PDA

View Full Version : Here's one that looks just like the iPad 1 Apple Case and Amazon finally has it in

pinkoos
Apr 15, 2011, 06:01 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UDH29K

Not eligible for Amazon Prime unfortunately.

Blorzoga
Apr 15, 2011, 06:08 AM

It looks a little fishy. It says polyurethane, then goes on to describe it as leather. The sides of the case don't appear to be cut out around the home button or the camera.

pinkoos
Apr 15, 2011, 06:13 AM
The identical leather one seems to have the appropriate cutouts and has gotten decent reviews (though the n = only 3 at this point).

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Genuine-Leather-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B004UDC5OM/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1302865917&sr=8-30

laurenr
Apr 15, 2011, 12:41 PM

The identical leather one seems to have the appropriate cutouts and has gotten decent reviews (though the n = only 3 at this point).

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Genuine-Leather-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B004UDC5OM/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1302865917&sr=8-30

Looking at the pictures, I prefer the appearance of the Polyurethane Case - it covers far less of the Ipad bezel, more in keeping with the slimmer design of the device.

pinkoos
Apr 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
Looking at the pictures, I prefer the appearance of the Polyurethane Case - it covers far less of the Ipad bezel, more in keeping with the slimmer design of the device.

Yeah, and I'm not a big fan of leather. I really liked the Apple iPad 1 case in terms of feel and I'm hoping the Acase polyurethane one will look and feel the same.

supermanfan
Apr 16, 2011, 12:36 PM
I just ordered one. My smart cover is going back to Best Buy. I hate it.

eBalut
Apr 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
I also just ordered one, in case they go out of stock or the 30% off deal goes away. I figure I can always return it if it doesn't work out. I'll post a review once I receive it.

ForumViewer
Apr 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
The original iPad case had one seam on the front cover, this has three. Totally different usability because of that.

3goldens
Apr 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
I ordered one to see if its any good. found a good deal thru amazon and it is protected by their a-z protection.
order here:

http://www.ctcstore.com/AcaseTM-EZCarry-Polyurethane-Case-ULTRA-SLIM/M/B004UDH29K.htm

use this coupon code at check out and save another 10 bucks

4BA889A2

I paid $27.56 including shipping.

pinkoos
Apr 17, 2011, 03:13 PM
I ordered one to see if its any good. found a good deal thru amazon and it is protected by their a-z protection.
order here:

http://www.ctcstore.com/AcaseTM-EZCarry-Polyurethane-Case-ULTRA-SLIM/M/B004UDH29K.htm

use this coupon code at check out and save another 10 bucks

4BA889A2

I paid $27.56 including shipping.

I did the same thing, but just ordered through Amazon. Used the same code. My total came out to be the same as well. Hope it ships soon.

Graph101
Apr 17, 2011, 04:18 PM
please review the poly-u case. Can you also observe if the flap that tucks the ipad2 inside latches off over time?

noneother
Apr 17, 2011, 07:18 PM
Please post photos when you can. Already have the tablino on the way. But really want an iPad1 case built for the 2. This could be it.

pinkoos
Apr 18, 2011, 11:05 AM
Just got shipping confirmation. It was mailed USPS First Class Mail and has an estimated delivery date of next Tuesday! Kinda irritating that something listed as "in stock" takes 4 or 5 days to even ship in the first place.

3goldens
Apr 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
yea got my shipping notice too..no date was given for delivery though!

they are in nj so I will probably have in a day or so.

will post pix when received.

pinkoos
Apr 19, 2011, 09:12 PM
First review on Amazon is up and it's 5 stars.

Here's the video review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SE5J90A0VKOB/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004UDH29K&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

xStatiCa
Apr 20, 2011, 11:40 AM
This case was an instant buy for me. This is precisely what I wanted apple to make. The video review definitely confirms that I made a good decision. I love the old ipad 1 case look and feel.

jedolley
Apr 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
First review on Amazon is up and it's 5 stars.

Here's the video review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SE5J90A0VKOB/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004UDH29K&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

From what I can tell from the video, It looked like the ambient light sensor might be covered by the case. It was hard to tell from the shot of the front when it the case, but it looked that way to me. The sensor is near impossible to see on the black, but since it's above the front camera, the case comes down to far where it's right above the front camera then the sensor is covered.

tanster
Apr 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
From what I can tell from the video, It looked like the ambient light sensor might be covered by the case. It was hard to tell from the shot of the front when it the case, but it looked that way to me. The sensor is near impossible to see on the black, but since it's above the front camera, the case comes down to far where it's right above the front camera then the sensor is covered.

