00d02cf7 __CFRunLoopDoSource1 + 215
	22  CoreFoundation                      0x00cfff83 __CFRunLoopRun + 979
	23  CoreFoundation                      0x00cff840 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 208
	24  CoreFoundation                      0x00cff761 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 97
	25  UIKit                               0x000157d2 -[UIApplication _run] + 623
	26  UIKit                               0x00021c93 UIApplicationMain + 1160
	27  TableExample                        0x00002519 main + 121
	28  TableExample                        0x00002495 start + 53
	29  ???                                 0x00000001 0x0 + 1
)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'NSException'
Current language:  auto; currently objective-c

//Main where it crashes:

#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
    int retVal = UIApplicationMain(argc, argv, nil, nil);  // point where it crashes
    [pool release];
    return retVal;
}

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
So the answer is right there:
Code:
reason: '-[TableExampleViewController tableView:numberOfRowsInSection:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x4e15ce0'
so that's the
Code:
- (NSInteger)tableview:(UITableView *)tableView
numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger) section{
    return [self.colorNames count];
}
so have a look inside that function, see what it does and what could be missing.
Hint: this piece is correct - you need to look for something that's missing elsewhere ;)

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
My guess right now is that the method is not defined in the @implementation so the program can't call a method that's not defined.

If that's the case, the book skipped over that part and I can't find an example of adding a method to the @implementation section.

Quote from the 'Dummies' book:
"@implementation (like @interface) is a compiler directive that says you’re about to present the code that implements a class. The name of the class appears after @implementation. Here is where you code the definitions of the individual methods."

So every method you add, you have to define in the @implementation, right?
It's probably a prototype method function starting with return type like in C++.

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
Sorry,

I was actually wrong. I thought - incorrectly - that you'd missed another thing.

I see now that you've a typo in the declaration.

try this instead:
Code:
- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section {

Sykte

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
The warnings:
Incomplete implementation of class '*'
Incomplete implementation of class 'TableExampleViewController'

This is telling you almost everything. You are not conforming to one of the protocols for UITableView. I would recommend reading the UITableView class reference http://developer.apple.com/library/...ce/UITableView_Class/Reference/Reference.html

and the TableView Programming Guide http://developer.apple.com/library/...ewsiPhone.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007451

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
WOW! did cap the 1st V in View! Still getting used to the way the autocomplete works. If you press TAB it only takes some of the autocomplete.

OK thanks!

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Few comments,

It should have been obvious from the SIGABRT error message what the problem was. There are a few things that could cause the error but it specifically said that the selector didn't exist. Looking for the selector is the first thing to do. Case and spelling always count in C-based languages. Other causes of this error would be that the delegate/dataSource outlets are connected to the wrong object.

When I'm going to build a view controller that will act like a UITableViewController I always start with the UITableViewController that is built from the template file. It has a lot of the callback methods that you need. I change the base class to UIViewController and I'm ready to go.

In cases where I need a method I try to copy it from the header file. I'll admit that using the code completion is also convenient but you've now discovered one of its pitfalls.

One other thing, in the UITableViewDataSource protocol tableView:numberOfRowsInSection: is marked as required. This means that the compiler will warn you if you're missing that method. I guess you ignored that warning? I guess you won't ignore it again.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Your right, it did give a warning 1st, I was trying to figure out what it meant, but as I started this program, several warnings came up and went away (usually waiting for me to finish a needed method)

This is actually my 1st error! I just got things setup and started typing in examples from a book. Theres a lot of things to wrap the mind around, some are different than other languages (sometimes just the terms are different)

One thing that threw me off is the Google search for SIGABRT talks about memory problems and not releasing objects... and now I see that it does relate to this as the program is being told to call something that's not there.

As far as the code completion goes, it wouldn't allow me to type in cell, only Cell or (don't remember exactly) so I had to work around it. The keystrokes are different too, in MS tab selects the item, in Xcode it's enter. I Have to unlearn a few things...

By the way, thanks for everyone input!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
One thing that threw me off is the Google search for SIGABRT talks about memory problems and not releasing objects...
SIGABRT is a run-time error. It's always wise to deal with your compile-time errors first. That is, Build your project. If you have errors/warnings, deal with them at this point. Don't try to run your app yet.. Then when they're gone, then you can Run your app. This is when run-time errors will pop up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.