Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topspin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
I go to disk utility.
Pick my 74.5 GB Fujitsu MHT20...
Go to Erase folder button.
it wont let me press erase.

It says Mac OS Extended (journaled) as the Volume Format. and the name is untitled. And it also wont let me change anything or do anything here,

Any ideas?

topspin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
edesignuk said:
I suppose it's too much to ask you to look???

For god sake, you want help, help us help you. Or just don't bother...like I'm not going to now.

u dont have to be bitchy about it geezz

topspin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
jimsowden said:
Are you trying to erase a volume you're booting off of? That would be asinine.

umm, im new to mac. and what do they mean by volume.
I just wanna erase ery thing on that disk

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
If it is the boot drive.... .you need to learn a few things.

Boot off of your panther cd.... then erase.

why would you ever want to erase your boot disk without the cd (if you even could) I know you can't just simple logic shows the need to be in something else...

kyle

p.s boot drive means your startup disk. or your boot disk. If it is the hard drive you are using to run os x.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
topspin98 said:
its just not letting me press anything in that folder.

This is babble. "press"? "folder"?

If it's not letting you erase the drive when you select it in Disk Utility, then 99% likely it's your boot drive, which you cannot erase when you're booted from it. If you want to erase it, boot from your installer CD and select Disk Utility from the Installer menu and erase your boot disk, kissing all your data goodbye... so I hope you have a backup.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
topspin98 said:
umm, im new to mac. and what do they mean by volume.
I just wanna erase ery thing on that disk

Logical mounted units.

Floppies, internal hard drives, CD-R/RWs, DVD-R/RW/RAMs, external hard drives, partitions, USB flash drives, etc..

topspin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
yellow said:
This is babble. "press"? "folder"?

If it's not letting you erase the drive when you select it in Disk Utility, then 99% likely it's your boot drive, which you cannot erase when you're booted from it. If you want to erase it, boot from your installer CD and select Disk Utility from the Installer menu and erase your boot disk, kissing all your data goodbye... so I hope you have a backup.

Thanks. ill do that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.