I wondered about that, too. Of course, my current iPad 2 case also covers the ambient light sensor, so I wonder if that is something I can live with. Because aside from that, this looks like the perfect case for me!

3goldens
Apr 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
Looks can be very deceiving. Was really looking forward to this case. While it does not cover the ambient light sensor it does cover half the home button. I just can not live with that!

It also is not at all like the original apple case, feels completely different look, hastily made, cheap rubber garbage.

You can see from the pictures I posted. One can even make out the magnet in the front cover. It does sleep wake and does not trigger when the back is against the back of the ipad. The magnets appear to be very strong, not sure that is good or bad but the front certainly stays attached to itself when folded in half!

Don't waste your time on this one folks! Returning mine as soon as I finish this!

pinkoos
Apr 20, 2011, 02:47 PM
Aw, man. That's a real bummer. I'll have to rewatch that video and see if it showed the Home button being partially obscured by the case.

Well, I'll still wait in anticipation for mine to arrive, though it won't be with as much baited breath.

pinkoos
Apr 20, 2011, 02:49 PM
By the way, I guess one option if you were to opt not to return it is to take an Exacto to the little "lip" covering up the Home button and just cut out the area that is obscuring it. Just a thought. If I end up liking everything else about the case, I just may do that.

jedolley
Apr 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Looks can be very deceiving. Was really looking forward to this case. While it does not cover the ambient light sensor it does cover half the home button. I just can not live with that!

It also is not at all like the original apple case, feels completely different look, hastily made, cheap rubber garbage.

You can see from the pictures I posted. One can even make out the magnet in the front cover. It does sleep wake and does not trigger when the back is against the back of the ipad. The magnets appear to be very strong, not sure that is good or bad but the front certainly stays attached to itself when folded in half!

Don't waste your time on this one folks! Returning mine as soon as I finish this!

Not that it matters... But are you sure the top does not cover the light sensor? Even in your picture it looks like the top comes right down to the camera and since the light sensor is above the camera, then it would mean that it's covered.

atomicbatteries
Apr 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
Not that it matters... But are you sure the top does not cover the light sensor? Even in your picture it looks like the top comes right down to the camera and since the light sensor is above the camera, then it would mean that it's covered.

Shame it is not what is advertised!

3goldens
Apr 20, 2011, 11:48 PM

Actually I think your right. It does cover it, my mistake.

And why would I take an exacto knife to something that is supposed to fit.

Bottom line is the case is a very cheap imitation copy of the original case with a smart cover with an oversized magnet, and a lip that covers two critical components of the ipad.

The material is junk, feels much differently than the apple case, cant exactly put my finger on it but a big enough difference that I would not keep the thing for 20 bucks.

I would rather get another Yoobao case or use my old Mophie leather case with a feather case on the back, fits pretty snuggly then!

3goldens
Apr 21, 2011, 12:46 PM
Looking at the pictures, I prefer the appearance of the Case -but the price is a little higher, maybe this one is much better.
http://www.chinabangbo.com/ipad-leather-case-flower-p-406.html

no flaps for me!

supermanfan
Apr 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
Got mine today. Overall, meh.

The material, to me, isn't as nice as the original Apple case.

The home button is not halfway blocked as reported by another. Maybe 15%. I'll live

The ambient light sensor is definitely blocked. Not good.

Unsure if I will keep it. Much better than the smart cover. I feel like I can put this into my backpack and not worry.

Apple, you can sell smart covers AND full cases! Give us the choice!

zek72
Apr 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
I received mine today. This product is close to the Apple iPad1 case which is why I got it. Is the quality as good as the Apple iPad1 case? No. The back cover is very good but the ambient lighting sensor is covered. If you want the back protected, this is by far the thinnest full iPad2 cover I've seen. I'm happy and keeping it.

pinkoos
Apr 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
Got mine today. Will report back once I get the Speck PixelSkin off and this one on.

xStatiCa
Apr 23, 2011, 09:02 AM
I really like mine. The material feels very close to the iPad 1 case material just slight more matte finish to it. It attracts a little more dust than the iPad 1 case probably be ause of that. The quality is not quite as good but very close to me. If feels the same. The magnet cover works very well. It stays in position because of the extra magnets. The iPad goes to sleep reliably when closed and does not have the proble other cases have had when opened where the magnets in the lif put the iPad to sleep when it is flipped back.

