PDA

View Full Version : Virtualization: OSX 10.7 Lion

wbyung
Apr 16, 2011, 02:25 AM
I assume that the virtualization software namely Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion and Sun's VirtualBox would support OSX 10.7 Lion as the guest operating system.

But since there won't be OSX Lion Server, I would assume Apple has to open up virtualization of Lion Desktop.

Let's see how it goes.

roadbloc
Apr 16, 2011, 04:43 AM
Unlikely.

logandzwon
Apr 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Your logic doesn't really make any sense... but I hope they do allow visualizing.

Mr. Retrofire
Apr 18, 2011, 06:05 PM
Your logic doesn't really make any sense... but I hope they do allow visualizing.
How do they do that?

;)

wbyung
Jul 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
bump

iBunny
Jul 21, 2011, 06:43 PM
At the moment Parallels Desktop 6 doesn't support Lion's new features, but we are actively working to make these changes in the near future. Please keep checking our Twitter, Facebook and website for more updates. Thanks guys!

I have not installed Parallels 6 yet since Wiping and Starting over w/ Lion.

Does Parallels 6 even work right now in Lion? Even if it does not support Lion's features, will it still install and run a vm?

BiggAW
Jul 21, 2011, 07:32 PM
How would you install Lion as a VM? You can't start with SL and upgrade, since SL doesn't support it.... I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Maybe burn the recovery DVD to a DMG and then boot that in Parallels and then download from there?

iBunny
Jul 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
I have not installed Parallels 6 yet since Wiping and Starting over w/ Lion.

Does Parallels 6 even work right now in Lion? Even if it does not support Lion's features, will it still install and run a vm?

To clairify what im asking. With Lion installed as my MacBook Pro OS, can I run parallels and a Windows VM? Or has parallels not yet been updated to run ON Lion.

Not asking if I can install Lion as a VM.

iBunny
Jul 21, 2011, 07:40 PM
How would you install Lion as a VM? You can't start with SL and upgrade, since SL doesn't support it.... I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Maybe burn the recovery DVD to a DMG and then boot that in Parallels and then download from there?

umm, not sure what you are asking but I would never upgrade SL to Lion anyway.

I have immediately extracted the Lion Disk Image, burned it to a CD and/or make a USB installer and do a clean install.

There is no need what so ever to do a SL -> Lion Upgrade.

So maybe to answer your question, I would install Lion as a VM by just installing it from Scratch from the disk image.

BiggAW
Jul 21, 2011, 07:58 PM
To clairify what im asking. With Lion installed as my MacBook Pro OS, can I run parallels and a Windows VM? Or has parallels not yet been updated to run ON Lion.

Not asking if I can install Lion as a VM.

Mine works fine. Haven't tried 7 but XP was peppy as ever.

I upgraded two machines to Lion from SL. Worked fine, very easy. Clean install would be a real pain compared to upgrade, so why bother? Maybe if you haven't done one for a while, but I just did one a month or two ago when I got this machine, so no need for Lion.

BiggAW
Jul 21, 2011, 08:01 PM
Update: 7 works fine. Actually both seem faster than before, maybe just my imagination. Maybe it's just my SSD, but it took 10 seconds boot to login screen.

iBunny
Jul 21, 2011, 08:04 PM
Mine works fine. Haven't tried 7 but XP was peppy as ever.

I upgraded two machines to Lion from SL. Worked fine, very easy. Clean install would be a real pain compared to upgrade, so why bother? Maybe if you haven't done one for a while, but I just did one a month or two ago when I got this machine, so no need for Lion.

Thats good to know. Thx for the update.

I know Apple has streamlined the process for a in-place upgrade of an OS, but working in the IT field everyday of my life for the past 10 years, I have seen more bad than good come from an OS upgrade vice a clean install. And actually, I have probably saved more time backing everything up, formatting, clean installing the OS, and setting it up from scratch then dealing with whatever miscellaneous issues that may or may not arise from an upgrade. Perhaps its just my preference.

BiggAW
Jul 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
Thats good to know. Thx for the update.

I know Apple has streamlined the process for a in-place upgrade of an OS, but working in the IT field everyday of my life for the past 10 years, I have seen more bad than good come from an OS upgrade vice a clean install. And actually, I have probably saved more time backing everything up, formatting, clean installing the OS, and setting it up from scratch then dealing with whatever miscellaneous issues that may or may not arise from an upgrade. Perhaps its just my preference.

Windows definitely, Mac seems to handle upgrades well. I used to reformat all the time on Windows, but now with Mac, I don't re-install much, and even then, I pull all data, settings, etc in from TM.

Hugh
Aug 1, 2011, 06:15 PM
As of now, with the latest build of Parallels Desktop 6 (12094), it does not take advantage of Lion's new features, but it IS compatible. Please see the following KB article for more info: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111612

I don't think you are answering the question right. He/She wants to know if they can VM Lion. Not only use a VM in Lion, but VM Lion. The current answer no.

Hugh

gentlefury
Aug 1, 2011, 06:27 PM
I assume that the virtualization software namely Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion and Sun's VirtualBox would support OSX 10.7 Lion as the guest operating system.

But since there won't be OSX Lion Server, I would assume Apple has to open up virtualization of Lion Desktop.

Let's see how it goes.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

What do you mean there won't be OSX Lion Server??