Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Hi

I have had my ipad smart cover a little over 3 weeks and the hinge is wearing out already!

The anodised coating has chiped away leaving black marks and the dust is sticking to my ipad leaving black marks pics below:
IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Anyone else have this has it been fixed?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Mine has been doing the same, and it has left a small black mark on the inside of the smart cover where it touches when it is in "stand" mode.

Pretty annoying, I'm also wondering if everyones does this over time or if it is something I can get exchanged at an Apple store..?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Thank you for the pics and info. It reinforced my decision of not getting a smart case.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Mine is doing the same thing. Still love it. In other news, my car tires no longer look new and I am no longer a virgin.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
Mine doesn't have that, and I've had mine since launch day in the US. And it probably wouldn't bother me all that much anyway. It would bother me more if it was marking the ipad, which it hasn't been.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Thank you for the pics and info. It reinforced my decision of not getting a smart case.

Yes, I'm sure all other cases will take normal wear and tear and look perfect for many years to come. Eww, a tiny black mark! <shudders>

FWIW, my launch day black smart cover's build quality is just fine, but then again, I haven't fired up the electron microscope, either. :)

OP, your Apple smart cover is UNDER WARRANTY for one year, so if you're not happy with it, bring it to the Genius Bar and they will help you out.

Papajz

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Long Island, New York
Have mine since 5:01 pm of launch still in good shape, but what annoys me is that the magnets let go often and cover comes off. This happens only when open. I think it does it a bit too much!

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Mine doesn't have that, and I've had mine since launch day in the US. And it probably wouldn't bother me all that much anyway. It would bother me more if it was marking the ipad, which it hasn't been.

Same here, no problems.

junker

macrumors 6502
lol! I had the EXACT same problem and EXACT same photos, that I started in a thread around here somewhere. I noticed my issue within the first week and returned it.

It was funny how the Apple "genus" (special branch of humanity) showed me his and smugly stated" See, even mine has it" (As if I somehow would temper my complaint once I realized it was a commonplace issue.... he don't know me very well, now do he?)

To which I replied " How long have you had it?"

He said " A little over a month"

To which I retorted "I've had this less than a week!"

Then he admitted " Well, this has also been handled by a few dozen people"

And I said "And you're ok with that damage?"

and finally, with a look of indignant shame "Well it's only mine at work. We can refund you for everything, if you like (meaning the ipad too)"

I returned my cover. Then I went to best buy (across the street) and got some little leather, folio crap cover, that at least covered the back and the edges - for half the price of the "It smarts cover" (It "smarts" to pay this much and it "smarts" when it damages your new 900 dollar ipad"

Good luck with your resolution.

EDIT: My thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1127522/

EDIT 2: My cover (From Best Buy, it's ok...not great) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Griffin...lack/2374327.p?id=1218323066503&skuId=2374327

Last edited:

junker

macrumors 6502
Thanks junker, your thread helped me... I just wet my finger like the guy in the thread said and wiped it off...

I'm glad for you that it helped, but I also didn't like the permanent abrasion to the cover itself. I suspect that would only continue to mark/affect the ipad 2 - for which I felt was an unacceptable effect, this early in.

My wife still has my 3gS iphone with very little damage caused by the case, nor mine and her use after several years.

I can accept my own usage scuffing and damage.

But I will NOT tolerate accessories CAUSING damage and scuffing! I don't care how picky folks think I'm being, it's the principle of the thing. IE: Why get a cover to protect your iPad if you don't care that the cover damages the iPad and itself - when used within normal usage?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.