There are a few minor issues with the case none of which is a problem for me. They are just things that could be improved to make it better.

The covering of the top button is about 40% on mine. It is not really an issue for me. You can still push the button easily. For some though they just might not like that fact.

I am still experimenting with the light sensor. I just disabled it when I got the case assuming it was an issue because it appears to be covered.

The iPad can move in the case over time left and right slightly (when looking at the case in portait mode). It is not noticeable though and i bet most wont even realize it. If they would have made the outline slimmer it would have fitted better. The flap that tucks in works well though so that helps minimize it. The flap area looks like a perfect match to the iPad 1 case.

I would give the case a 9 for quality, 7 for fit(mainly because of light sensor and top bottom coverage), 9 for finish, 10 for functionality.

I showed this case to 3 people at work and 2 of them are ordering one now. They really liked it.

For a future revision if they can make sure not to cover the button and light sensor and maybe offer more colors( I would pay twice as much for white) they could have a flawless case. For me this is my favorite so far. I will probably be using this one exclusively.

AJayAgliolio
Apr 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
Just got this case today in the mail and I'm pretty happy with it.

The material feels pretty similar to the original case, similar enough anyway. The iPad fits pretty snug, but as mentioned elsewhere, there's a design flaw with the case because it obscures the 'ambient light sensor' and part of the 'home button.' My solution will be to cut grooves with an exacto knife.

The smart-cover part of this case almost works as advertised. The magnet does it's job of keeping the case closed and turning the iPad on and off when the cover is lifted...BUT I also find that when I fold the cover back and hold it a certain way it will turn the iPad on and off as well. My solution for this is to turn off the auto-on/off feature, which kind of sucks but I can easily live without that feature.

Besides those listed problems, I really like the case because of the way it feels and it's functionality. This is the case that Apple should have made for iPad 2, and although it's not quite up to Apple's quality standards, it will fill in nicely as my everyday case...at least until a better version comes along.

spinedoc77
Apr 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
I also find that when I fold the cover back and hold it a certain way it will turn the iPad on and off as well. My solution for this is to turn off the auto-on/off feature, which kind of sucks but I can easily live without that feature.

Odd, I haven't had this happen to me at all. Is it possible your iPad is malfunctioning?

AJayAgliolio
Apr 24, 2011, 07:43 AM
Odd, I haven't had this happen to me at all. Is it possible your iPad is malfunctioning?

No, if anything the case may be malfunctioning because I tried it out with my wife's iPad too and the same thing happens... Flip the cover back and hold it too tight or just a certain way and it'll put the iPad to sleep while you're using it. Pretty annoying.

xStatiCa
Apr 24, 2011, 07:55 AM
No, if anything the case may be malfunctioning because I tried it out with my wife's iPad too and the same thing happens... Flip the cover back and hold it too tight or just a certain way and it'll put the iPad to sleep while you're using it. Pretty annoying.
I just tried as hard as I could to get mine to sleep when the cover is flipped back by trying to force the end of the cover closer to the iPad and trying to force the cover into positions it doesn't naturally go to on mine and I could not get mine to trigger the sleep problem.

If yours does then I would definitely return it for a new one. Yours must have been an anomaly. It will be interesting to get more reports from others. Mine definitely doesn't have the problem though. My first edition yoobao case would trigger the sleep when going back easily.

AJayAgliolio
Apr 24, 2011, 08:00 AM
I just tried as hard as I could to get mine to sleep when the cover is flipped back by trying to force the end of the cover closer to the iPad and trying to force the cover into positions it doesn't naturally go to on mine and I could not get mine to trigger the sleep problem.

If yours does then I would definitely return it for a new one. Yours must have been an anomaly. It will be interesting to get more reports from others. Mine definitely doesn't have the problem though. My first edition yoobao case would trigger the sleep when going back easily.

It's sort of good knowing that this problem isn't happening to everyone b/c I really like the case, especially if it would work properly :P I'll contact the seller and see about an exchange. Thanks.