PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at Boot Screen, Nothing Working

Kyle4
Apr 15, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'm a fairly experienced Mac user but my over confidence got in the way when using the Lion Dev Build and I'm very worried about the state of MBP (I'm typing this from another computer). I was stupid enough to make it my main OS instead of creating a partition.

I installed the Lion dev from a torrent, it worked smoothly without any hitches. Under today's Dev 2 update post a user posted the direct download links to the newest updates. I downloaded Lion Client DP2 Update 1 and it said it installed successfully and that I had to restart. My Mac now won't go past the boot up screen. The circle just turns and turns.

I have tried: Inserting the SN Leopard disc and booting into it. It won't let me downgrade or access the disc, it says "Hold the power button to reset" after reading it for awhile. Everytime I try it. I now can't even get the disc out. I made a Time Machine back up right before installing Lion but have no idea how to access it now since the SL disc isn't doing anything and it keeps hanging at the Apple logo.

Am I completely screwed or is there anything I can do to fix this. At this point I'll be content with the pre botched update version of Lion I had.

Macbook Pro 2.4 GhZ, 4GB Ram, Mid 2010

Burgess07
Apr 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
Have you tried booting off the recovery partition to restore the time machine backup?

http://www.cultofmac.com/mac-os-x-lion-adds-recovery-partition-support-gallery/83737

Outsider
Apr 15, 2011, 08:25 PM
When you boot off the snow leopard DVD you're going to have to run Disk utility from the tools menu and Repartition the drive. This will erase it as well. Install Snow Leopard after that to the fresh disk.

Kyle4
Apr 16, 2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks for your replies.

When I hold option after rebooting the only thing that shows up is "Macintosh HD". I've plugged in the external drive that the Time Machine back up is on but it doesn't show up.

As far as booting off the SL DVD, I currently can't and that's my biggest worry. I hold option at start-up, select the SL DVD, it reads for awhile at the Apple logo and then a text window pops up that says hold the power button down to reset. I can't get any further than that.

Kyle4
Apr 16, 2011, 08:49 AM
I have now managed to fix the problem. It finally took the Snow Leopard disc, I did a clean install and then upon restart restored the computer from a Time Machine backup. I love TM, it's so great it even restored the last tabs I closed on Chrome. Next time I'll be sure to create a separate partition for things to toy with.

Thanks for your help.

roblawton
Apr 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm having the same problem at the moment.

I installed the OSX Lion update on my MacBook Air with no problems (my test machine) and so updated my iMac shortly afterwards.

Upon restarting, it just hung at the blue screen and wouldn't let me load anything. Not even safe mode or anything.

Finally got my SL DVD in and got to the recovery menu but my first restore from Time Machine failed!

Just gonna try again before I really bite the bullet and just do a clean install of Snow Leopard.

roblawton
Apr 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
Quick update. Restore didn't work, upon restart I just hit the blue screen again.

May try to restore from a little further back before doing a clean reinstall.

Crap!

roblawton
Apr 17, 2011, 04:59 PM
Final update.

Nothing worked, I couldn't restore at all. So I ended up clean installing Snow Leopard and recovering what I could from Time Machine bit by bit.

You can read of the whole saga here - http://roblawton.com/2011/04/17/the-importance-of-backing-up-lesson-learnt/

Kept me occupied over the weekend anyway.

organik
Jul 3, 2011, 10:47 AM
same problem here with Lion GM. Also holding v and s do nothing. Sits on Apple Logo forever, no boot. Safe mode same thing.

floatingspirit
Jul 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have now managed to fix the problem. It finally took the Snow Leopard disc, I did a clean install and then upon restart restored the computer from a Time Machine backup. I love TM, it's so great it even restored the last tabs I closed on Chrome. Next time I'll be sure to create a separate partition for things to toy with.

Thanks for your help.

Lucky b*st*rd

I can't get past the "you must shut down your computer" message.